The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Why cant I get hypnotized? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
Oakville, Ontario, Canada!
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
I have a friend who is a hypnotist. He has done it hundreds of times to people. I have seen maybe a dozen of them and they were all really cool! Never seen it before.

When he tried it on me, it never worked. We did it many times and nothing. He even slowed it down believing it would take a bit longer for me, but still nothing much.

Yes, I do want to be hypnotized. that's why I am here.
Yes, I believe in him.
Yes, I am doing what he is doing.

"the more intelligent a person is, the easier it is for him to be hypnotized."
Does that mean I am stupid? Smile haha

Why isn't it working on me? Any advice to get my hypnotized - either for him or me.

Thanks.
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

WEBSITE: michaelfrymus.com

289.795.4195
Filmming worldwide

Email: dop-michaelfrymus@live.com
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Find another Hypnotist.

Or another friend. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
Are you a sleep walker?
Apparently people who have at some stage been known to sleep walk are not so easily hypnotized (at least that´s what I´ve heard).
:)
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Sorry Owen, that's not true.

If someone is intelligent enough to make a post to a forum such as TMC, they can be hypnotized.

Period.

That does NOT mean everyone can be hypnotized by a SPECIFIC person, only that you can be hypnotized.

Pakar had it right. Find another hypnotist.

Part of the problem is that you relate to him as your friend first, not as a hypnotist.

Find another hypnotist.

You say that your friend has hypnotized others, but you do not say that your friend was professionally trained. There are several basic hypnotic induction techniques and an unlimited number of variations on those techniques. Yes, you can be hypnotized, but that does not mean all hypnotic induction techniques will lead you into hypnosis. Is your friend trained in multiple techniques? Has he tried different techniques with you? If not, find another hypnotist.

In fact, the easiest solution would be for you to simply go to a hypnotist who is trained and experienced. I have no doubt that you'll be hypnotized in just a few minutes.
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
Couldn't have said it better dm
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
I´m starting to regret hiring my current mentor Smile
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Thank you, Richard. I just bought your Stage Hypnosis Pre-Talk and Induction DVD. I'm looking forward to viewing it this weekend.

Personally, I think many non-professionals don't understand the importance of the pre-talk. A great pre-talk literally preps people to go into hypnosis and make our work so much easier.

Years ago I used to teach acupressure massage. In order for students to understand what was going on, it was required that students both gave and received the massage techniques. One woman loved to give massages to others, but absolutely refused to allow a partner to give her a massage. After a couple of sessions she dropped out of the class.

Just because a person is a great hypnotist doesn't mean he or she is automatically great for going into hypnosis. This is especially true when someone is learning hypnosis. Sometimes the cause for this is still having some qualms about going into the hypnotic state. It's possible, M.Frymus,that you still have some reservations, and perhaps you are not aware of it. A great pre-talk will help to overcome this problem.

You might have you friend and hypnotist go over misconceptions concerning hypnosis with you. Once they're gone, you're liable to slip right into a hypnotic trance!
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
Oakville, Ontario, Canada!
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
Quote:
On 2010-10-26 11:12, dmkraig wrote:
Part of the problem is that you relate to him as your friend first, not as a hypnotist.

Find another hypnotist.


Ive known him for a month or so. Does it really matter much still?
*But, I was not really his friend the first time he tried it on me. It was like the 2nd time we ever met or talked.


Quote:
On 2010-10-26 11:12, dmkraig wrote:
You say that your friend has hypnotized others, but you do not say that your friend was professionally trained. Is your friend trained in multiple techniques? Has he tried different techniques with you? If not, find another hypnotist.

In fact, the easiest solution would be for you to simply go to a hypnotist who is trained and experienced. I have no doubt that you'll be hypnotized in just a few minutes.

Hes not a pro.
He said he knows other techniques but has not tried them. He said he knows instant hypnosis too, but he wont do it on anyone anymore. If he did, would that be a good start?
I would go to a pro, but why bother spending the money to do it? I'd rather not.


Quote:
On 2010-10-26 15:49, dmkraig wrote:
Just because a person is a great hypnotist doesn't mean he or she is automatically great for going into hypnosis. This is especially true when someone is learning hypnosis. Sometimes the cause for this is still having some qualms about going into the hypnotic state. It's possible, M.Frymus,that you still have some reservations, and perhaps you are not aware of it. A great pre-talk will help to overcome this problem.

So what exactly to do & how?
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

WEBSITE: michaelfrymus.com

289.795.4195
Filmming worldwide

Email: dop-michaelfrymus@live.com
Zoto
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Zoto
When I was trained, I was told the only people that could not be hypnotized, were people with organic brain damage.

I am not even sure how to use the techniques I use with difficult clients, and I am not even sure they would volunteer. Once I had a teenager that seamed to be out to prove he couldn't be hypnotized. I put my hand on his shoulder and say "I think you will enjoy the show much better from the audience, now give him a nice round of applause for trying," and marched him off the stage.

Jerry
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
Oakville, Ontario, Canada!
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
Actually, he doesn't know any other techniques. I thought he did.
And, he will not do instant hypnosis.
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

WEBSITE: michaelfrymus.com

289.795.4195
Filmming worldwide

Email: dop-michaelfrymus@live.com
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
212 Posts

Profile of JonChase
Whilst I have no idea about your friend the blind acceptance that Everyone can be 'hypnotised', that is experience an induced reality managed by the suggestions of someone else, while the slightest observation of all the available evidence is that there are people who just can not evidence any behaviour that could be even peripherally called hypnosis, well it's amazing.

ONLY around 20% of any population can be 'hypnotised' to the degree where they will hallucinate, which in my book is hypnosis sometimes called somnambulism.

That being unquestionable then the Perato rule applies and if 20% are very good subjects then 20% can't do it at all and the other 60% lay somewhere in the middle.

Now not once, never, and if they say they have then I'd question their handle on reality, but not once as any stage hypnotist hypnotised their complete audience or even all the people who volunteer. And it stands to reason that in all these years that some hypnotist somewhere would have done it.

I don't know if you are one of the guys who can't be hypnotised but do know some people can't.
Smiles

Jon Chase



http://jonathanchase.com
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
It's nice to have 'The Chase' in the room. Not to listen to a third of a century of experience simply would not make any sense. You can't argue with any of it since he's simply revealing his lifelong experiences.
And the Perato rule (similar to the BELL principle) sounds just about right to me.

Bob
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
212 Posts

Profile of JonChase
Respects Bob,

I recorded this, it gives a deeper view methinks.
http://www.jonathanchase.com/can-everyon......notised/

I could of course be wrong however, it gets personal with me because I am one of those 20% and would love to be proved wrong and believe me, lots have tried. ;-)
Smiles

Jon Chase



http://jonathanchase.com
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I certainly can't disagree with your experience, Jon.

However, the Perato rule deals with economics, not mental states. It is based on an observation in 1906 that 80% of the land in Italy was owned by 20% of the people. I also know that many businesses follow the belief that 80% of their business will from 20% of their customers. I don't know how either of those concepts can be related to whether people can reach a level of hypnosis.

Speaking of that, I think that having the presupposition that as a hypnotist we can only get 20% of people into somnambulism (at least easily) is self-defeating.

I prefer to have the presupposition based on David Elman--who mostly taught doctors and dentists--that we should be able to get a person into somnambulism in under 3 minutes.

At least it works for me.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I think Elman believed that you can get someone who is 'somnambulistic' into somnambulism in under 3 minutes. I cannot see how he could possibly have meant anything other than that surely. And if it took him that long then he'd need to practice his inductions!
And I also think most stage hypnotists would be delighted with a guarantee of 20% in any given crowd at any given time. I say that because most of the shows I've seen in the last couple years they're normally thrilled to get 4 or 5 out of a crowd of a hundred. That'd be 5%.
The above are simply facts.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Elman believed that somnambulism was hypnosis per se. That is, either you got a person into that state or they weren't hypnotized. This was for anesthesia. Three-four minutes was what an inexperienced, unpracticed hypnotist should take to get someone to that level. He thought an experienced and trained hypnotist should get a person to that level in about a minute or less. This is according to Elman's son ( http://thehypnotistsconvention.ning.com/......up%3A387 ).

I agree with you concerning stage hypnotists. However, this depends upon both the nature of the audience and the quality of the hypnotist. As MP has implied many times, the quality of stage performers has decreased due to lack of training. That doesn't mean there aren't some great performers, only that there are some bad ones in increasing numbers.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2010-10-28 11:52, dmkraig wrote:
Elman believed that somnambulism was hypnosis per se. That is, either you got a person into that state or they weren't hypnotized.


Wow, I see what you're saying. Hmmm, I don't think I've ever heard that Elman had that belief, thanks.

I suppose hypnotists would ever collectively agree but it 'seems' that most would agree that:
1) Nearly everyone (but not all) can be actively hypnotised by a hypnotist (I'm NOT talking about slipping into it during a daydream etc).
2) Although they can go into hypnosis not all (even after a full handclasp) will demonstrate phenomena.
3) Even somnambulism is on a spectrum. Some will do a lot and some literally anything.

and

4) No one will ever admit they don't know why that is.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I agree with you. I think I would word your #1 differently:

Nearly everyone can be hypnotized by a hypnotist, but no specific hypnotist can hypnotize everyone who can go into hypnosis.

I also agree with you about somnambulism. For stage work, somnambulism is often too deep. People enjoy it so much that they just sit there like a blob.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
LOL, yeah I've got this very good friend who 'sleeps' on command and wakes up on command but does nothing in between. With as little paraphrasing as possible they say something like: "Sorry, I'd like to do stuff, I really would, but it just feels soooooo relaxed I simply cannot lift a Finger."
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Why cant I get hypnotized? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL