The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » New guy. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
Hi all.

First of all, let me say that I have been an observer of this forum for a couple of months and it is just an incredible repository of magical experience. I am glad that The Magic Café exists.

I grew up in the Caribbean and in my family Santeria mediums still do their thing (for profit of course) basing their beliefs loosely on Allan Kardek . What all of this means is that at an early age I figured out many of the parlor tricks that the mediums used with their clients (Some believe with all of their heart that they do have supernatural powers and some are outright frauds). This turned me into a smiling skeptic that has always loved the performance arts, especially grand illusion, and mentalism.

I find myself with all the time of the world now and own only two books on magic. "13 steps" and "Amateurs Magicians Handbook". I am not planning to buy anything else for the next year or two, or three. I am going to take a couple of years to practice the basics.

Should I try and get an apprenticeship with a local magician right now (Im in Orlando, FL) in order to learn the fundamentals correctly or should I wait a couple of years and learn fundamentals on my own first?
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
First of all welcome to The Café. Secondly, that book "The Amateur Magicians Handbook" by H. Hay is one book that whet my appetite for magic back in the day. It's a great book despite it's age.

If you have access to learning from a local magus in Orlando then by all means take the iniative. Until then begin studying the books that you own especially the Hay book.

What type of magic are you interested in? Close-up, parlor, stage illusions?

BTW, I live on the coast (Brevard County, Florida).

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
I would love to learn parlor, and mentalism, but I don't want to be lazy. I want be proficient on the basics of cards, coins, sleights, cups, rings, etc, and take my time until I can at least stand busking with the basics.

I approach every situation with as clear a plan as I can make it; things never proceed as planned though, but I adapt. Smile

About being an apprentice; I wouldn't mind carrying gear for a performer (for free) until they tire of me, in exchange for professional opinion on my progress. I don't have a local Magus to apprentice with. If you, or any of your colleagues, are performing in central Florida I wouldn't mind becoming "the minion".

I am studying the Hay book. It is good. After a few months with it, I can understand why not many people stick with learning magic. It is a very demanding art form. To get good you have to be relentless.

My only gripe with the book is that I wish there was a study guide for the Hay book that had something like, "This are the basics for Cards skip the rest unless specializing in cards" and so on and so forth for coins, and the rest. Great book though, enough material to study and comeback to time and time again.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and you are correct that the student must be relentless in his practice. I am reminded of what the late great Charlie Miller once said..."The serious student practices and practices, the novice only glances" or something to that effect.

Find out what type of magic you like by experimenting with all types. But you are limiting yourself if you do not read other books. I suggest that you procure a library card and visit the local library in your vicinity. Read all that you can about magic in the beginning. Find a local IBM/SAM Ring in your area and join. You may meet someone who will become a mentor if you show that you have good intentions.

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
The library is a fantastic resource that is often overlooked, I will look for a few books that have been mentioned here at the Café. I will look at the IBM/SAM websites respectively and try and find a local ring.

Thanks you for your prompt replies Dom.

Shamsiel
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6723 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi Shamsiel!

I also wish to welcome you to The Magic Café! I like your attitude! The Hay book was one of my first books on magic as well! The Caribbean is a wonderful place! I am quite familiar with the superstitions rampant in that part of the world. I am glad you are so open-minded!

If you have any questions, about any particular type of magic, feel free to ask! There are specialized forums here in the main menu for you. If you are interested in coins, The "Nothing Up My Sleeve" forum is specifically for that. Some of the world's best coin workers frequently post there.

For cards, there is "The Workers". You will find world-famous Harry Lorayne there to help! There are others who post there that will help you, too! Cups & Balls? "Ever So Sleightly" has greats like Bill Palmer, Kent F. Gunn, Pete Biro who have helped me greatly, and would be glad to assist!

I thought I'd add that secrets are not given here, and some secrets are discussed specifically in The Banquet Room, which you will be invited into, after you have posted 50 legitimate posts. The forum "Secret Sessions" is designed just for that.

If you have trouble navigating, or need questions answered, any one of us would be glad to point you in the right direction! Good magic to you! Smile

Doug
shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
Thank you Doug.

I am sure I will have a lot of questions as I work on all of this material. And boy is there a lot of material to learn and a lot of exercises to do! I did acting for a few years back in college and this is a totally different art form.

Yes, the Caribbean is a fun place but superstition runs rampant on the islands. I guess I'm one of those strange individuals that always had trouble believing in supernatural things. One thing is for sure, I have always loved entertainment.

So... I cant speak openly about effects until I have 50 posts and only at the "Secret Sessions" got it! Makes perfect sense.

I will get back to all of you as soon as I have a legitimate question. Thank you. So far the sticky's in the forums and the welcome has been great. I already like the Magic Café.

Shamsiel
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-10-24 03:56, shamsiel wrote:
Thank you Doug.

I am sure I will have a lot of questions as I work on all of this material. And boy is there a lot of material to learn and a lot of exercises to do! I did acting for a few years back in college and this is a totally different art form.

Yes, the Caribbean is a fun place but superstition runs rampant on the islands. I guess I'm one of those strange individuals that always had trouble believing in supernatural things. One thing is for sure, I have always loved entertainment.

So... I cant speak openly about effects until I have 50 posts and only at the "Secret Sessions" got it! Makes perfect sense.

I will get back to all of you as soon as I have a legitimate question. Thank you. So far the sticky's in the forums and the welcome has been great. I already like the Magic Café.

Shamsiel

And we like you, Shamsiel !

Welcome to the jungle; enjoy the exotic flora and fauna.

It’s a great place to indulge in magical wanderlust!
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » New guy. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL