The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Westboro: Why you gotta' be hatin'? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-10-22 21:53, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-22 21:48, gdw wrote:
Mill himself did try to extend this to speech, essentially pertaining to "inciting" others. This is, however, fallacious.

"He cannot rightfully be compelled to do or forbear because it will be better for him to do so, because it will make him happier, because, in the opinion of others, to do so would be wise, or even right... The only part of the conduct of anyone, for which he is amenable to society, is that which concerns others. In the part which merely concerns himself, his independence is, of right, absolute. Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign."

If this is to be considered true, and a person is considered to have absolute sovereignty over him(her)self, then how can another be blamed for his actions? This is exactly what they attempt to do by arguing that a limit can be placed on free speech based upon incitement. It is to blame the speaker for the actions of the mob.

I agree.

YAY, someone agrees with me. I feel all warm and fuzy inside.

Now, what I don't get, in as far as the actions of government, and others who advocate this type of interference on one's life is why they don't get this part:

"He cannot rightfully be compelled to do or forbear because it will be better for him to do so, because it will make him happier, because, in the opinion of others, to do so would be wise, or even right... The only part of the conduct of anyone, for which he is amenable to society, is that which concerns others."

If you think what someone is doing is bad for them, or that they are hurting themselves, I think you have every right to try to help them see that. I do NOT, however, think any "government" should be putting guns to their heads to stop them.
If someone want's to grow a certain plant, **** off. If they then want to sell it, bugger off. And if another person want's to buy it, what's it to you? And then if that person want's to cut it up and put it in a salad, so be it.
Now stay out of my carrot garden ya dang pigs.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I also agree that ignoring people like this doesn't always work in most cases - it's standing up to them via non violent ways and supporting the targets of their hate. Just their presence alone shows the targeted families that the majority of the population does not share these views and will stand along side of them in support.

Remember that famous quote regarding Hitler? Something along the lines of first he came for the Disabled and I wasn't one ..so I did nothing.

Then he came for the gypsies...I wasn't one so I did nothing
Then he came for the homosexuals.." "
Then the jews...."
In the end he came for me and there was no one left to speak for me..or something along those lines.

I posted another story recently which irked my sense of fair play. The response from the world has been to support the child whom was being targeted by positive messages and ignoring the person who sent them. By doing so ..people are showing they will not turn to violence or hatred themselves to prove their point. So far this little girl has received 12,000 positive messages the world over.
Don't mean to hijack this post but for those interested that story is here:
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/the......-trenton

In the end, I am bothered by stories like this,people being needlessly hurt by a rare few nut cases. I could never remain silent or ignore it, as to do so gives the impression to the bully that their actions are condoned.

>>gets off white horse and waves white hat again. :O)
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Westboro limerick contest!

From Westboro a preacher did say
that God hated everyone gay
So he took to the road
with his family in tow
To harrass those that had passed away
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-10-22 22:12, Chrystal wrote:
Remember that famous quote regarding Hitler? Something along the lines of first he came for the Disabled and I wasn't one ..so I did nothing.

Then he came for the gypsies...I wasn't one so I did nothing
Then he came for the homosexuals.." "
Then the jews...."
In the end he came for me and there was no one left to speak for me..or something along those lines.

It's interesting you mention this because my good friend Floyd (Air Force, Retired) made a sign of this exact poem that he carried at the counter-protest.
I considered bringing one that said "We don't take kindly to folk not takin' kindly 'round here."
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2010-10-22 22:07, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-22 21:53, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-22 21:48, gdw wrote:
Mill himself did try to extend this to speech, essentially pertaining to "inciting" others. This is, however, fallacious.

"He cannot rightfully be compelled to do or forbear because it will be better for him to do so, because it will make him happier, because, in the opinion of others, to do so would be wise, or even right... The only part of the conduct of anyone, for which he is amenable to society, is that which concerns others. In the part which merely concerns himself, his independence is, of right, absolute. Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign."

If this is to be considered true, and a person is considered to have absolute sovereignty over him(her)self, then how can another be blamed for his actions? This is exactly what they attempt to do by arguing that a limit can be placed on free speech based upon incitement. It is to blame the speaker for the actions of the mob.

I agree.

YAY, someone agrees with me. I feel all warm and fuzy inside.

Now, what I don't get, in as far as the actions of government, and others who advocate this type of interference on one's life is why they don't get this part:

"He cannot rightfully be compelled to do or forbear because it will be better for him to do so, because it will make him happier, because, in the opinion of others, to do so would be wise, or even right... The only part of the conduct of anyone, for which he is amenable to society, is that which concerns others."

If you think what someone is doing is bad for them, or that they are hurting themselves, I think you have every right to try to help them see that. I do NOT, however, think any "government" should be putting guns to their heads to stop them.
If someone want's to grow a certain plant, **** off. If they then want to sell it, bugger off. And if another person want's to buy it, what's it to you? And then if that person want's to cut it up and put it in a salad, so be it.
Now stay out of my carrot garden ya dang pigs.

The problem with quoting Mill out of context is that you lose the sense of his argument. He is championing the ethical doctrine of utilitarianism, that the sole measure of moral rightness or wrongness is a matter of simple calculation of aggregate preferences.
Suppose Mill were right on this point (and he probably isn't), on what grounds does he claim that we are sovereign over our own bodies? There simply isn't a way to argue for that within his theory.

Maybe there are solid ethical grounds for believing in our sovereignty over our own lives (and I think there are); it is much harder to argue that this sovereignty is unlimited. And appealing to Mill is probably a very poor way to make the case.

Now, about the harm principle, Mill is anything but clear as to what constitutes harm...

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
The definition would also have to assume that schizophrenia and delusional psychosis didn't exist. Pretty hard to be the sovereign of your body when you aren't even sovereign of your mind.
~Will Rogers
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I can bet you one thing - when any of their family members die, I bet they keep it as quiet as possible and either bury them on their private land or keep their ashes stuffed in a broom closet somewhere. I think it would be beautiful revenge to protest a Phelps family funeral.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
What a crazy world when we need to consider whether the law allows this sort of carry on at funerals.

Once common decency would have precluded the need for laws about such things.

Life seems to have some strange balance which will not be unsettled. For very wrong we right, we screw up something else.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
WASHINGTON , Oct. 6 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The U.S. Supreme Court heard arguments today from both sides of the Snyder v. Phelps case, which will decide whether a father's right to privacy and peaceable assembly at the funeral of his son outweighs the free speech rights of a religious group that staged a protest near the solemn event.

See link:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS19757......20101006
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2010-10-23 10:40, Destiny wrote:
What a crazy world when we need to consider whether the law allows this sort of carry on at funerals.

Once common decency would have precluded the need for laws about such things.

Life seems to have some strange balance which will not be unsettled. For very wrong we right, we screw up something else.

Agree completely! Would you like to buy an "E"?
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I'm not sure when common decency would have done so. Anywhere from the 1800's to now we've had the Klan burning crosses in peoples' yards. Granted, it's not nearly on the same level as desecrating a Mother's ceremony to grieve over her son, but they both come from the same place.
Medeival chivalry wasn't much better. The Crusades, the Inquisition...
The "Dark" Ages? My own ancestors looted churches.
We could try going back to classical times or earlier. One group burning anothers' Temples...
Nah, the zealots haven't gotten any better or worse. They've always stagnated.
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-10-23 12:00, critter wrote:
I'm not sure when common decency would have done so. Anywhere from the 1800's to now we've had the Klan burning crosses in peoples' yards. Granted, it's not nearly on the same level as desecrating a Mother's ceremony to grieve over her son, but they both come from the same place.
Medeival chivalry wasn't much better. The Crusades, the Inquisition...
The "Dark" Ages? My own ancestors looted churches.
We could try going back to classical times or earlier. One group burning anothers' Temples...
Nah, the zealots haven't gotten any better or worse. They've always stagnated.

Yup.

APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1213 Posts

Profile of APC
The church is coming to my school in a few weeks to protest the large community of homosexuals, lesbians, and straight allies on campus. There is going to be a large counterprotest, but I too feel that in a lot of ways this just adds attention and gives them importance. However, for this counterprotest students are actually getting donations from everyone who shows up to donate to the people the church are hatefully fighting against. It will be an interesting experience and I'll be sure to post my thoughts after it occurs.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Nice. Let us know how it goes.
~Will Rogers
hou_dini
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of hou_dini
It's nice to see a great discussion! The Patriot Guard wishes to shield people from protestors--yet who/what gives them the right to determine who shall be shielded from what sort of "speech"? If they set themsevlves up as protector's, what constitutes the need for protection (and who determines it)? All I'm saying here is that this comes close to vigilantism and a restriction on freedom of speech.
The Phelps mob is always careful to protest on public property where they can make the arguement that it is their 1st amendment right. I've never seen or heard of Phelps being on private property--they know the law too well (Lobo--inside my home is private property and a whole different matter, I can guarntee what would happen if they came in uninvited. Now the sidewalk in front of my house is public property--that's a different story).
The Skokie vs KKK incident albeit limited to one town worked. FYI, they chose Skokie because of the high percentage of Jewish Holocaust survivors that lived there (approx 80% of the town pop).
My main point is this, whether it works or not--If you ignore them, eventually they will go away. Counterprotests et al. do nothing but feed the insanity. You fall into their trap because you afford them the publicity and notoriety which they seek. Without it they're nothing. They will eventually quit when they find out that noone wants to play.
Chrystal. thanks for caring (no sarcasm here) but my Mom is long gone. My point about my funeral is that everyone who knows me well knows that I would welcome a bunch of pinheaded morons to protest my passing--I'd be laughing my *** off and everyone there would be having a good time watching the free entertainment. Seriously.
Again, I love good discussion and I sincerely do not support Phelps and his ilk, but I must defend their right to say what they say (not what they say). Know what I'm sayin?
hou_dini
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of hou_dini
Clarification: I must defend their right to say what they say, the act of speech, not the content.
Chrystal--forgot, thanks for mentioning the Gypsies, makes my ancestors happy!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2010-10-23 12:43, baskitboy5 wrote:
The church is coming to my school in a few weeks to protest the large community of homosexuals, lesbians, and straight allies on campus. There is going to be a large counterprotest, but I too feel that in a lot of ways this just adds attention and gives them importance. However, for this counterprotest students are actually getting donations from everyone who shows up to donate to the people the church are hatefully fighting against. It will be an interesting experience and I'll be sure to post my thoughts after it occurs.

I'm thinking you shouldn't have a "counterprotest." Be there, wear shirts that make your point, and have a bar-b-que with burgers and ribs and chicken and music. Make a party of it and completely ignore them as if it was just a coincidence you happened to be there on that day.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
You have the right to free speech. You do not have the right to force people to listen to you. If the funeral party wants the Patriot Guard standing between them and the Phelps, that's their perogative. (sp)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Hou-dini, those who want protection should be the ones who determine the what and need.
As for restricting free speech, standing in front of someone is not restricting their speech.
Similarly, they have a right to free speech, they do NOT have a right to an audience.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-10-23 17:03, ed rhodes wrote:
You have the right to free speech. You do not have the right to force people to listen to you. If the funeral party wants the Patriot Guard standing between them and the Phelps, that's their perogative. (sp)

Lol, yeah, same thing I was saying. Phone didn't update to show the post before I typed mine.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Westboro: Why you gotta' be hatin'? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL