The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » The $150.00 Paintball Catch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I've uploaded some photos of this project here:

http://gallery.me.com/jeffpk#100008

The whole thing packs down nicely into an old computer briefcase I had lying around, not including the two paintball masks. One of those two masks has been modified with a dremel tool to remove the mouth guard. that's the one I wear during the catch. The other is safety equipment for the assisting spectator.

Total parts cost was about $150.00, not counting paintballs or briefcase.

The replaceable "Drumheads" were made from embroidery hoops I bought at JoAnne Fabrics. The drum head itself is tissue paper from Michaels crafts.

The holder consists of a length of 1/2 inch pvc pipe through which is threaded a bolt to hold the drumhead at the end. It has two small spacer blocks of 2x4 that are screwed to the pipe on one end and two two short lengths of 3/4" rubber hose on the other end. I then spray painted the whole thing black to give it a reasonably finished look.

The one piece you don't see because its still in the mail is the 3/4" bicycle seat clamp, which will go around the back part of the longer piece of hose as a safety precaution to make absolutely sure the drumhead holder stays put.

The white cap in the top of the feed neck is a 3/4" pipe cap and is another safety precaution. It is removed to place the paint ball in and then re-capped by the spectator with me watching just to make sure nothing else falls in there.

The paintball gun itself is a Spyder Victor which is a beginner's gun that is very well known to paintballers. In this version of the effect there are no external modifications to give it away to someone who knows the gun. It is, to all appearances, totally stock.

When I get a chance I'll see about shooting a performance-practice movie and uploading it. The ripping of the drumhead is truly impressive Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Thanks for the regular updates. I will confess that I've always wanted to do a bullet catch too. Good luck with it on stage!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » The $150.00 Paintball Catch (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL