The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... Pretalk - is there a book? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
Given all the "great" books on the subject of hypnosis, I wonder if anyone can recommend a book/booklet on pretalk. Ive seen that some people say a good pretalk gets your good subjects half way to being hypnotised, so Id like some of the pros to say if they can recommend any literature on the subject.
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
Zoto
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Zoto
Hypnotherapy by Dave Elman - Westwood Publishing Company.

I love Elman and any varrient of rapid induction. The hardest part is realizing that it was really as easy as it is written.

Jerry
jesselewis
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of jesselewis
Pick up ronnings modern guide to stage hypnosis it goes through everything from pretalks to the end of show. It will teach you more than some mentors do.

Jesse
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
How many mentors have you had Jesse ?!
Deeper and Deeper by Jon Chase has a concise chapter on the pre-talk patter and you'll get a whole lot more besides..
Great book for the price.

Quote:
On 2010-10-28 19:24, jesselewis wrote:
Pick up ronnings modern guide to stage hypnosis it goes through everything from pretalks to the end of show. It will teach you more than some mentors do.

Jesse
Anansi
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Anansi
Hey Owen,

Como esta? How's Spain working out for you?

I'm referring you to an earlier thread (before you joined Sleepy)where several of the more experienced amongst us gave up a few pearls about pre-talk.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=22

I hope they don't mind, but you've been around a while, so thought I'd point it out.
:devilish: Yours in a cultural whirlwind,

Anansi
ars est celare artem
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
Thanks for the suggestions Jesse and Quicknotist. Ill get my hands on copies of those books as soon as my bank account recovers from my last purchases!

Anansi - Im good, and cheers very much for the link, looks exactly what Im after. Spain is still in one piece, but Im working on it Smile
If I can be of any assistance then do let me know. Smile

I do have one doubt though, Ive seen rapid inductions like the handshake, followed by hand to face etc (I remember a video by Anthony Jacquin using a bartender) in which there was no pretalk used (Ant states this) and yet the subject went under straight away.... dont quite know what to make of that.
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
You should in my opinion never attempt to hypnotise someone without their consent otherwise its assault. Plus you do not know the mental state of the person. Good pretalk should eliminate people with emotional and psychological problems.

To not do this is assault and asking for trouble. I would personally punch someone in the face if they tried that on me.
jesselewis
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of jesselewis
Hey Quicknotist,
I have had a few mentors that were not willing to give up information very easily. something about not really wanting to train they still took my money though. I have read Ronnings book and deeper and deeper by chase and they are both very good I just prefer Ronnings.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2010-10-29 11:04, mindpunisher wrote:
To not do this is assault and asking for trouble. I would personally punch someone in the face if they tried that on me.

.... wait a minute. Wouldn't you punching them in the face me MORE of an assault?

But point taken. I am well informed that any form of touch without permission can in fact lead to a charge of assault.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Well touch is one thing inducing trance is another. I would see it more as self defense.

The fact that someone would attempt that without a pre talk without getting permission and without any regards to the mental or emotional state of his target is someone who shouldn't be doing hypnosis. And you can bet if they don't have either any respect or knowledge in that area they will be far short in other areas too.

Anyone teaching others should be peeled alive and rolled in salt.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Quote:
On 2010-10-29 10:33, Owen Mc Ginty wrote:

I do have one doubt though, I�ve seen rapid inductions like the handshake, followed by hand to face etc (I remember a video by Anthony Jacquin using a bartender) in which there was no pretalk used (Ant states this) and yet the subject went under straight away.... don�t quite know what to make of that.

All you need to make of that is that it can be done. I needed to know. I am not suggesting anyone does the same. I certainly do not make a habit of it. Especially on angry Scotsmen.

Anthony

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I think that's sensible Ant. But seriously doing an interrupt on someone without a proper pre-talk or option/permission to be hypnotised is something that really shouldn't be encouraged. I'm sure partly based upon Ross Jeffries walk up intterupt you did teach this.

If I am mistaken then I stand to be corrected.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

You are mistaken. Consider yourself corrected.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Updated for 2016

dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
It's not a book, but I can recommend Richard Nongard's Stage Hypnosis Pre-Talk and Induction DVD. I really liked his ideas and the focus on concepts rather than exact words to say. He says, and I agree, that the pre-talk may be "the most important element" in having a successful stage show. I think if you get this DVD, study the concepts and view it several times (as Richard suggests on the DVD) you'll have a great foundation for a successful show.

I'm going to do a more thorough review in the reviews section.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2010-10-30 00:50, Anthony Jacquin wrote:
You are mistaken. Consider yourself corrected.

Anthony

So you do a proper pre talk in your walk ups? I thought you said "let me show you something interesting then went into a handshake induction?

If I am wrong then that's good.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

As I said you are wrong. The Jeffries thing only concerns approach, not set up.

Ant
Anthony Jacquin

Updated for 2016

mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Just had a scan on what you call "set up". First of all you say if you do the approach well you might not even have to do the set up. So you do actually encourage people to go straight into hypnosis if the "conditions" are right.

Secondly if someone asks you if you will make them look silly you advise to tell them no even if you are planning something silly. If someone comes to a show they knowwhat they are coming to plus you tell them in the pre talk you don't lie to them.

But the most important thing here is there is no screening of anybody who might have a psychological or emotional problem.

So unless you are teaching something different now than the Manchurian Approach. You don't have a proper pre talk that would satisfy the guidelines attached to the 1952 hypnotism act. Which is in place for safety reasons.

But put the 1952 act aside that's not really the point. The point is that what you are doing is indeed encouraging bad practice and in the wrong hands could cause a real problem.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... Pretalk - is there a book? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL