The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » The Floating Ring. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Fitzgerald
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England.
215 Posts

Profile of John Fitzgerald
Hello,

For anybody who has "Absolute Magic" by Derren Brown can you tell me if he explains the method behind this effect? Or does he just describe his presentation for it?

I'm interested in this effect and Derren's book and I would like to know what IT I need? Will I need just IT or an ITR or Loops?

If you don't have the book could you tell me the IT that is most commonly used for this effect? Can you use any IT or are Loops the only or preffered IT to use?

Thanks,

John.
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
Hi John!

The book does not describe the method. However, it is a dream to read! You will not need loops or an itr. There are several threads that one can use. I like the John Haar thread, which you can get at Steven's Magic. There are a couple of kinds. Get the non-elastic for this effect. The hookup is brilliant. The ring can be immediately picked up by your specatator, that is, if she hasn't fainted at that point. Let me try to find a source for you...

John B. Born
John Fitzgerald
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England.
215 Posts

Profile of John Fitzgerald
Thanks,

Would you recommend "The Art of Invisible Thread" by Jon LeClaire?

Does this have a good method for floating a ring. What else does the book have in terms of techniques and effects?

Thanks again,

John.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
The best "method" in my opinion (and everyone has one) is Mesika's using his IT loops. I have my own presentation, but I use his hook-up verbatim.

Regards, Larry D.
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
John:

You can go to Jon LeClair's website here:
http://www.leclairanimator.com/products/
and read the table of contents to his book. Although it does not have a method for floating a ring, there is a method for rising a ring up a pencil or wand. I've found his method to be the most practical for using invisible thread.

Bill Beach
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
LeClair has some good work. However, if you want to float a ring...don't use the loops. There are much better methods. If you are into thread, it is worth checking out the stuff from LeClair, Mesika, Finn Jonn, Kevin James, and John Haar. John Haar has a walk-away floating dollar to kill for. All have excellent contributions for this delicate art. I find that it is little investment checking out all compared to the objectivity and wealth of information you will gain in researching these few names. However, Derren Brown takes the cake for the ring levitation, as the ring floats horizontally, not vertically as common with many techniques. It is visually disturbing. Especially when it floats down to her hand and she picks it up... Smile

John B. Born
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
John -
Interested in why you don't recommend loops? Using Mesika's method, the ring floats onto the finger.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Derren states that the handling he uses is from a video by Terry Lunceford. I don't know the name of it, but it's probably worth seeking out. Derren's presentation is fantastic.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Where can resources be located for Terry Lunceford or John Harr ? Dealers , Videos, DVDs, books ?
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
I'd like to know more about John Harr too.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Terry Lunceford explains his floating ring routine on a video that's available from his website:

http://www.terrysmagicpub.com/download/product.html
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » The Floating Ring. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL