The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » New BIkes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CardCutter
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of CardCutter
Has anyone tried the new bikes yet? I haven't seen them in the stores and wondering whats so great about them.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
You mean the Mandolins, not the bikes?

I have the mandolin ID, Its very nice. Don't ask me how it compares to other IDs cause I've never owned another.

If you want to know about the ungaffed Mandolins, there are long argumentative threads in "The Workers" Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
CardCutter
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of CardCutter
Yes the Mandolins. Where did you get them?
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Any online magic site should carry it. Murphy's is one.
I just realized this and maybe I'm late on this, but if any self respecting magician can do miracles with a borrowed deck, a borrowed deck that is unknown and always in most cases toast like creased, dog eared, crimped, coffee stained, etc. and in some circles encourage the use of, then what the hell is all the fuss about the quality of Mandolins (aside from the back design, so bfd, okay) compared to a borrowed deck. It's not you, but I'm really intolerant of people on this forum that overly criticize playing cards but I will say this that I just read about the subtle or not so the finishes on cards - Linoid (Tally Ho) vs. Air Cushioned Finish (Bikes) vs. Cambric Finish (Bee) which may lend to some "feel" or handling traits and how they react or not to external conditions such as humidity.
If we're talking brand new cards - they are all good, it's skill and presentation that counts. And I'll add one more thing - not being able to faro "right out of the box" is not a deal breaker for me but apparently for some it's life or death. puleaze.
just go to Costco or Sam's or Walmart for reg, bikes and royal road card book and hole yourself up (figuratively) and emerge yourself a rather decent card magic guy in a year (not knowing where you're at level wise).
Some believe that learning sleights or routines take hours or less even without the basic card handling foundations - how delusional and what a set up for failure and embarrassment.
CardCutter
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of CardCutter
In your opinion rklew64 which do you prefer the best card type? But I do agree with you about the feel out of a brand new deck
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5842 Posts

Profile of motown
Technically the Mandolins are Bikes, as they're sill branded Bicycle on the boxes.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Hi Guys,
Ok, here goes too much information : )

For my everyday real world:
1) Bikes for practice and most impromptu performance, right? most common and accessible of course
2) Tally Ho - smooth and can really take some abuse - use it for planned out performances meaning not for family and friends.
3) Bee - good action overall, really nice, it is more flexy

But if I won the lottery, Tallys!, so when I do play with them, it always feel wow and professional, cards are slightly more cooperative.

honorable mentions would be:
Anglo, Swedish cards - very nice. Cyberqat - I have their ID deck and it is pretty nice.
Angel, Japan - crisp, great snap - I have them because I attended a lecture of Shoot Ogawa and those to be his default decks.
Cartimundi -ehh, commericial and commissioned for many licensed brands as well as Bicycles.
Fournier, Spain - great cards and noo not because Lee Asher likes them. mmmm

Oh, and a tip from a lecture/workshop I attended with someone that is a contributor from Theory 11 and writes for Genii, dab some sportwick on fingertips (experiment)!!! Get that stuff from any Office supply chain, it's what bank tellers. Not all the time but it does help, like a secret helper. No scent and gives just a hint of tackiness!!

Well, hope you find your ideal cards. Cheers

Sorry, forgot where I pulled this from but it was from a google search I recall. I think it's a good objective factual descript.

Bicycle: Air-Cushion Finish.
And "Air-Cushion" Is a "pocket" of air, used to absorb shock.
An "Air-Cushion" is used in most trucks, and other vehicles.
For example, when a truck is climbing a mountain,
it uses shocks to help absorb the "Shock" of the bouncing.
This is where Air-Cushion comes into play.
The air cusioning helps the shocks to absorb the "Bounce",
and gives the vehicle extra spring. ( For big hills, etc. )

Same goes for Bicycle Cards.
They Bicycle cards are manufactured with an air-cushion.
If you notice in a new pack when first opened,
you can see groups of 10 cards at a time, divided
with a slightly different colour in the breaks. This is the air-cushion.
All this does is give the Bicycles that extra "spring"
when performing magic, and/or flourishes.
Tally-Ho's and bicycle are pretty equal in quality however.
We will get to that.
________________________________________ ________________

Tally-Ho Playing Cards: Linoid Finish.
Basically what a "Linoid" Finish is. Is a life-extender.
It adds an extra coat onto the cards to keep them from
getting sticky. It also holds the quality to where fans can
be executed more easily. This is why in a new pack of Tally-Ho's,
the cards a extremly stiff. This is caused by the Linoid finish.
Tally-Ho's, like Bicycles. Are GREAT for using in card magic.
( Overall opinion from magicians ) They are pretty much equal
in quality. The Tally-Ho's will most likley last longer,
whilst the Bicycles will spring better.
( general statment with slight opinion )
________________________________________ _______________

Bee Playing cards: Cambric Finish.
Cambric is a cotton like matirial that can also be found
in very expensive bed-sheets. Cambric is atually a "Woven" cotten.
If you notice the design in Bee playing cards,
it is a Woven design. This is because of the Cambric finish.
I am not saying that Bee's are made of cotten,
I am saying it uses the matirial, and is woven the same way.
This is why ( if you notice ) Bee's seem to be soft when shuffling.
Cambric allows cards to be bent more, without giving to much-
damage to the cards. The Cambric in my opinion seems
to absorb a lot pressure on the cards,
to make for a better shuffle.
________________________________________ _______________
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5842 Posts

Profile of motown
I really like Cartamundi's Blackjack brand cards. Nice back and handle well.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-10-20 09:30, motown wrote:
Technically the Mandolins are Bikes, as they're sill branded Bicycle on the boxes.

We could get rally pedantic on this one...

They maybe bicycle brand cards, but there is no bicycle on the back of the card.

Since "Bike" is slang, it rally has no specific defined meaning.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5842 Posts

Profile of motown
Bikes is slang for Bicycle. The same way Chevy is slang for Chevrolet

Both Mustang and Taurus have the Ford brand on them.
I can say I own a Mustang or I can say I own a Ford or Ford Mustang

Yes, Cardcutter you were correct.
– Karl Germain
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Pendantic - great word, have not used that one in a while. I have one - verbose, That's ME!

I have the Black jacks too, both in the gold and black back color, ok there are the few exceptions. kinda hard to get, right? I forgot where I got mines.

USPCC is the parent company of many off shoot brands.

Oh forgot another Brand, Piatnik - Austria - funky and seem to stay with bridge size.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5842 Posts

Profile of motown
Rklew64,

your right about finding the Blackjacks. I went right to the source.
– Karl Germain
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2102 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Rklew64, thanks for the great brief description for those decks. Some guys that are new to this hobby or community may find that info useful and helpful.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Thanks to you Failed Magician, Motown and Cyberqat for having a sense of humor. I think this is my first positive contribution w/o being grumpy and overly snarky. Waaaait.. I see someone wants to do homemade Kennedy half dollar flippers, TUCize it and then softening it and then erasing the reverse to make it a shiner and then can they get away with glue gunning a hook on it made from a paperclip and wanting to know what is the best guage to start off with. Oh well so much for that..I've got a job. gotta run! : )
CardCutter
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of CardCutter
Rklew64 in your opinoin which deck is the "best"?
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Tally Ho - I use it on various occasions, I really like both back designs, Fan and Circle - there are about to date 4 color variations for each back but the circle back added a green back, so 9 all together. A time when magic was treated with more class during the 40's and 50's. Yep, a deck of black backed Tallys ,real silver Morgans, and a 14" silver tipped wand and throw in an Okito box = a very cool evening of kick ass magic!

They are super smooth and have this almost self glide feeling and the stock feels great - do not know it that is because of the finish or there is a card stock difference.
Plus the fan back has this slight occult motif. At least to me it does which makes it rather cool particularly the Viper edition. If you can, go to a magic store and ask to see and handle a deck if possible I hope.

Browse around in here: http://www.shop.bmpokerworld.com/categor......goryId=9

I just ordered the Erdnase 1902 deck and a Transducer deck for ****s and giggles from them.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of rklew64
This is of course my preference and opinion, not to be construed in any way as some bs factoid of cards used for magic. I'm very fortunate to have seen and handle many types and brands of cards because of my local magic store and a very mentoring store owner!!
And I still subscribe that cards do not make the magic better, it is you - but you know that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » New BIkes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL