The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » New (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SGT-jou
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of SGT-jou
Greeting,

I'm having a difficult time in trying to catch up to a more experience level and I wanted to know if is to late to start at 24y/o. I also have problems because as far as I know in Puerto Rico where I'm from I only know one magic shop and most internet sites I have visited don, send shipments here. Since I'm in the armed forces I wanted to grab some stuff and practiced while I'm away.

Thanks for any advice.
JRL
Andrew Morse
View Profile
Regular user
Corvallis, OR
157 Posts

Profile of Andrew Morse
It's never too late to start, but there's no short cut to get experience. There are some big names in magic that didn't get started until they were well into their adult years.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8448 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
If you're into, and want to practice, impromptu card magic, check out my website, third one listed under this post. Then if you have any questions, you can email to my personal address, also listed below this post, with the word "earthlink" in it. Harry L.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8448 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I've just been told that somewhere on the internet $150 is being asked for my book Deck-Sterity and $130 for my book Close-Up Card Magic. Whaat?! When they're both re-written and updated in my book The Classic Collection, vol. 1, along with two other books, and new stuff for less thawN $100. Strange. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
No, you're not too late.
if magic didn't interest you at a young age, so be it. There is nothing that will change that.

All you need to get started is a deck of cards, coins, paper, and an internet connection to get started. How did I get started? A worn-down deck and YouTube. My joke is that YouTube is magician's best freind lol.
SGT-jou
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of SGT-jou
Hi,

Thanks to all those replies, magic did interested me as a kid, I spent days in my grandfather's library reading his books about magic and when he passed away I saved them from a trash can because my aunt's husband said they were about sorcery and evil and that they had to be thrown away fortunately I kept them. I just found out hard to find shops or someone to show me other than basic card tricks so I step away for a couple of years, and now I'm really into coming back. Again Thanks

and by the way I had been checking out You Tube It is really helpful. Thanks
JRL
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi, JRL!

First of all, let me welcome you to The Magic Café! I'm happy you joined us!

I am 55, and I am still a beginner at some things (laughing). I have been doing magic since I was 17, and you never stop learning. I understand that where you are from, there is superstition and mistrust of magic. I am also glad you saved those books. If it is difficult to buy things like magic props through the mail, I suggest you learn cards and coins first. They are readily available, and there are some very good coin and card workers right here in the Café!

Harry Lorayne is probably the most famous and best card worker here! If you can master just a few of his brilliant effects and routines, you have a head start! For coins, go to the Nothing Up My Sleeve section, and you will find the top coin workers in the world! Although I'm not the best coin worker, I have done coin magic for over 30 years, and I think I can steer you in the right direction!

Feel free to ask any of us for help on something. We don't give away secrets, but if you have a hard time buying books/DVD's through the mail because of your location, I'm sure that other arrangements can be made to accommodate you! There are plenty of downloads you can purchase for around $10, and there is plenty of free stuff around. YouTube is helpful, but there are other sites you can go to for help with cards, coins, and everyday things.

Stay with the Magic Café, and when you get better and more skillful you can advance along with hundreds of others who are also just beginning, regardless of age! Good luck and good magic to ya! Smile

Doug
diehards2080
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, New York
256 Posts

Profile of diehards2080
No. Its never too late. Im 24 myself and only practicing for a yr. I been into card magic since I was 11. I may not be good as the younger crowd who is starting at 13 but my love for card magic is what drives me.

Loryanes stuff is great. His books are awsome. Every person who does a few card effects even though its not their main branch of magic should have a Loryane book. That just my opinion.

Srry Im not really into other branches of magic but if you want coins. David Roth!! I have the pleasure of seeing him everytime shopping at Fantasmas in NYC. If I was going into coins and may be soon that's the man I would learn from.

My thoughts on youtube. I like it. It gives me a chance to get adivce from other magicians. I don't post public just private. I wouldnt really learn from youtube. problem is most who is teaching on there really cant perform what they are teaching proper anyways. If you want to learn. Do it proper. Just my 2 cents
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear SGT-jou,

I didn't start 'till after I was 24. I've been a pro. for over 30 years now. You're going to get older no matter when you start. Why not have some fun along the way.

The years add up quickly and if you practice experience adds up as well.

- Mary Mowder
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Sarge, I'm 62 yrs old and had my first audition for some Library work just today! I collected magic for years and retired to find myself wanting to perform. I've done some free shows to get experience and worked myself into doing kids magic and seniors. I just landed my first gig today, so, at the age of 24, you have lots more time to work than I do! I wish I had as many years to perfect my craft as you. So hang tough and start your venture. When I was in the military many years ago, I used my spare time to teach myself how to play the guitar. Wish I was into magic back then! Welcome to the Café! This is a great place to start learning. Best, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Medortho
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Medortho
Since I started I always just heared about famous magicians who all started very young. Today I think it's almost some kind of cognitive bias to constantly think you can only be really good at something if you already started as a child. But there's more to it than just that.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
You be just a kid, JRL!! Join the fun!

Mary- How can you start at 24, work 30 years and now look 39???? Is that a really old pic? The math do not work!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
othelo68
View Profile
Regular user
North dakota
174 Posts

Profile of othelo68
Hey sgt,
good to see a fellow service member into magic. Its never to late the start I didn't start till just recently either. magic is a long road, don't fret about your local. Are you in puerto rico? whats wrong with the one shop? if you have to order things online there are a few that send stuff to where you are. check out http://www.magicwarehouse.com get some books and start learning the classics!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5271 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On 2010-10-20 19:43, Harry Lorayne wrote:
I've just been told that somewhere on the internet $150 is being asked for my book Deck-Sterity and $130 for my book Close-Up Card Magic. Whaat?! When they're both re-written and updated in my book The Classic Collection, vol. 1, along with two other books, and new stuff for less thawN $100. Strange. HL.

You're being modest Harry. Go to any convention and see what dealers are asking for your originals... quality is quality, and only goes up in value. But...you're right...why pay more for less when you can pay less for more, and support the creator at the same time.

And SGT-jou, I began magic around 9 or 10 or so and gave it up in my late-teens. I built a lot of my parlor effects back then, which I was lucky enough to sell to our local magic shop. All of the smaller, close-up effects were packed up and stowed away. Boy, was I happy I kept them.

More than 20 years later while burning off some down time in between meetings out of town, I visited a close-by magic shop near the office I was at. You would have thought I discovered El Dorado. Here I was, re-exploring an interest I had given up for 2 decades...imagine what I found. I was hooked again and haven't looked back since.

Enjoy these days of discovery. Start with books and the basics and go from there. I love collecting vintage magic, but I always find myself going back to my roots and performing impromptu at parties, in the office, at restaurants... Once you have mastered some basic skills, both physically and mentally, you'll find magic everywhere.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-10-21 15:01, Mr. Mystofelees wrote:
Mary- How can you start at 24, work 30 years and now look 39???? Is that a really old pic? The math do not work!

I was going to ask the same question, but did not want to embarrass her. 39? Careful Jim! She may be much younger than that! There is such a thing as a typo! Smile
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Yeah, it was a typo, that's the ticket! Thanks, Doug. That was meant to be a "2"...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
It's 56. Ever heard of "Photo Shop"? I guess its time for a new photo (RATS!).

- Mary Mowder
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-10-23 00:14, Mary Mowder wrote:
It's 56.

:wow: Now that is amazing! I wish I could look that good at 55! You are too humble, Mary, that ain't Photoshop! You just have a really young look! How fortunate! You are blessed!

Doug
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Well, my Kitten is 52 and everyone tells her she looks 10 years younger... and they are right Smile Shes my spectator in the see-through-card demo I posted though its hardly ideal lighting for her.

Some women are blessed with a young look... they usually hate it when they are young and grow to love it as they get a bit older. She's 4 years older then me and always been able to get away with people thinking Im the one who is 4 years older Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Shanlip
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
141 Posts

Profile of Shanlip
JRL,
Your never to old my story is very similar to Wizard of Oz, I also gave it away in mid teens.
I am now 40 and have just in the last 5 months got back into it along with my son.

I don't plan to be a professional but you never know!

It provides hours of entertainment and is also a great joint interest with my son.

Shanlip
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » New (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL