The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Metal tips to a magic wand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DavinSimone
View Profile
New user
Central Louisiana
59 Posts

Profile of DavinSimone
I would like to turn out my own wand on my lathe. Obviously there is not much to this process. However I don't do any metal working at all but would still love to have the metal ends on my wands.

I called Joe Porper's shop and the fellow I talked to on the phone was not helpful. When I told him I was going to turn my own on the Lathe and just wanted to buy some tips he asked me what kind of tips I wanted, to which I said brass. His response was that brass is not hard to work with and I should just make my own. It took me asking if he sold his tips twice more before he said he preferred not to sell them. Perhaps I rubbed him the wrong way? I've never delt with Joe Porper's company before and the guy on the phone did not identify himself so I don't know who I was dealing with.

Advice on where I can get tips or advice on how I might have came across the wrong way on the phone would be useful. Thanks!
Davin L. Simone

Close up/Parlor Magician
IBM Ring 268 - The Cajun Conjurers
http://www.facebook.com/DavinSimone

Above poster suffers from a severe lack of judgment and logic. Assume any points he made are wrong and baseless.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
You can also use brass tubing a ferrule ends which I actually prefer. I like to see the polished end of a nice wood wand with the brass ferrule around it. Polish the brass on a wheel for a high gloss.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
DavinSimone
View Profile
New user
Central Louisiana
59 Posts

Profile of DavinSimone
Thanks for this. It's not exactly what I am looking for, but it's a hell of a lot better than my best idea so far. At the very least I'll have to do this. Thanks!

Any other even better ideas out there?
Davin L. Simone

Close up/Parlor Magician

Above poster suffers from a severe lack of judgment and logic. Assume any points he made are wrong and baseless.
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
I have milled down .44 mag, .45 colt, and .410 brass casings, taking the butt of the casing down to the flash hole and sealing with an upsidedown primer cup.

Also fabricated tips from giraffe bone and used cutdown shell casings to seperate the polished bone from the wood dowel.

Then, finish off with beeswax rub-in polish.

Experiment, let your creative side go and see what you come up with. I have take the smaller tangs off mule deer antler and made pocket size wands that look like a minature steer horn. Western magick.

MuleePete
DavinSimone
View Profile
New user
Central Louisiana
59 Posts

Profile of DavinSimone
Oh yes, trust me, the antler wand is a work in progress for me. Unfortunately this hunting season has not been kind so it might have to wait another year.

Never thought about using casings. Excellent idea!
Davin L. Simone

Close up/Parlor Magician

tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-11-01 22:10, DavinSimone wrote:
Oh yes, trust me, the antler wand is a work in progress for me. Unfortunately this hunting season has not been kind so it might have to wait another year.

Never thought about using casings. Excellent idea!

Brass casings make beautiful wand tips. Delve into a little history for a moment if you will. It's well known that Willard used a wand with casings for tips. I made one for Pete Biro many years ago. He called it a "street wand" and Tabman USA has been making them that way for years. There's probably some pictures of them on Ray's website http://TabmanTables.com When my wife was on the US Shooting Team, I had access to tons of brass. The 45 brass makes a great tip. Cut down 308 too.

You need mule deer antler?? I should have a few around here if you need a point or two.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
All credit to Tabman to use the brass casings for wands. Following his lead.

Should have put this in the other post. Sorry.

MuleePete
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22771 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I made a beautiful wand from a piece of hardwood dowell and on a bench saw cut down the ends to fit the chromed brass end caps. Made it in about a 15 minutes.

I then painted mine with black Epoxy paint. My ends were from an old vanishing wand kit.

If you want to make your own brass tips, just use the tubing idea above mentioned. Brass tubing is sold at most hardware stores and hobby shops. To make the ends closed, just set the brass tube you cut to length on a piece of brass sheeting, sold at the same place you get the tubing. Sweat Solder the tube to the sheet and cut around the tip with a Jewelers saw. Next put a buffing wheel on a drill and secure drill in a holder sold at most tool stores. Buy some Jewerlers buffing stones, they come in red, black, white and brown. Apply the rouge to the buffing wheel and then polish the brass until it is smooth and shinning.

It is not beyond your abilities, it just takes time and work. Other wise just buy a Vanishing Wand set, currently Loftus/Empire sells a nice Vanishing want set for about $12 that comes with nice chrome metal tips.

The books suggest that wands be 18" in lenght and 12" for close-up use. Usually about 1/2" in dia.

Hope this helps you solve your wand issue.
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Still making them Tabby.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
DavinSimone
View Profile
New user
Central Louisiana
59 Posts

Profile of DavinSimone
Thanks for all this great info. I am doing well so far on this. Pictures will be up soon enough!
Davin L. Simone

Close up/Parlor Magician

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Metal tips to a magic wand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL