The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How not to get elected . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5023 Posts

Profile of landmark
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
California got rid of happy hour (I looooved happy hour and also Sink or Swim Wednesdays in Florida) and also no real ladies nights allowed. Nice huh?

Landy, I wish you could come here for our election just for the attack ads.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Two years ago, the conservative (naturally) government where I live (in the traditionally Bible-belt part of Canada) tried its best to end Happy Hour in pubs here by issuing minimum prices that had to be charged on drinks.

Like the guy said:

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-10-19 23:58, MagicSanta wrote:

Landy, I wish you could come here for our election just for the attack ads.

Speaking of "How not to get elected ...", I hear that your gal is confusing ethnic groups. What's up with that?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Hey, I've been known to tip a few.

But I never, ever, ever drive at all--at all--with any alcohol in my system whatsoever.

In the good ole USA, happy hour usually means having a drink or two between work and home, and the distance between work and home is covered by car. So happy hour actually means drinking and driving cheap. And that is a good thing?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5023 Posts

Profile of landmark
We've got subways, buses, and cabs in my neck of the woods.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I'm not familiar with the drinking and driving cultural practices in the U.S. so I won't comment on them. I would agree that banning drinking games and overdone free dispensing of alcoholic beverages might make sense. When I think of happy hour, I just think of moderately discounted drinks.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
People should never drink and drive.

My gal? I'm not voting for her, I can't believe she won the primary. Yes, she was speaking to Hispanic students and said they looked more Asian than Hispanic. She is such a train wreck that there is a tie between her and Harry Reid in polls and Harry Reid is freakin' hated in this state. I hear all the time "I hate Harry but...man, I can't see Angle in the senate". Those Tea Party types had a big rally for her yesterday in Reno and that hot lil' honey Palin showed up...Angle was a no show! She says things on the radio then they call her on it and she denies it then they play her saying it and she says 'oh, that was because I was talking to that audience not this audience'! Harry doesn't do anything, I'm not sure he can find Nevada on the map.

(We do have local tribes where the people look Asian in a good lovely way but I still don't know what she was talking about)
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I can't believe that the MA Democratic party are running the same idiot who LOST Teddy Kennedy's seat to a republican in the special election.

Once, was arrogance-- the assumption that ANY Democrat would win.

Twice is just blatant stupidity.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Perhaps this time the good people of Mass will show up at the voting booth.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-10-20 00:35, MagicSanta wrote:
People should never drink and drive.

Except in Texas, where it's mandatory.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I never heard of "no real ladies night". Is that the women of Northern Nevada who drive John Deer tractors to the bar?
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Ca still has happy hour, went to one the other night.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-10-20 10:45, Al Angello wrote:
Perhaps this time the good people of Mass will show up at the voting booth.

I expect that lots and lots of good people will show up at the voting booths next month.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Lobo
We can only pray.

PS-How come you didn't answer the PM I sent to you, my feelings are hurt.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2305 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2010-10-20 00:34, balducci wrote:
When I think of happy hour, I just think of moderately discounted drinks.

I agree Baldcci. The mark up on drinks in a bar or restaurant is very high. So taking advantage of happy hour is my way of getting back at them.

PS I herd the democrats are calling for an all day happy hour across the US on Election day. They know its the only way they will get elected this year. Smile
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Kev, they may call it happy hour but it ain't happy hour unless they are rebels.

Sec. 3-12.1. Same–”Happy” hours; jumbo drinks, two-for-one; etc. All on-premises licensees are prohibited from selling or giving away alcoholic beverages under the following circumstances: (a) Serving multiple drinks for a single price or offering all you can drink for a set price during a set time. (b) Making a single price the basis for a required purchase of two or more servings. (c) Selling or furnishing alcoholic beverages after 9:00 p.m. at “Happy Hour” or a price lower than the normal retail cost. (d) Offering free drinks or reduced-price drinks to any segment of the population for any period of time as an inducement to patronize the premises such as a “Ladies’ Night” or “Men’s Night.” (e) Selling alcoholic beverages for less than half ( 1/2) the normal retail price. (f) Nothing herein contained shall be construed to prohibit the dispensing of drinks in pitchers or in jumbo sizes, provided that such pitchers or jumbo sizes shall be available at all times that the licensee is open for business and the usual, customary or established retail price shall not be reduced; for the purposes of this subparagraph, a jumbo drink is defined as any drink containing more than 1 1/2 ounces of alcohol. (Ord. No. 84-121, § 1, 12-11-84)
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Al, here in Nevada they give free booze if you gamble, bars are open all night and all day, and they have ladies night if they want.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Happy Hour abounds all over California, follows the guidelines set forth in the code, and happy patrons enjoy discounted food and drinks, in some cases every day of the week. Furthermore, wines are more and more frequently sold at half price as an inducement to dine on slow nights like Wednesday. Argument there could be made it's still above retail.

Maybe Happy Hour shuts down when certain people walk in the door.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ken
In Pennsylvania it is illegal to sell booz on election day until after the polls close. I thought that was a national law.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How not to get elected . . . (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL