The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rare earth magnets from China (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I mentioned this before hypothetically, but now it seems to have come true:

China embargoes rare earth materials import into the US

However this is, apparently, unofficial as of right now...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Well, that's capitalism for you. The U.S. has deposits of many of these rare earth products, but decided it would rather buy from China. From that link:

"Or, the US could return fire with an export embargo of its own. But what does it have to hold back... perhaps Justin Bieber videos?"

Uh yeah ... he's Canadian, though.

Anyway, there were some more detailed stories out about this recently ... e.g.,

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/busine......d=1&_r=1

"Despite their name, most rare earths are not particularly rare. But most of the industry has moved to mainland China over the last two decades because of lower costs and steeply rising demand there as clean energy industries have expanded rapidly. Congress is considering legislation to provide loan guarantees for the re-establishment of rare earth mining and manufacturing in the United States. But new mines are likely to take three to five years to reach full production, according to industry executives."

Paul Krugman had a rather critical article on China and the rare earths:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/18/opinio......lkrugman

"Some background: The rare earths are elements whose unique properties play a crucial role in applications ranging from hybrid motors to fiber optics. Until the mid-1980s the United States dominated production, but then China moved in."

"You really have to wonder why nobody raised an alarm while this was happening, if only on national security grounds. But policy makers simply stood by as the U.S. rare earth industry shut down. In at least one case, in 2003 — a time when, if you believed the Bush administration, considerations of national security governed every aspect of U.S. policy — the Chinese literally packed up all the equipment in a U.S. production facility and shipped it to China. "
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Hey, that would be cheating!
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Ordinarily I disagree with most of what Krugman says, but um... Yeah. He's right...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm not surprised. Good news is Australia has a huge deposit of rare earth magnets.

Hey! My ol' company sold an entire semiconductor fabrication facililty to China and the packed it up and sent it to China.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
There's some fairly toxic (and radioactive) byproducts uncovered when mining rare earth metals. Cleaning those up is what makes the process expensive. China's a bit more willing to get messy with that stuff, so that's why they are able to undercut everyone's prices- even when considering the shipping costs.

If they're going to embargo those materials, though, we'll have to re-open our mines. Hey, China- thanks for returning those jobs! Smile
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
But do you just wanna celebrate?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Redshirt, they also should return the hightech manufacturing because they could easily cut it off as well.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Neither we nor Australia have large populations of miners we are willing to exploit and slowly poison. (The ones we DO have are busy mining coal.)

This is part of the inevitable fall of any empire, you get dependent on the resources of your vassal states, who eventually figure out that they now hold the power.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Just read an article last week about how Australia hopes to be providing over 50% of the magnets in eight years.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rare earth magnets from China (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL