The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mentalism Reveals (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mark Elsdon
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of Mark Elsdon
I've started getting lots of emails asking for more information about my new mentalism book, Mentalism Reveals.

Well, it covers two aspects of mentalism very close to my heart and represents a LOT of time spent studying, performing and writing.

Please check out the following link for ALL the details:

http://elsdon.blogspot.com/2010/10/mentalism-reveals.html

If you have ANY questions whatsoever, please ask away and I'll do my best to answer as fully as I can.

Cheers,

ME
Check out The View From Here:
http://elsdon.blogspot.com/
Gregg Foxx
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Gregg Foxx
Okay, Mark, you got my interest...

I agree that the quality of the "revelation" at the end of any mentalism routine can "make or break" the entire effect. If your book really details and analyzes how best to script and structure climaxes, I'll buy it. I see that your book is not inexpensive. I therefore fully expect I won't be buying "fluff" and will get original and not re-hashed commonly understood concepts and ideas ...
Best,
Gregg
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
On 2010-10-29 13:22, Gregg Foxx wrote:
Okay, Mark, you got my interest...

I agree that the quality of the "revelation" at the end of any mentalism routine can "make or break" the entire effect. If your book really details and analyzes how best to script and structure climaxes, I'll buy it. I see that your book is not inexpensive. I therefore fully expect I won't be buying "fluff" and will get original and not re-hashed commonly understood concepts and ideas ...
Best,
Gregg

Gregg, I would like to see review of this once you have finished reading it.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Mark Elsdon
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of Mark Elsdon
Hi Gregg,

Thank you for your post and your interest!

The book does indeed provide new and original full scripts (for effects and presentations of my own devising), as well as deconstructing the scripts to show which are the essential elements and why. And how those elements can be applied to effects that one already performs.

I also discuss the interplay between talking and silence. Of equal (or perhaps more) importance there is also a chapter on timing, including how to build and conclude an effect for maximum memorability. A great closing line can really underscore the power of an effect.

The chapter that analyses how to structure effects (so that the climax or revelation has the most impact possible) contains a lot of ideas that I have not seen in print anywhere else. This applies to most of the chapters actually! And whilst it would be very self-aggrandizing of me to use the term 'ground-breaking' about my own book, I do think that the book discusses a lot of aspects of mentalism that have not been written about before.

Whilst some of the ideas in the book, and indeed some of my thinking on these subjects, is shaped by my study of the works of Burger, Carney, Harris, Neale, Swiss, Ortiz, Tamariz, Kurtz, Hass, Riese, Stone, Weber, Hickok and others, there is no 'fluff' or re-hashed information at all! I wouldn't waste my time or anyone else's if I didn't think I had something valuable to add to the literature, offering ideas and suggestions that can definitely strengthen one's performance.

I hope this sheds a little more light on things...

Cheers,

ME
Gregg Foxx
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Gregg Foxx
Okay. I will buy it, read it and post my comments/review.
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
684 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
I've been lucky enough to see an early draft of this and its a really wonderful book. I can't imagine anybody being disapointed with this. Some really goundbreaking stuff!

Iain.
Mark Elsdon
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of Mark Elsdon
Thanks Iain,

The book has grown quite a lot since the draft that you read. Almost all the chapters have expanded and I've added several others, including the discussion of the role of comedy in mentalism that I was deliberating about. It will raise a few eyebrows I'm sure Smile

For those of you who have emailed me asking about the nature of the revelations included, I can happily confirm that they are all tried and tested, professional-level presentations. (This doesn't mean that you have to be a professional to use them, just that they are of a 'workers' standard.)

Although some of the book is theoretical in nature, none of the scripts or revelations are; they are directly from the working repertoires of myself and some of my friends and colleagues. All are original and unpublished and I think several will become standard approaches, such is their power and simplicity.

Finally, for anyone considering a purchase, I can tell you that a little over half the copies have been pre-ordered at this point.

As always, if anyone has any further questions, please ask...

Cheers,

ME
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I mean no disrespect, but would you care to share your credentials for writing a book that seems to concentrate on the performance of mentalism.

I know of your name through your creations but I am not aware of your experience as a working performer. I see no webpage for "Mark Elsdon" as a performer. Is the book based around the performance of "close-up" mentalism, or stand-up and stage performances? I would be interested if the book focuses on stand-up and stage performance but would also want to know that you have sufficient experience in this area of performance before I purchased a book by you.

Thanks.
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1987 Posts

Profile of puggo
While I have no idea about this latest offering, the 'Meridian technique' was written to a high standard, and 'fluff free' IMHO.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2010-11-07 08:49, aussiemagic wrote:
I mean no disrespect, but would you care to share your credentials for writing a book that seems to concentrate on the performance of mentalism.

I know of your name through your creations but I am not aware of your experience as a working performer. I see no webpage for "Mark Elsdon" as a performer. Is the book based around the performance of "close-up" mentalism, or stand-up and stage performances? I would be interested if the book focuses on stand-up and stage performance but would also want to know that you have sufficient experience in this area of performance before I purchased a book by you.

Thanks.

Aussie, what's you problem ?
I don't know if Mark has a big backround or not and I don't care.
If it's not the case, since when somedody need to be a world champion to be a good coach ?
If the book talk to me I buy it if not I don't that's it.
Since when somedoby has to justified himself when he publish something ?
I don't know where you live but where I live, we're in democraty.
P-S: I don't know Mark at all.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Aussie has some valid concerns. I don't see any problems with him asking questions.

You wouldn't buy a book on how to fly helicopters with out knowing if the author has actually flown helicopters would you?
Magic is a vanishing art.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3054 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
While I don't know Mark personally, I can say that what I have read of his has been both insightful and real-world practical. In other words, of great value in a medium where, unfortunately, the same cannot be said about the majority of what I come across.

It's certainly an individual's prerogative to want to 'check credentials' before paying hard-earned cash for a product, but I would be careful with the notion that one must have achieved a certain level as a performer before his or her work is deemed of value. This is where the helicopter pilot analogy stalls.

The world is filled with myriad coaches, directors, writers, etc., who may not have achieved high stature as performers/players, etc., but have found their place in providing direction and feedback to improve the performance of others. Baseball is a great example, where some of the most successful coaches were marginal ballplayers, at best, but are superb at getting the best out of their players.

By the way, please don't read into this that I am suggesting that Mark is not an accomplished performer. I'm merely saying that some of the best feedback on scripting and stage direction, often comes from those who do not spend the majority of their time on stage. Conversely, not all great performers are capable of providing articulate feedback as to how others may become better performers. These are two VERY DIFFERENT skill sets!

No need to check my credentials (but feel free to, if you wish!).....I'm merely adding what I believe to be important perspective to the discussion.

e
Mark Elsdon
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of Mark Elsdon
Aussiemagic,

No disrespect felt!

Thank you to Puggo, Parmenion and Eric (what a law firm THAT would be!) for making the very valid point that it is not always necessary for good teachers or writers to be/have been great performers.

And whilst I do NOT want to blow my own trumpet by waxing lyrical about what a wonderful performer I am, I would at least like you to know that I own a trumpet!

I have been a professional performer for over 20 years, originally as a close-up magician and magic bartender, but for the last few years primarily as a 'mentalist', doing both stand-up and close-up shows. Although the majority of the material I release to the magic marketplace is more close-up magic oriented, that doesn't reflect my performance interests or priorities. The bulk of my work is either private functions or parties, launches and premieres for the music and film industry here in the UK. You will, however, be able to see me perform on stage at several public shows in London between now and Christmas.

My new website (which, as my friends will tell you, has taken me FAR too long to get sorted) will be online at http://www.markelsdon.com by the end of this month.

With regard to aussiemagic's comment:

"Is the book based around the performance of "close-up" mentalism, or stand-up and stage performances? I would be interested if the book focuses on stand-up and stage performance..."

The book discusses many issues surrounding both being a performer and specifically the performance of 'mentalism' irrespective of where it is performed. Of course, there are differences between close-up and stand up and these are addressed (particularly with regard to timing and blocking). The performance material is split about 50/50 although the script commentaries are applicable across the board.

Cheers,

ME
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Thanks Mark for your reply.

I will give your book my serious consideration.

Best

AM
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Mark Elsdon
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of Mark Elsdon
Just thought I'd post a few brief comments that I sent someone in reply to a question they asked me about the book. I hope that they offer a little more insight into some of the book's content:

Mentalism Reveals discusses how to sequence your entire performance for maximum impact. In other words, what kind of effects to use at different points to contrast with aspects of a preceding effect, how to work the rollercoaster of experiences for your audience throughout the show, etc.

The book also looks at how to expand one of my favourite mentalism performance concepts, Chuck Hickok's 'multiple moments of amazement' and shows how it can be applied to a whole show rather than just a single effect. Further, what about structuring close-up and informal performances along similar lines, without making it seem contrived and overly theatrical? Again, the book offers practical guidelines.

The chapter that discusses Powers vs Skills talks about how to layer premises, and how to move from effects that have a powerful cerebral reaction to effects that have a powerful emotional one. In this way a performance/show can have a much, much stronger impact. It is the book's (and my!) contention that style, premise and (emotional) hook are at least as important as specific effect selection.

Cheers,

ME
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Seems like a good read, Mark!
I was at your lecture up here in Newcastle - all very good stuff!
I've never done mentalism but would be interested in learning about it, but I would be starting from the ground up. Would this be a good place to start my research?

Cheers!
Andrew
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2010-11-14 13:51, Andrewzuber wrote:
Seems like a good read, Mark!
I was at your lecture up here in Newcastle - all very good stuff!
I've never done mentalism but would be interested in learning about it, but I would be starting from the ground up. Would this be a good place to start my research?

Cheers!
Andrew

Of course not !
Corinda, karl Fulves or annemann are good to understand and learn the basis and more about mentalism.
But you can buy is book, for later Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2659 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On 2010-11-14 13:08, Mark Elsdon wrote:
Mentalism Reveals discusses how to sequence your entire performance for maximum impact. In other words, what kind of effects to use at different points to contrast with aspects of a preceding effect, how to work the rollercoaster of experiences for your audience throughout the show, etc.

This is a great idea. Some performances show little or no coherence because they're just a string of unrelated effects. Instead of a rollercoaster, the audience gets a bumpy bus ride. Putting it another way, they get a "greatest hits collection" instead of a "concept album". Okay, I'm all out of analogies...
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3370 Posts

Profile of Looch
I could be selfish, infact I WANT to be selfish. Ive been privvy to the contents of Mentalism Revealed for quite a while now and to be quite bloody honest I don't want Marc to release it!!! There Ive said it.

The theory, thinking and development of mentalism is fundamental to GOOD mentalism and Mark all to well knows this. This book gives real world performers an absoulte wealth of iformation about WHY they do what they do. I have had a long time fascination for the use of colour in mentalism and it took this book to make me aware of that, if that makes sense? (Mark made me realise why I do what I do)

Mark then takes us on a journey that in essence makes us consider and rethink the way we present and reveal information to our audiences. We are told Mentalism isn't visual but the techniques and brain food on offer here made me re-evaluate my presentations to make them as real as "I" can currently get. If you want to know what a real mind reader would do, get this book and then the realisation will hit you that you actually knew all along, but it took this evil genuis Elsdon to make you realise it!!!

Favourite book of 2010 for me.
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Gregory57
View Profile
Loyal user
243 Posts

Profile of Gregory57
Am I correct, your book sells for about $155.00?
Cliff Gregory Wollin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mentalism Reveals (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL