The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Magician Mechanicians of the world...Unite! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I have opened up a new section on The Magic Nook based on the work of Chris Dunn, a Magician Mechanician who begins with three offerings: his "Do-It-Yourself Card Fountain" (much more compact and lighter in weight than most models on the market); his "Electric Balloon Pump" (battery operated) that fits in a camera bag; and his "Fan Box" which is NOT a Snowstorm in China, but more like a "Flurry from when Hell Freezes Over." The items in this section may begin with a structure of hardboard and duct tape, but then you get into batteries, motors, switches and wires and stuff that Mechanicians like to tinker with when mere mortals are using wires as toothpicks just to pick their teeth. None of the projects will require a degree in engineering... just the ability to follow Chris' photo instructions and perhaps do a bit of soldering without burning off your eyebrows or nose hairs.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Now if you could invent a Noes-Hair-Burneroffer that was painless........
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I'm working on an artificial nose with metal wire nose hairs, but teaching it to breathe for you is proving to be a difficult task.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
Hi Spellbinder,
I think a section devoted to mechanical magic on the forum would be a great idea. Without a doubt, it is my favorite genre in the magic community!
veegates
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
A handful of us had our own site a few years ago called PMZZ.com. It was strictly for magic builders, and kept some info inner circle where it often needs to be. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
Hi Michael,
Sounds like you are expressing past tense. That is a shame, it would be fun to share ideas!
veegates
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I agree with Michael that many things need to be keep in the inner circle as it were. I am sorry but with over thirty years of learning my craft I am not ready to just hand it over to everyone.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
Richard,
What an unusual response. I do not think that is what Michael said at all and I don't think anyone said anything about handing over secrets. I certainly didn't.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Well, let me put the speculating to rest...

Yes, and no. I am usually very free with sharing ideas, but there are some things that I feel the population at large is not ready for, and sometimes feel they have not "earned". I am the same with magic secrets. The more I trust a person, not just by the extent of their knowledge, but what my gut tells me may be their intent with the information, the more open I am likely to be.

My comment mentioned the (late) PMZZ forum, because I feel that such a website is better equipped to serve the needs of magic builders, than such a broad-based site as The Magic Café. Even with the policies and watchdogs here, there are occassions where information is grossly mishandled by casual duffers (to use a term favored by Fitzkee).

PMZZ began from a full-force discussion here on the Café, helping a guy who started a thread called "Painting My Zig Zag". We adopted the acronym, and somehow brought together the kindred spirits who would be magic builders. It was password protected, and if I recall, had different levels of membership, somewhat based on what the founding members believed about any particular person.

This secured the real good secrets, things that some of us had spent years and much money researching and learning, and afforded it only to those considered trustworthy. Not saying that everyone outside the inner circle was untrustworthy, just that they may not have been well known enough at that time to get the key to the good discussions. Such safeguards helped protect people who came to the site to get information on developing their own original ideas, without fear of their intellectual property getting ripped off.

In many cases, we could tell someone how to go about making something themselves, or a creator may find someone who could actually build it. But anyone with the inside info, was already known to not be the type that would steal an idea.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I didn't really intend to start a new thread or even a new forum. I think the misspelling in my title is the cause of the misunderstanding. I didn't mean to call it "Magician Mechanicians of the world...Unite!" but "Magician Mechanicians of the world...Un-tie!" There. Is that better?

I was under the same misapprehension as Michael and Richard, that a closed forum, carefully guarded and each participant "vetted" (is that the new lingo?) was needed, so I started one on The Magic Nook filled with secret nooks and cranies for private discussions. It was a very lonely place. For months there was no one to talk to but myself. So I gave it up, locked the doors and dynamited the place into oblivion. I am now using the method discovered by UF Grant, Tarbell, and many others... only they didn't have the Internet to make it work in their favor.
Professor Spellbinder

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-10-30 22:44, Spellbinder wrote:

I was under the same misapprehension as Michael and Richard, that a closed forum, carefully guarded and each participant "vetted" (is that the new lingo?) was needed, so I started one on The Magic Nook filled with secret nooks and cranies for private discussions. It was a very lonely place. For months there was no one to talk to but myself. So I gave it up, locked the doors and dynamited the place into oblivion. I am now using the method discovered by UF Grant, Tarbell, and many others... only they didn't have the Internet to make it work in their favor.

This one that I missed, and sorry now that I did.

These headknocker gatherings seem to be rare, indeed, online or otherwise. The recent Flea Market at Bob and Lucy Sanders' ranch was one such that I'm glad I made. It brought a handful of builders together for a solid day of good times. Unfortunately, that was FAR too short.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am sorry if my remarks were misunderstood or I seemed to put words into other's mouths. That was not my invention.

I simply feel that there is a certain amount of "dues paying" (or lack of a better term)that needs to take lace before one is needs or should be privy to everything. I am very free with helping guys but there is a point and a level that draws the line.

I am where I am in this business because I understand that line. I have been privy to a lot of things that will never be discussed on any forum or book. I was taught in the manner of the old time dealers and magicians. You learn the knowledge as it is needed and only if needed. It is hard to change that training.

I hope that this clears things up a little.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
As a youngster, I got into magic as many, first the basic coin palm, card sleights and on and on through most of the close up effects. It was a big leap when I was able to get a Square Circle, my first "big" effect.

My instruction in Naval Aviation was in structural/hydraulics mechanics, corrosion control tech, phase inspection supervisor, flight engineer/load master.

While in service, I was able to afford more large illousions, but moving and storing them in the open bay barracks was very difficult, so I went back to what I could carry in a 5" wide Samsonite briefcase. Much easier to take onboard ship.

I did collect books on magic from each of the contries we docked at, and I read all I could on the history of magic and bio's of magicians.

Thru the years I crafted a lot of things I wanted, not just magic, because I like to make things. Holsters, engraved my Rugers, hat box's out of leather, gun cases, quickdraw targets with timers. I get a lot of satisfaction desiging and building stuff. Now that I am retired and have a place to put the equipment to manufacture my ideas, I can induldge my whims as I am inspired.

If, as with Richard, you are fortunate to have be instructed in the behind the sceans knowledge you have a base of information to work with. On the other hand, if you have the means to purchase ready made effects, there is really no need to make the item yourself. But I feel I loose intimacy with the item.

I am the first to admit I am not an magic inovator, and fully understand the neccesity of protecting secrets form those who would exploit those secrets. IE: foreign rip offs.

Thanks to the Magic Nook, I have made my own card foutian in a size that suits my needs. I have also made my own Hoodoo Spirit Chest, Chop Cup, wands, color changing knives, zombie skull, Large wood Square and leather crafted Circle, miser's dream gimmick, and folding performance table.

Inspired by others, I make these for my own use only because I can. I would not think of selling them to others, and always give credit to the originators.

So how do I prove my worthieness to partake of the knowledge of other Mechanicians?

Mulee Pete
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
At the Magic Nook, proving your worthiness to a magic secret is as simple as paying $5.00. It may seem crass and superficial, but it works. The initial idea came from the various magic organizations of the 1940's and 50's who decided that a magic secret was worth at least $1.00 to keep out the merely curious. I have upped the ante to $5.00 and that seems right to me. No one gave me permission or guidelines... I had to work them out for myself. There are those who feel that the price should be $19.95, and some who set a higher price on their secrets. I feel that is fine for them, but not for me. $5 is the extent of my avarice. My purpose is not to get rich but to keep the secrets out of the hands of the merely curious. There are lower prices for quantity purchases, but the beauty about the Internet and e-Books is that you don't have to buy an entire book to learn the one effect you really want to put in your next show. For example, you don't have to buy Qua-Fiki's "Go Fish Card Tricks" book at $40.00 when all you really want to learn is his method for "Flying Fish," which you can get separately for $5.

The same is true for all Magic Nook e-Books. You can buy Chris Dunn's plans for making his Electric Balloon Pump for $5.00 plus whatever it costs you for the parts needed to make it... or you can buy one ready made and ready to pump from Daytona Magic, Chris' authorized magic dealer, for $225. It's your money and your choice.
Professor Spellbinder

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-10-31 14:56, MuleePete wrote:
As a youngster, I got into magic as many, first the basic coin palm, card sleights and on and on through most of the close up effects. It was a big leap when I was able to get a Square Circle, my first "big" effect.

My instruction in Naval Aviation was in structural/hydraulics mechanics, corrosion control tech, phase inspection supervisor, flight engineer/load master.

While in service, I was able to afford more large illousions, but moving and storing them in the open bay barracks was very difficult, so I went back to what I could carry in a 5" wide Samsonite briefcase. Much easier to take onboard ship.

I did collect books on magic from each of the contries we docked at, and I read all I could on the history of magic and bio's of magicians.

Thru the years I crafted a lot of things I wanted, not just magic, because I like to make things. Holsters, engraved my Rugers, hat box's out of leather, gun cases, quickdraw targets with timers. I get a lot of satisfaction desiging and building stuff. Now that I am retired and have a place to put the equipment to manufacture my ideas, I can induldge my whims as I am inspired.

If, as with Richard, you are fortunate to have be instructed in the behind the sceans knowledge you have a base of information to work with. On the other hand, if you have the means to purchase ready made effects, there is really no need to make the item yourself. But I feel I loose intimacy with the item.

I am the first to admit I am not an magic inovator, and fully understand the neccesity of protecting secrets form those who would exploit those secrets. IE: foreign rip offs.

Thanks to the Magic Nook, I have made my own card foutian in a size that suits my needs. I have also made my own Hoodoo Spirit Chest, Chop Cup, wands, color changing knives, zombie skull, Large wood Square and leather crafted Circle, miser's dream gimmick, and folding performance table.

Inspired by others, I make these for my own use only because I can. I would not think of selling them to others, and always give credit to the originators.

So how do I prove my worthieness to partake of the knowledge of other Mechanicians?

Mulee Pete

Based on your post, I would be apt to share with you. Your intentions seem obvious and honorable, and not in direct conflict or competition with myself or anyone that I can immediately name. It also seems as if you have taken the time to experiment a bit and learned as you went. I respect that. Your projects and goals also seem to be focused and not random. More points earned.

I have had a few come to me who wanted to make things that were within my field. I sensed that they either had intentions to enter the market themselves (at least one did), and others I did not feel had the level of craftsmanship that would do justice to the crafters' secrets they wanted me to tip. I'm not anxious to help promote inadequacy, and in the field of competition, I can't stop it, but I don't feel obligated to level the playing field for someone who plans to use the info against me.

The worst seeker of information came to me with a blatant request for what I knew. I hesitated and was greeted with a counter reply that basically said that he was a very persistent person, and that he would find the information anyway, so I might as well give it up.

Any conduct that my mom would have smacked me for, isn't going to work well on me either.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
Thank you Mr. Baker. I truly appreciate the confidence and kind words you posted. It is difficult these days to find men of their word, and is as welcome as the first fresh breath of the morning.

Mulee
DavinSimone
View Profile
New user
Central Louisiana
59 Posts

Profile of DavinSimone
Well I am new to the prop building world and have only been doing magic a few years. I hope that you guys can mentor me well. I think I'm in good hands at least! Thanks in advance for all the technical questions you are going to answer for me!
Davin L. Simone

Close up/Parlor Magician
IBM Ring 268 - The Cajun Conjurers
http://www.facebook.com/DavinSimone

Above poster suffers from a severe lack of judgment and logic. Assume any points he made are wrong and baseless.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-11-01 21:50, DavinSimone wrote:
Well I am new to the prop building world and have only been doing magic a few years. I hope that you guys can mentor me well. I think I'm in good hands at least! Thanks in advance for all the technical questions you are going to answer for me!

Anytime you can, please feel free to share photos of your projects.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Howard Hamburg
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Howard Hamburg
Go on youtube put in MYSTERIOUS GROWING FISH to see warren stephens' DI-MINI-FISH that abbott's sold in 1969 for $21 postpaid.it was listed in the #18 catalog pg 215.few sold,fewer survived.he was way ahead of his time in thinking up clever methods.this recent model was made from scraps and cost $7 in extras and took 2 1/2 days to complete.
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
There are a lot of great minds and builders here. From seeing Michaels work, he is one of the best. Richard knows his feathers and is the best in his field. I feel I've paid my dues also and thank Tabby for trusting me to take over Tabman USA. I've slowed down a bit because of illness but am still kicking around in the shop.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Magician Mechanicians of the world...Unite! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL