The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » In the hands card spread? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
Can anyone direct me to a good resource for learning an in-the-hands spread? I know this is an extremely basic flourish, but it's one I've never been able to do well. I can fan and spring, but for some reason the hand to hand spread has always eluded me.
Gulyás Imre Miklós
View Profile
Regular user
Budapest, Hungary
185 Posts

Profile of Gulyás Imre Miklós
It's really easy, I can describe it.

Start from standard dealing position, but put your left pinky in the inner end of the deck.

Bring your right hand over the deck, put your right thumb on it, then while your left thumb starts spreading the cards to the right, your right hand is pulling the spread cards to the right.
Your right pinky should be behind the spread to not let the cards slide toward you.
The cards in your right shouldn't be let to slide totally in your thumb crotch(<-- is this the name for it? lol), they should just cover your first three fingers on your right hand. This is important if you want to learn culling later(card control using the spread)
I took the Pledge
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
Is there any special technique to spread cards in an S-type curve?
Steve Griffin
View Profile
New user
Brighton, UK
66 Posts

Profile of Steve Griffin
How's that for luck? I just came on here to ask exactly the same question as Maverick. So many thanks Gulyás!

Now to start work on my C****** F**** =D

Cheers,

Steve.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Quote:
On 2010-10-21 01:13, mavericklancer wrote:
Is there any special technique to spread cards in an S-type curve?

Absolutely. The best S-type spread that I've ever seen was a Lepaul Spread performed by one of the Buck Twins. The Lepaul Spread is hands-down the most beautiful in-the-hands spread.

All the Best,
Andrew
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
There's a description of the LePaul spread on one of Jeff McBride's Art of Card Manipulation DVDs.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Quote:
On 2010-11-23 12:57, MagicJuggler wrote:
There's a description of the LePaul spread on one of Jeff McBride's Art of Card Manipulation DVDs.

Good call.I suppose a resource to learn it would've been helpful.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
You should see what Jerry Cestkowski (aka, "The Flourishman") says about the LePaul spread on XB1, disc 2 (his fanning tutorial). Basically, he hates it because it ruins the cards. He shows an alternate in-the-hands spread that doesn't bend the cards.

But there is definitely something beautiful about watching the cards magically spring forth into a LePaul spread, IMO. I think Oz Pearlman did a quick tutorial on it as well. Can't remember if it was on Born to Perform, or one of his other DVDs. He seems to be pretty good at it.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Quote:
On 2010-12-17 16:45, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
You should see what Jerry Cestkowski (aka, "The Flourishman") says about the LePaul spread on XB1, disc 2 (his fanning tutorial). Basically, he hates it because it ruins the cards. He shows an alternate in-the-hands spread that doesn't bend the cards.

But there is definitely something beautiful about watching the cards magically spring forth into a LePaul spread, IMO. I think Oz Pearlman did a quick tutorial on it as well. Can't remember if it was on Born to Perform, or one of his other DVDs. He seems to be pretty good at it.

You wouldn't happen to know if this alternative is in his EoPCF (book) would you? I took a quick look and didn't see anything that mentioned the LePaul Spread. It's certainly not the smallest book I've ever owned so I could easily be overlooking it...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » In the hands card spread? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL