The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How not to get elected . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-10-21 18:27, MagicSanta wrote:
From that perspective you are correct Lobo (dang your mind!). I believe that leaving children uneducated really leaves them behind the eight ball and to not allow them education of some sort smacks of the old slavery days when teaching reading and writing to slaves was not done in most cases.

I agree with your points here...how about a compromise - let them get educated in their home country!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
That is fine, they can deport them and I have no problem with that. Just treat them with some humanity while doing so. If they really want to stop illegal entry then stop allowing money to be sent to Mexico...no mas illegal entry. We do need to do something about the farm worker issue, seasonal entry allowed with request of specific farm.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-10-21 18:27, MagicSanta wrote:
From that perspective you are correct Lobo (dang your mind!). I believe that leaving children uneducated really leaves them behind the eight ball and to not allow them education of some sort smacks of the old slavery days when teaching reading and writing to slaves was not done in most cases.

And here Santa and I agree.

Quote:
Hey, they can make up their minds anyway they want, but if you stand up and say "My votes will all be bible based" then I'm not going to vote for them.

And I second that because they don't represent me.

if they follow that up with not even knowing that separation of church and state is guaranteed by the first amendment (like someone did recently) then they outright scare me and are by definition unqualified for the job.

IMHo if you want me to vote for you because of your stances and beliefs, tell me what those are. Just telling me you think you are a "good christian" tells me nothing, since you and other people who say they are "good christians" can't even agree on what that means.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Jeff and I, we be mates.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-10-21 19:51, Cyberqat wrote:
if they follow that up with not even knowing that separation of church and state is guaranteed by the first amendment (like someone did recently) then they outright scare me and are by definition unqualified for the job.

Sort of depends how you define "separation of church and state." Are people who think that phrase appears somewhere in our founding documents qualified for the job?

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
No! Cuz it doesn't!
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
It is, however, expressly implied. Despite the fervent wishes of "rules lawyers" looking for and failing to find the exact phrase.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-10-21 13:24, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Oops, I quoted instead of edited. Anyway, I don't have children, but if I did, I'd be glad for provisions barring trespassing on school property.

Do you just mean during school hours? Because lots of adults play basketball on school grounds in the evening. My girlfriend and I use the running track and run the bleachers at the high school.
I used to have a neighbor who did bodyweight exercises every day on the playground.
Just a couple of examples of perfectly harmless use of school property by non-students.
I can understand not wanting strange adults there during school hours though. That would be awkward for everyone.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
...abortion should be illegal in cases of... incest...

Products of incest:

"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-10-22 00:12, EsnRedshirt wrote:
It is, however, expressly implied. Despite the fervent wishes of "rules lawyers" looking for and failing to find the exact phrase.

I don't even know what it means. There are two specific provisions in the First Amendment that pertain to religion - the Free Exercise Clause, and the Establishment Clause. They've been kind of mushed into a general anti-religion vibe. I suspect that most people (Cafe regs excluded; we're a sophisticated bunch) don't know that the phrase isn't mentioned, and probably don't know that God is mentioned a couple of times in the Declaration of Independence. Despite the fervent wishes of many atheists wishing the opposite.

Or to put it another way, if by "separation of church and state," you mean precisely 1) Free Exercise + 2) No Establishment of a State Religion, then yes, it's in the First Amendment. If you mean anything else, then no, it's not.

p.s. I'm not a theist.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-10-20 00:35, MagicSanta wrote:

My gal? I'm not voting for her, I can't believe she won the primary. Yes, she was speaking to Hispanic students and said they looked more Asian than Hispanic. She is such a train wreck that there is a tie between her and Harry Reid in polls and Harry Reid is freakin' hated in this state. I hear all the time "I hate Harry but...man, I can't see Angle in the senate". Those Tea Party types had a big rally for her yesterday in Reno and that hot lil' honey Palin showed up...Angle was a no show! She says things on the radio then they call her on it and she denies it then they play her saying it and she says 'oh, that was because I was talking to that audience not this audience'! Harry doesn't do anything, I'm not sure he can find Nevada on the map.

Hey, hey. Apparently, Harry is pulling the old "food for votes" ploy.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/ralston......ey-reid/

So says Sharron Angle's campaign attorney, in any case.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
God help us... if there is an ad for either of those two that isn't an attack I've yet to see it. We have some guy running for District Attorney or something and the other guys commercial is a photo of the first guy in biker garb and it says he's a 'California criminal'.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How not to get elected . . . (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL