The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking research... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24256 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-10-23 14:57, ringmaster wrote:
Wonderful bibliography, hopefully one of our language experts will put out English translations of some of them.
Missing is Henry Mathew "London Labor and London Poor" , it may be referenced in some of the other works.
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=fIoBA......put=html Ace Starry "The Magic Life"
Billy Bryant "The Children of Ol' Man River" , rare but wonderful look at showboats and medicine
shows, including making and pitching "electric belts"
I've always seen the busker as more Trubador or Gypsy showman, than Trixter myself. It might profit you to look into the "shaking tent" rite of Native Americans, also.
You might find this interesting too. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=27
Good luck, my friend

As one of the resident "language experts," I can state categorically that the probability of ever seeing an English version of any of the German publications is basically nil.

Why would this be? It's very simple. Money. There isn't enough money in translating these books to make it feasible. Let's say that we have a book with a potential market of 300 people. Let's say we have another book that is about the same length with a potential market of 3000 people. It takes the same approximate effort to translate both books. Which one would YOU translate?

Another problem is getting permission to publish a translation of a book.

Regarding Royal Touch, it is a tragedy that the original English version has been lost. The present English version is a translation into English of a German translation of the original. There are MANY errors in the present English version.

Korbinian, with all respect, I would suggest that you check previous threads to see what has already been posted about The Royal Touch and Dreamer's Highway so you don't duplicate what has already been done. If you can find these threads, it would also be a good idea to add your comments to the existing threads.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1672 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Two things Bill;
We really need a translation of Jero, which may have some busking reference or at least C&B. I'd like to see a bound version, but eBook or print on demand is chopped liver either. You or that other Texas publisher, or the other eBook guy who speaks good German. No names please.
Is it posable to get The Fleming Classics back in print in some form ?
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1672 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24256 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-11-26 00:18, ringmaster wrote:
Two things Bill;
We really need a translation of Jero, which may have some busking reference or at least C&B. I'd like to see a bound version, but eBook or print on demand is chopped liver either. You or that other Texas publisher, or the other eBook guy who speaks good German. No names please.
Is it posable to get The Fleming Classics back in print in some form ?

I suppose you mean the Joro book, Kleines Becherspiel Kompendium. I have permission to translate it, but I've put it on the back burner for now. Too many complications with the publication. You have to realize that it's not just the translation.

Let me give you an example of what I mean. About a decade ago, I was asked to translate Borodin's book Sheherazed into English. An American publisher had the rights to publish the book. The German publisher owns the German version. So, I translated the book for the German publisher and submitted the manuscript to him on DVD. I thought he was going to publish it. He thought the American publisher was going to publish it. At first, it didn't matter that much to me. However, I met Borodin, and we discovered that we had a lot of mutual interests.

Now the crux of the matter was this. The German publisher paid me to translate the book. After that, it was up to him whether or not it got published. The American "publisher" was simply going to be a distributor for the book.

This was a twist on a familiar story. I have written several books that never got published. I had also written several translations of German books that I got a tiny pittance of the amount I had coming to me. So here I was with a really good book, and it didn't look like it would ever see the light of day.

I had never published a hardback book before. I got permission from the German publisher to publish the book. I spent a little over $1000 for the right software, plus an equal amount to get a computer that was capable of handling the work. I didn't have the money to publish the book, though. So I took the Cezanne code out of the book, and I used it to produce the seed money for the publication. The book sold out. I paid Borodin a royalty, and I refunded the money that the German publisher had paid me for the translation.

I didn't make a cent on the book.

I've had requests to reprint it, but it's not going to happen. Why? I would have to be guaranteed that I could sell at least 500 copies of it before I did the work. Otherwise, each copy would cost a tremendous amount of money.

It's too good a book for Lulu.com.

There is not enough busking material in the Joro book to make it worthwhile for the busker to use it. There are a number of basic routines, but nothing earth-shattering. By the time I split the take with the original publisher and Joro, I wouldn't make anything.

Even the historical section, which was of marginal interest, i.e. the part about the "Hofzinser cups," has been disproved, and there is a much more complete bibliography available.

Regarding the Fleming Classics -- the Carl Waring Jones estate owns them, and they won't pass into the public domain for a while.

They are still available from used book dealers. They are not very expensive. You just need to know who to call.

So, the answer on the Fleming classics is basically not likely.

The other German translator from Texas isn't here any longer. He moved back to Utah for a family committment.

You must understand that it's not just a matter of being able to speak German well, when it comes to translating. The translator must have a comprehensive knowledge of conjuring terms in both languages, and his/her skills in the target language must be flawless. Otherwise, you wind up with a botch job like the reverse translation of The Royal Road. Of equal importance is the ability to translate in a style that is consistent with the speech and writing of the author.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1672 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Thank you
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Concerning Munich, there's no need to get bent out of shape. Laws are simply changed over time. As one city goes about forbidding busking, another city is just starting to allow it. Things change. I busked Munich's main shopping street way back in 1992 and no permit was needed then.
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24256 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This area from Karlsplatz (Stachus) to Marienplatz is one of the greatest places to busk and to sightsee in Munich. The problem is that EVERYONE knows about it. So they regulate it. The last time I was there, I saw an incredible busking act. I have NEVER seen a busking magic show that came close to the appeal that it had.

It was a fellow who played the marimba. He was excellent. He had marvelous crowd control. He made a huge amount in his hat, plus he sold CD's. He was very careful not to clog the foot traffic or to impede people getting into or out of the stores where he was playing.

In the Marienplatz in 1990, I saw some fairly original busking ideas. Back then there was very little regulation at all.

Salzburg has some excellent places to busk.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking research... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL