The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Nightmare before Christmas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Reflections on my vacation in America, part 1:

I hated, and I mean really HATED, the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay at the Haunted Mansion.

Now, I suppose that I can respect that some people are enthusiastic about Tim Burton's work. I'm not.

I also suppose that I can respect that some people are enthusiastic about the overlay.

But consider this: some of my earliest memories are of Disneyland. We lived nearby, and back in the day it was cheap if you didn't buy a bunch of E tickets. But I last visited Disneyland in 1981. I live abroad--I can't visit Disneyland five or six times a year like So-Cal residents.

For me there is a very strong nostalgic pull to the Disneyland of my early childhood. It was important for me to show Disneyland to my son. And what I wanted to show him most was: The Haunted Mansion.

It was always my favorite ride, just above Pirates.

So I get there, with my son, on a trip that cost me thousands of dollars, and the Haunted Mansion is not there.

You cannot imagine my disappointment. While my visit was not ruined, it was definitely damaged. How can Disney take one of the most popular rides in the history of theme parks and just replace it with something else--something I personally find highly inferior, though I realize many people love it--for a few months out of the year? Why not just two weeks or so? And why not warn poor souls like me in advance?

I probably will never visit the Anaheim Disneyland ever again.

The rest of my trip was very positive. But the Haunted Mansion was a nightmare.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Yeah the haunted mansion sucks right now.

DUDE, you were in my neck of the woods and didn't tell me.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16260 Posts

Profile of tommy
Should have gone to Las Vegas, that’s a ghost town now. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear stoneunhinged,

Boy do I agree with you about Tim Burton. He may well be a genius but he's a twisted genius. It's too bad that Johnny Depp's career has been so dominated by collaborations with Burton and too bad that Burton has probably twisted another generation to come.

Sorry your trip was not what you had hoped. I hope you had some fun with your son.

- Mary Mowder
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I took my kids to Disney world 30 years ago, and next year we are taking our grand daughter there. We are going to visit all the princesses, and I will keep my big synical mouth shut.

You didn't see a Lakers game either.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Brett, you should have known from FB that I was going to be in the area. Truth be told, I actually had in mind a surprise visit to the Freakshow, but we were simply too tired to make the drive out to Venice.

Tommy, Vegas was popping while we were there. No sign of a recession.

Mary, the trip was everything I had hoped for. Everything went like clockwork: Tombstone, Carlsbad Caverns, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Vegas, Lakers game, and Disneyland. ONLY the Haunted Mansion was a disappointment.

Al, we DID see a lakers game. LA vs. the Denver Nuggets on Saturday, 16 October.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Being a huge fan of Burton's work and a big Nightmare fan I love the NMBC overlay. I had always wanted to see it and was going to be in Anaheim in late September and was worried I'd get there only to discover that it hadn't been set up yet. But it was and the wife ad I went on it four times. We later found out that they had decided not to do it that year and had shipped off everything to Japan to convert their ride. But the public outcry was so great that they had to remake everything for the ride. So that year (it was 2005) everything was brand new.
If you don't like Burton or NMBC you'd best stay away from all the Parks this time of year as many of them convert their Haunted Mansion ride to the nightmare theme.
Sorry it ruined your trip. But far more peoples would have been ruined had it not been setup as thousands flock to Disneyland this time of year to see it. Which is why they do it. Capitalism again wins out Smile
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
My neck of the woods, too! I've lived in Anaheim twice, and I used to own the Anaheim Bridge Club.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2010-10-24 11:23, Payne wrote:
Capitalism again wins out Smile

I was fascinated by the amount of STUFF people were wearing with the Nightmare motif. That's why I was aware how incredibly popular it is.

As I said, I have no problem with people loving it. My problem is that people like me who can only get there once a decade have to do without the ORIGINAL Haunted Mansion unless they can plan their schedules accordingly. Which I--living in another country with another vacation schedule--cannot do.

:(
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
What puzzles me is why the NMBC stuff is always trotted out at Halloween, when the movie is not even about Halloween, per se...

Seems to me it should come out around Christmas time, but whatever!

Interesting that it should have such a lasting influence, when it dis so poorly at the theaters when it first came out.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
And Lobo--it might have been your neck of the woods, but you never made a gesture towards meeting the Unhinged One. I made it clear I was going to Disneyland.

Too bad, because my vegetarian son could have used a real MEAL.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16260 Posts

Profile of tommy
Would your vegetarian son  have liked the blood and guts of, The House of Horror?

Every cloud has a silver lining. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
The picture of Dr. Unhinged going down a Disneyland ride is priceless. It could take the internet by storm.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2010-10-24 13:58, gaddy wrote:

Interesting that it should have such a lasting influence, when it dis so poorly at the theaters when it first came out.

Yes, but it more than made up for it when it was released on video. Rocky Horror too bombed in its initial theatrical release but eventually became one of the top grossing midnight movies of all time and garnered devoted fans all over the world.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I'm sad I missed the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay, because I've never seen it. I've seen the regular Haunted Mansion a few times, and was just in Disneyland two or three weeks ago... but the line was too long, and the toddler was napping, so the best I could do was get my picture taken in front of the mansion. Oh well, we'll go back eventually, when the kid's older.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
We stop motion people love NMBC. I can understand your being upset, but I can't expect the people who live in the house I grew up in to leave it as it was 30 years ago just because I might want to come by and show the young family members the ancestral manor. Like any older person I am sad when something I remember is different, but that's time for you. When I was at Minto armoury for the Cameron centennial celebrations, there were changes from my years there. There are washrooms for women now!
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Fun fact... Johnny Thompson has worked with Disney on the Haunted Mansion.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
"Down and Out In The Magic Kingdom" by Cory Doctorow is a book I highly recommend to anyone who is find of science fiction and Disneyland....

A lot of the major action takes place in the Haunted Manson in the far future, where Disney is a sort of cultural heritage site.

Check it out!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Nightmare is one of the few Tim Burton movies I like all the way through. The first "Pee Wee" is another. Oh, and Sweeney Todd, of course.
I like Beetlejuice right up until the end.
How come so many of his "happy endings" are just the goth kid putting on normal people clothes?
Irritates the crap out of me. As if your wardrobe defines you. "I'm happy now, better throw out these fishnets..."
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I haven't seen the overlay, but I want to.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Nightmare before Christmas (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL