The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Ho, Ho, Ho! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I realize Halloween isn't over yet (actually it hasn't even begun), but that hasn't stopped the Xmas bazaars from starting up.

I'm working my first Xmas Bazaar tomorrow and we'll see how it goes. Then I have another next Saturday, followed by a Channukah Bazaar the next day. Channukah comes early this year (December 2nd), so November and early December should be a fairly busy (and profitable) time.

All you pitchmen who packed up your tents when it got cold, come on inside and work some of these indoor bazaars -- they are usually pretty good venues. Best of all, because people are looking for "stocking stuffers," I will often see multiple purchases of the same item, so I make more money for less work.

And lest I forget, the meatball subs/hoagies/grinders/sandwiches at these shows are usually pretty good, too. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Well Folks!

I hit milepost 65 and Iam retiring. I have a Complete Higley Strange Thing Show , inclues EZ Up white with sidewall, banners, etc. For sale $800.00 CASH U.S. DOLLARS and my Svengali Pitch joint with stock. $400.00 CASH U.S. DOLLARS. I WILL SELL BOTH FOR $1,100.00. Can't Ship. Pick up in Michigan. Both units ready to go and make dollars for you.

ROD
sideshowsam
View Profile
New user
I see you staring at my
86 Posts

Profile of sideshowsam
Rod,

Very cool that you already sold the Pitch Joint - is the Strange Thing still available?

I wish you a lot of success down the road...

./sam
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
I think that's a great deal for anyone in a position to take advantage of it.
You are still going to see us here aren't you Rod?
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Rod -- All the best to you!

Hopefully there are a few others who will pick up where you left off. SETH
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Thanks Guys!

The equiptment is no longer for sale. Thanks to everyone for their inquiries.

ROD
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Than let me jump in here.Since the Halloween show never happen with the local IBM ring I have 175 squirmles and a beautiful 6 foot squrimle banner for sale.$210 free shipping in the U.S.

P.M. me

Thanks Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Back on topic --I was a vendor yesterday at a big Xmas Bazaar sponsored by a Catholic school. Tons of vendors in the auditorium and all through the hallways, a very nice setup.

More importantly, there were lots of kids and lots of parents with money. As Don would say, you could almost "smell the money"! I was busy from about 8:30 straight through to the 4 pm closing time. Around 2 pm I took a short break for a meatball sub/hoagie (very good, lots of garlic!) and a Coke, and still had people waiting for the next "magic show" while I ate! I went through a case of Magic Worms and also sold quite a few Svengali Decks as well.

This year I added a new trick, a Coin Slide. They used to be made of balsa wood when I was a kid, now they are plastic but still are well made. I call it a "Magic Coin Bank" and the kids get a big kick out of it. First I put in a penny which changes into a nickel (earning "interest" by magic!). Next I put in another penny and it magically flips over by itself. Finally, I vanish a penny with a simple Finger Palm and it reappers in the slide by magic (making deposits even when the bank is closed!) Sold quite a few of them as well. It's a good trick because it's simple enough for even the 4th graders to do by themselves, but still very mystifying. And it resets in a flash, packs small, demos well, and comes with good instructions, which helps to prevent walkbacks. Click HERE for more info; both Robbins and Loftus carry them. SETH
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
That's good news Seth.Its about time something worked for you.You had a rough summer and spring.Keep up the good work.

Later,Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Thanks, Don, it has been a tough year as you know!

Coincidentally, at yesterday's show I spoke with some of the other vendors that I knew -- a Sand Art lady, a guy that sells acrylic paperweights, a wood carver, and so on. They all said that this year was the worst they'd seen in a while, and it wasn't the economy, either. Even when it wasn't raining, the real hot weather kept the crowds down at the shows they did work. That made me feel better (hey, misery loves company!). The outdoor shows are definitely where the real money is, but the weather is a big risk, and around here we just had a run of very bad luck this year.

Fortunately, everybody seemed to do well yesterday, and I'm looking forward to the next couple of shows. With the right setup, a good pitch and a good crowd, the worms and the Svengali Decks are still very viable items. I had good-sized tips all day, and they were easy to turn; I would say that about 90% of them produced very good sales.

I also noticed that yesterday I only went through three worm gimmicks in seven hours (all caused by tangles, no breaks). By comparison, the last "broiler" day I worked, I went through about 20 worm gimmicks in two hours -- all breaks, and all caused by the excessive heat and perspiration on my hands, which increased the friction and the drag on the gimmicks. Even baby powder didn't help, it was just too darn hot, period. SETH
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Just had my first Bazaar today and I'm partly afraid to post it here because it
was so good. For me this venue faired better than the fleas. I still have my
opaque sam adams wooly catapillars that wouldn't move but here they moved....

Grant it, I muck with the packaging by taking the worm out and putting the whole
thing in plastic sandwhich bag.

I followed Don's DVD with the package deal and "stuck to my guns". It worked
really well; I sold many packages this day. I had one lady who wanted just the cards, but I held tight and said, "well this set only comes with the package". So she picked up the whole thing. I knew she wanted it anyway...

My next one will be on 3rd of December, unless I can squeeze in couple more as
a lot of them are filled up.

Just adding to this, but lets keep this our secret Smile
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Congrats, Solrak, on a nice job! And moving the worms to a transparent bag was a good idea -- people like to see what they are buying.

No question the Xmas bazaars are better than the fleas. At the bazaars people come with money and are ready to spend it for something nice or unusual, and they don't haggle over the price. Fleas are for bargain hunters, but they are a good place to get experience and confidence, plus they are usually much cheaper than bazaars or street fairs, so your outlay and risk is much lower when you're just starting out.

I also did a Xmas bazaar today, and I have another one tomorrow. I don't usually like to do two shows back-to-back, it's too tough on the feet and the voice! But two Xmas bazaars are something I can't pass up. And you are right, they are usually booked solid by September, so you need to get in early. But they are usually well worth it, especially the ones held at the religious schools (lots of kids!). SETH
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
BTW, today there was a Sand Art guy next to me. I was doing a Land Office business all morning and he wasn't moving anything. But he was just sitting behind his joint and reading the paper (that's two cardinal sins at one time).

Finally, around lunch time, he says "What's your secret?" I said, "Do you really want to know?" When he said yes, I said, "Put down the paper, stand up, and say "Hello" to every single person that walks by." If you don't make at least $100 in the next hour, I'll be very surprised."

And of course he did, once he got off his butt! SETH
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2010-11-13 20:31, sethb wrote:
And moving the worms to a transparent bag was a good idea -- people like to see what they are buying.

they don't haggle over the price.

Seth, I have to give credit where credit is due, but offline you and I discussed
this a while back and you gave me this idea.

As far haggling, that was the first thing I notice. There was no question or doubt
in the marks..I mean buyers mind...that was actually a relief and made the event
more pleasant.

I had a similiar situation as they Sand Art guy. I told them, "they wont move by
themselves...".

I would do it back to back if I had it booked, but it is long day. I was there
from 9am to 3pm. At fleas, I'm usually there from 8am to 12am....but when I'm
pitchen time just flies on by...
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Ho, Ho, Ho! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL