The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Self worker back to new deck order (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Hi all,

Does such a card trick exist?

thanks,
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
640 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Doesn't J.C.'s Super Closer end up with the deck in new deck order, or at least very close so it's just a matter of you assembling the sections of the deck that are displayed to end up in new deck order? Also, I think Aldo Colombini has an effect called Grand Prix that you could get you close as well. These are just off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are plenty out there.
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
669 Posts

Profile of Alel
I'm thinking that since a deck in NDO can be set-up into Si Stebbins via a shuffle sequence ('Si Stebbin's Secret', Darwin Ortiz At The Card Table), then it must be possible to start from Si Stebbins and end up in NDO.

But judging from 'SSS' procedure and what little I know of faro mathematics, I think its gonna involve a LOT of faros (BUT only a few Antifaros [Engblom's; in-the-hands] if you know how to nail perfect ones). But I may be wrong. Maybe I'll try it if I get a deck of cards and a handful of time in my hands...

Why don't you hunt down Darwin Ortiz' Si Stebbin's Secret and try it? It's a killer strategy to know if ever you are handed a fresh pack of cards, or when you decide to open a fresh pack and get right into Si Stebbin miracles.

The idea would be to perform effects utilizing the SS stack, routining them in such a way that preserves the whole configuration, then wrap everything off by reversing the shuffle sequence.

Then from there, work on reversing the SSS shuffle sequence.

EDIT: And now that I think of it, I guess you can easily anti-faro the cards (by dealing alternately) within the context of a trick. Maybe you won't need to perform a lot of faros or Engblom's Antifaro afterall...

I hope I am not giving too much away but just enough to help you in your quest.

:)
Friedrich
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Friedrich
To get NDO from Si Stebbins You need to do 6 out faros or 2 anti faros and then reverse the shuffles from Ortiz's Si Stebbins Secret.
But the easiest (and therefore maybe strongest) way to get a NDO effect starting from Si Stebbins would be to deal the hole pack into four piles (antifaro 2):
each hand consists of cards from one value in order, but three of them are cut. You can easily adjust that while displaying them or check out Tamariz "El Rey Del Corte":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcl6Kj9kvmE&feature=related
You have to start in reverse Si Stebbins order for that one though.
Ingenious and practically selfworking approach to NDO (some false shuffles don't hurt...)
Friedrich
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Friedrich
If You really want do to it using faros, You might try this aproach, starting with Si Stebbins and a king on top:

-do two out faros: all values are together. Taking advantage of that You can display Your skill to cut to any value named (by estimation and knowing the Si Stebbins order), see "A match made in Cincinatti" in the Vernon Chronicles, not so difficult as it sounds, because You have a four card leeway

-do two more out faros and cut the top 38 cards (a jack will be Your key card) to the bottom, executing a pinky pull down with the bottom card (s it stays where it is...), deal for 4 persons, You'll get 4 Aces, the other player Full House or Four Of A Kind. Show all hands using Aronson's idea from "Try The Impossible" restacking all the hands while showing them, then cut the top 13 cards (an ace will be the key card) to the bottom, doing again a pinky pull down

-do two more out faros: You've almost reached NDO (finally...), You just need to do something like the overhand shuffles from Ortiz's "Si Stebbins Secret" backwards...

Just a thought, probably too much work...
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-10-28 10:46, Friedrich wrote:
If You really want do to it using faros, You might try this aproach, starting with Si Stebbins and a king on top:

-do two out faros: all values are together. Taking advantage of that You can display Your skill to cut to any value named (by estimation and knowing the Si Stebbins order), see "A match made in Cincinatti" in the Vernon Chronicles, not so difficult as it sounds, because You have a four card leeway

-do two more out faros and cut the top 38 cards (a jack will be Your key card) to the bottom, executing a pinky pull down with the bottom card (s it stays where it is...), deal for 4 persons, You'll get 4 Aces, the other player Full House or Four Of A Kind. Show all hands using Aronson's idea from "Try The Impossible" restacking all the hands while showing them, then cut the top 13 cards (an ace will be the key card) to the bottom, doing again a pinky pull down

-do two more out faros: You've almost reached NDO (finally...), You just need to do something like the overhand shuffles from Ortiz's "Si Stebbins Secret" backwards...

Just a thought, probably too much work...

Wow.

Impressive but if this is your idea of a self-worker, what constitutes a worker?
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Friedrich
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Friedrich
Lol, I have to admit, I got carried away a little bit...
But check out "el rey del corte", completely self working and very strong stuff...

In "Handcrafted Card Magic" by my friend Denis You'll find quite some ideas he uses to create the impression of having the deck mixed while retaining a full stack, some of them even self working ;-)
See "Finding The Way Home" and "A Gambling Demonstration" ending with NDO...
Piqsirpoq
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
117 Posts

Profile of Piqsirpoq
Friedrich, do you know where "el rey del corte" is published or did you work it out from the video?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
This looks fantastic although I have not seen it - by Bob Farmer, "Bammo Card Walloper"

The Effect
Bob Farmer and Gerald Kirchner have come up with the latest thing card workers are talking about - bammo Card Walloper!

A shuffled deck, mixed face up and face down, auto-magically unshuffles itself into perfect face-up, numerical and suit order! Wow!

Here's what the audience sees: A deck is removed from its case, casually shuffled, and shown to be in no particular order. Half the deck is turned face up and half is turned face down and the two halves are then mixed together. SPREAD face-up on the table, the deck is seen to be a chaotic mess of face-up and face-down cards, suits, and values.

The deck is squared, then immediately re-spread: Now, impossibly, not only are ALL the cards face-up, but the entire deck is in order, by value and suit! Unbelievable!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=417
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Friedrich
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Friedrich
Hello Piqsirpoq,

I just learned it from watching the clip... but I just read in a book from Woody Aragon, that it is published in a booklet which comes with "Conjunto Magico De Cartas" from Fournier. Now don't ask me what exactly that is...
Friedrich
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Friedrich
Hi saysold1,

nice effect and clever idea, but to carry around a deck You can just use for that one?
It means if You'd want to use this as a closer You'd have to switch decks (or at least half the deck...) and then end with a gaffed one, no one can look at?

I guess there are more practical ways to do that, maybe not as clean (and not as easy...), but with a normal deck...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Self worker back to new deck order (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL