The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Kindle magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
Does anyone know if Hay's bible is sold as an e-book? I would love to have it on my Kindle. Do you know of any other beginners e-books or other important works like Bobos?
Shamsiel
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I found several on Kindle. Just check "magic" in the Kindle store... Did not see Hays, however...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I suppose you have a Kindle so you are stuck with the Kindle store?

My iPad does Kindle, Barnes and Noble Nook, apple iBook store and generic PDFs (using GoodReader.)

When looking for something that is a specialty I generally check the three stores (for convenience), and then google to see if there are PDFs available.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
mediamonk
View Profile
Regular user
Walla Walla
103 Posts

Profile of mediamonk
I'm pretty sure the Kindle will allow you to load PDFs on it. Check some other e-book sites like lybrary.com (my new favorite site), and see what they have available. Just checked...no Hay's bible, but there is loads of other great material to check out. Bobo's is available for $8.50 at lybrary.
"There are two ways of living life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is." -Albert Einstein
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
It will, but unless its a Kindle DX they are unreadable.

I have a kindle gathering dust Smile
mediamonk
View Profile
Regular user
Walla Walla
103 Posts

Profile of mediamonk
Aah, that's good to know as I was thinking of buying a kindle for storing all my pdfs.
"There are two ways of living life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is." -Albert Einstein
shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
I have an old kindle and was thinking of buying a newer one. But I will save for an Ipad. Thank you Cyberqat all of those functions sold me on the Ipad (you should get a commission on the sale.

I noticed, and it must have appeared through manipulation, a whole section devoted to e-books at the Café! I apologize for missing that (you guys and your, misdirection!).

I checked lybrary.com and lots of good books. thank you Mediamonk.
Amazon has a lot of books, mr Mystoffelees, the only problem I have with them is that its mixed with a lot of occult stuff. I guess I need to learn to use amazon's search function better.
Thanks to all,
Shamsiel
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Most of my work reading is PDF. I tried a Sony Reader and a Kindle before my iPad and both rendered PDFs too small to read.

The iPad is the first device I've found that's actually comfortable for that. I have the cheapest model (14 gig storage, only wifi) and its served my fine. The GoodReader app while not perfect is quite usable and free, as are the store apps (ofcourse using the bookstores costs for the books)
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

I have both the Kindle and Ipad. I think each has its place depending on what your objective is. My biggest issues with Ipad are cost and the seeming lock-down that attends anything Apple.

I am wanting something with the visual of the Ipad but more ease of use for importing proprietary pdfs and other documents, vids, apps, etc. Have you come across anything that better fills that need?
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
With the right apps you can do all of this with the iPad

For PDFs, install GoodReader. Its free and does a good job. To impot documents, just got to your ipad->apps tab in Itunes, select GoodReader at the botton and drag and drop stuff into the list that comes up. (You can also DL straight from the web from inside GoodReader.)

For video you have a few choices. There are a lot of converters out there, and there are starting to be good third party viewers that view other formats natively.

Mostly I stream video from my desktop. The AirVideo server can be downloaded for free and does on-the-fly conversion. The AirVideo app costs you a few bucks but its not bad.

Posted: Oct 28, 2010 11:39am
Update. Apple just approved VLC for iPad, which is great multi-format video player.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/09/a......or-ipad/

In general Apple has been pushed back hard and is loosening their grip. The "you can only use our languages" fiasco rally taught them something, I think.

Plus of course Android is giving them a run for their money.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Interesting... thanks...
shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
Thanks. I didn't know the VLC player was approved. Its a great player.
StephenP
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of StephenP
I have a Kindle 2 and was really glad when they upgraded the software to read PDFs, but Cyberqat is right--the regular screen is just too small. You can turn the page sideways for a slightly larger read (what I currently do), but it's a bit unwieldy.

Unfortunately, my eyes don't like the back-lit iPad anywhere near the eInk screen of the Kindle though. I've collected a minor library in old pdfs and I think I'm ready to invest in a Kindle DX with the bigger screen.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

I totally agree about the screen. If I want to do some serious reading, I grab the Kindle...
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
199 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
Amateur magician's Handbook by Hay is available at Lybrary. In fact I think that's the only place its available...
-Rob
shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
A little update on the Kindle and PDF's. I recently mentioned something that most of you probably know. Even though I might be known to produce miracles and prodigies from time to time, I suck at working with modern technology.

My wife was kind enough to explain to me that by sending my PDF's to my Kindle email ("name"@free.kindle.com) with the KEY word "Convert" in the subject line of the email; I then receive my PDF converted to Kindle format. This is awesome! I can buy a few PDF's I had in mind from Lybrary.com and convert them. Amateur Magician will be the first on the list. Although I will keep the printed copy close to ward of the evil spirits of laziness that creep on me every time I'm tempted to buy a trick online without finishing my first run through all of the material at least once.

Shamsiel
Medortho
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Medortho
You can use programms like calibre to convert every type of format to the kindle MOBI-format. Just keep an eye on the DRMs.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Sham,

This is true but try it with a free PDF before you invest any money.

I found the results unreadable on a standard Kindle screen. (They are fine I'm sure on a DX.)
shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
Thanks for the tip cyberqat. I tried it with a few pdf's I was given a long time ago by my aunt (a few tomes of magick, with a "K" "occultism" it runs as deep in the family as catholicism) and for some reason some came out perfectly and with some I couldn't adjust fonts at all. What gives?
Is this because of DRM's Le0n? Some type of copy protection?
Shamsiel
(Feeling more like an intense fool at the time than a Magus)
Medortho
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Medortho
No need to feel bad. The problem you're experiencing is, I guess, due to the quality of the pdf's. Check them in their original format. Can you highlight individual words in the text with the cursor? If not, then it is rather a scan than an authentic e-book. Hence any converting programm can't find words that it shall copy into a different format. You're then left with something you should keep as a PDF, using youre kindle in landscape mode.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Kindle magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL