The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Night of the Living Dead (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Exorcist! I can't see what I'm typing...
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I went to see "The Passion of the Christ" (Mel G's film) at that crazy 6:00am showing, when all the screens in the theatre were showing the movie, and reporters were all over the place. The hilarious thing about it was that all the theatre staff were wearing shirts that said "Dawn of the Dead" - they were advertising the remake of the Romero classic which was coming soon!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-10-20 22:01, Chessmann wrote:
I went to see "The Passion of the Christ" (Mel G's film) at that crazy 6:00am showing, when all the screens in the theatre were showing the movie, and reporters were all over the place. The hilarious thing about it was that all the theatre staff were wearing shirts that said "Dawn of the Dead" - they were advertising the remake of the Romero classic which was coming soon!

"A lot of talk about all these movies. Passion of the Christ...everyone's talking about Passion of the Christ, that's all they were talking about...Passion of the Christ. I saw it. Wasn't that funny."
-Chris Rock as that year's host of the Oscars.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3043 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
This has nothing to do with NOTLD, but it's along the same lines.

Back in grad school, I took my then-girl-friend to see Alien one night. After the movie, we went for a drink, and then I took her home. By the time I got to my place, it was after 1:00 a.m.

So I walk in and turn on the lights, and right there, in the middle of the living room carpet, were three large black bugs. Probably beetles, but elongated. I'd never seen any bugs in my apartment before, never mind these things that looked like the beastie in the movie. I knew they weren't cockroaches, but I didn't have a clue what the heck they were.

It only took me a second to make an executive decision: I went to the closet, grabbed the vacuum cleaner, and the bugs were history.

The next morning I felt like a jerk, but what the heck, I had a seminar to get ready for.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Probably waterbugs. You made a good decision.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
This is one of the three horror movies that set the standard for horror.

Night of the living dead - (supernatural)
Halloween - (Slasher)
Texas chainsaw massacre - (could really happen)

All the originals by the way. The remakes suck... for the most part.

Every other horror movie should be compared to these.

By the way... NOTLD was inspired by the book 'I am Legend', and a better movie than that Will Smith movie.. that stunk!

'The Omega Man' and 'Last man on earth' was pretty good though.

Randi
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-10-21 14:05, randirain wrote:
This is one of the three horror movies that set the standard for horror.

Night of the living dead - (supernatural)
Halloween - (Slasher)
Texas chainsaw massacre - (could really happen)

All the originals by the way. The remakes suck... for the most part.

Every other horror movie should be compared to these.

By the way... NOTLD was inspired by the book 'I am Legend', and a better movie than that Will Smith movie.. that stunk!

'The Omega Man' and 'Last man on earth' was pretty good though.

Randi

Good trilogy, but I'd replace Texas Chainsaw Massacre with "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer," starring Michael Rooker, in the "this could really happen" category. I like TCM as much any any self-respecting horror fan, but Henry was like if a serial killer let a cameraman follow him around for a couple of weeks. People walked out of that one in utter silence, and headed for their cars with a total "Get the hell away from me" vibe.

I think Rob Zombie did a great job with his Halloween remake. It's really easy to screw up a remake in one of two ways - either by just making a carbon copy that adds nothing, or by going off in your own direction and ignoring what made the original great. Zombie really played homage to Carpenter from beginning to end...kept all the great lines, cast it perfectly (who better than Malcolm MacDowell to replace Donald Pleasance? And you can't go wrong with Danny Trejo and Brad Dourif)...but at the same time, he brought something to the table himself...the time at the institution, some young Michael Meyers stuff, an exploration of the importance of the mask. He walked a really fine line, and I think he pulled it off magnificently.

As far as the supernatural category, no quarrel with NOTLD, but I'd also give Carpenter's The Thing about as honorable a mention as there could be.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I loved Halloween but I think Zombie made the story complete.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I like most of the remakes. H2, not so much. I would put a few more flicks on my list of standard setters though.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I have "The Omega Man" action music as my cell phone's ringtone. Great stuff, good music.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Never saw 'Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer', but Chainsaw Massacre was a classic where this Henry is not.
Plus you got Tobe Hooper and his awesome sense of cinematography.
Very low angles, peeping through grass, and shot mostly during the day time.
That's what made the movie great, not necessarily the content.
That's also where they really screwed up the remake.
The remake was just some girl running and screaming in the dark, the majority of the movie.

As for the Halloween remake... I liked it too.
I am a huge Rob Zombie fan, I loved his other movies as well.
That being said, the original Halloween was still better.
The simplicity of it is what made it better.

The remake of Night of the living dead took all the clever stuff out of it.
Especially the ending.

The Omega man was the closest adaption of the book out of all the movies.
Just because the infected actually talked.
But none of the movies ends like the book does.
I wish someone would do it just like the book.

Randi
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-10-19 22:49, MagicSanta wrote:
I was overseas most of the time and when in port we didn't have a theater anywhere near us. That is why I am completely lost when people mention movies, TV, or music of that period (not so much music since they listened to the same stuff over seas as they do here).

I just gave up on Halloween Four....the teens were too obnoxious for me to handle any longer and...wait....I may put it back on just to see them get killed.

The only Halloween Iv'e ever seen was H3D: Season of The Witch

It was dumb.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:

Randi

I saw Chuck in The Omega Man when Iw as kid... I now have it and the new remake on DVD.

Never read the book though, how does it end?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer was largely under the radar, because it was rated NC17, so a lot of theaters didn't carry it. Those who saw it, though, know how good it was.

Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
All tiem favorite Zombie Move: Return of the Living Dead.

I LOVE its cleverness, sense of style, and tounge-in-cheek attitude. I think its one of the most effective humor/horror mixes I know of.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
For a great movie in a 4th category...something like "psychological horror," the young Anthony Hopkins is amazing in "Magic." Supporting cast Burgess Meredith & Ann Margaret, writing by William Goldman. I saw it when I was a kid and raved about it a couple of decades (pre-internet) not knowing who "that guy" was, but knowing that he was amazing. About 20 years later, Silence of the Lambs came out, and I knew I could trust myself as a critic.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Others that I think set standards that took their subgenres to a whole new in their times were:
-Blood Feast
-Bride of Frankenstein (one of the few sequels that outdid the original)
-Any of a number of the Hammer films
-The 6th Sense
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Quote:
On 2010-10-22 13:08, Cyberqat wrote:
Quote:

Randi

I saw Chuck in The Omega Man when Iw as kid... I now have it and the new remake on DVD.

Never read the book though, how does it end?

Neville goes to his prison window and gets a glimpse of all the infected milling around in the yard waiting for his execution. When they spot him, he sees the fear, awe and horror in their eyes and he understands to them he is a scourge, just as they were a scourge to him at the beginning of the novel. Previously Neville saw the destruction of the infected survivors as a right and a moral imperative to be pursued for his own and mankind's survival, but now he finally acknowledges defeat. He is the only known immune human left in the world, the only survivor of the "old race".

He glimpses a future society where infection is normal and he, Neville, is a murderous biological deviant. As he turns away and swallows the pills, Neville grasps the reversal that has taken place and that just as vampires were legend in pre-infection times now he, an obsolete exemplar of old humanity, is legend in the eyes of the new race born of the infection. The sheer ridiculousness of it all causes Neville to chuckle as he dies, his last thoughts being "[I am] a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend."

Not even close to any of the movies.

Randi
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is so scary because it makes you think that anyone you walk by could be a serial killer.

I'll watch the orig. Halloween or Zombies, both great. Jeff, the first Halloween I saw was that Season of the Witch and it wasn't great and since I had heard about Halloween when I got back it was very confusing as well.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Yes... Season of the witch was a lot like Friday the 13th part 5 or 6.. can't remember.
They tried to go a different route.
With Halloween they tried to go away from Michael Myers.
That's why it was totally different.
But I actually kind of like that one.. the stupidness is kind fun.
"3 more days to Halloween, Halloween..."

Friday 13th 5 or 6, they tried to make someone else a killer.
The idea was to move into different stuff.
But just like Halloween, people want the original concept.

I looked up the Henry movie...
I had a feeling it was based on Henry Lee Lucas.
He was a Texas serial killer.
I can't believe I never saw it, and it came out in 1986.
I will have to check it out.

Randi
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Night of the Living Dead (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL