The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 10 minutes, 2000 people. What would you perform? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
Tossed out Deck and Chair prediction are two of the best suggestions
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Tossed Out Chair.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
cryder
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of cryder
Could not say better than Tossed out deck. It is fast, direct, visual. Will be curious to know what you are going to perform Martin.
Good luck Smile
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2010-10-31 15:32, Dick Christian wrote:
Excuse me for being curious, but if you already had decided what to perform why did you ask the question?

Dick, re-read his quote. Smile
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2010-11-01 11:31, Necromancer wrote:
Tossed Out Chair.

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
I don't understand. I've done stand up sets and have been restricted to 10 min slots. You just be economical with the presentation/script and adapt the pieces you are currently doing to fit. If anything you might be a little taken aback with how everything becomes a lot tighter.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
I don't know if it matters as much what you perform as how you want to make them feel. Hopefully you'll find something that allows the real YOU to shine, maybe something that echoes of other interests in life your audience will share with you.

For example, I enjoy movies. I act in local independent films. I love reading screenplays. I thrill to share with friends a hidden cinematic gem I found in the $5 bin at Blockbuster. Almost everyone likes movies, and though my audience may not be as obsessive about films, most people can connect with my interest.

At the beginning of a show, I want the audience to feel the excitement children feel when they're about to play their favorite game. So, being me, I might open with a game of The Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon. The first two participants name an actor or actress, and I show off an impressive skill of linking those named actors to the great KB. The third person only thinks of an actor or actress and, beginning with Kevin Bacon, I work backwards through the chain until I name their thought-of celebrity name.

My own methods for this effect will be published, but I know that only a few performers will get great mileage because the presentation reflects my personal interests. I found out recently there's a fella' who does a similar routine, only he links named rock 'n roll stars to his favorite famous guitarist. What I mean is while it's a tall order, I think your audience deserves a modified presentation that gives them an idea of the real you while leaving them with emotions and messages you find most important and appropriate for the venue. They don't have to be "deep" thoughts or feelings. If you predicted who would go the longest in a competitive game of paddle ball, I think the crowd would revert to childhood glee. (Incidentally, with polish, practice and a dim finish with UV lights this kid could tour comedy clubs a few years http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWnvOEH7I2Y)
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of Lior
Don't do tossed deck

I will tell what I do for 1000-2000 people , and I do it a lot

Invisible touch,
Mobile opener
10 poker deal

and some other stuff I can not share

but if you don't have a strong personality nothing will help

good luck

Lior
The Lior Touch
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Quote:
Tossed Out Chair.

hahaha
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
[/quote]

I just curious what others do in the same situation. Obviously I already knew that I will perform before I said yes for this. Smile
[/quote]

So what had you decided to do when you took the gig on?
r1z08
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

Profile of r1z08
Quote:
On 2010-11-01 14:46, Lior wrote:

but if you don't have a strong personality nothing will help

Best advice yet on this thread.

-rob
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Tossed Out Deck and Chair Test both seem like ideal suggestions to me. If you have a good Russian roulette routine, that might keep everyone's attention too.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Psychological forces leading into Osterlind's Bank Nite, or

Cassidy's Three Envelope Test
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Okay Martin. I gave you the funny answer earlier. Here's the serious one: you're asking the wrong question.

There is no magical, extra-spectacular effect that will fill the bill. It doesn't exist.

When you stride out onto a stage, you need to do something that lets the audience get to know you and hopefully like you and care about what you're doing. If you're doing 90 minutes, that's your first effect. If you're doing 10 minutes, it's probably your only effect.

So think about what you know, and what effects let you do this. What works for me is not and cannot be the same as what will work for you.

Best of luck,
Neil

P.S. I can tell you exactly what you should not do: a supposedly life-or-health-threatening Russian Roulette effect. Contrary to Mind Guerrilla and to several TV producers who should know better, if your audience hasn't had sufficient time to get to know and like you (and if you're only doing 10 minutes, they won't), nobody will care whether you overcome this or that allegedly dramatic challenge. That means they'll be rooting for you to fail -- and if you don't fail, how exactly is frustrating their desire for blood going to make them like you?
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Neil,

Good advice. As I was thinking about the 10-minute time limit, it basically forces you to do one effect, which is why I offered the two I did. I don't know about you, but I would not structure a mini-show with two effects, so, if I wanted to do more, then I would have to do at least three -- but the time is just not there in this situation.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Russian Roulette someone in the the Audience!

Then they will care! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1528 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
Quote:
On 2010-11-02 07:19, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Russian Roulette someone in the the Audience!

Then they will care! Smile

I think we've all seen that smash-n-stab video Smile
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
655 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Quote:
Tossed Out Chair.

It's been done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTjgtzMWEvc

Doc
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2010-11-02 09:48, Doc Dixon wrote:
Quote:
Tossed Out Chair.

It's been done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTjgtzMWEvc

Doc

Excellent example. And as you can see, it immediately establishes his persona. Smile

Best,
Neil
joemcdull
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of joemcdull
Quote:
On 2010-10-30 15:01, David Alexander wrote:
Look in the Berglas book. There are several effects that qualify as large mentalism "illusions" that would work.

You didn't mention if you have a proscenium or not. That would make a difference in your presentation.

Is that the "Mind and Magic of David Berglas"? And which one do you refer to?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 10 minutes, 2000 people. What would you perform? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL