We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Strong plastic to wood glue (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Krisgar
View Profile
New user
Bedfordshire, UK
42 Posts

Profile of Krisgar
Title pretty much suggests the question, what glue do you recommend for a strong bond between plastic and wood? I'm looking at Epoxy at the moment, any suggestions?

Building a table with an inbuilt speak and microphone system for small hall gigs but will have all the workings inside to run with extra speakers on larger hall scale. Will upload pictures in the future if anyones interested
Krisgar Entertainments
Childrens Entertainer in Bedfordshire
natswift
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado
175 Posts

Profile of natswift
I've had some luck w/ Gorilla glue
Never forget to dream!

Nathan Smith
nateswift2010@gmail.com
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
What exactly are you attaching to what? If it's thick enough, I'd drill holes in the plastic and screw or bolt it to the wood.

There's still options (T-nuts, etc) if you need it to be flush.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Gorilla Glue, or Liquid Nails is what I would use.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Krisgar
View Profile
New user
Bedfordshire, UK
42 Posts

Profile of Krisgar
I'm joining a 'L' shape strip of plastic to 6mm ply to form a guide for a sliding door, seems gorilla glue maybe my best bet?
Krisgar Entertainments
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2359 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Ca is amazing, or any 5 minute epoxy, Gorilla is strong but watch out for expansion
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2359 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Ca is amazing, or any 5 minute epoxy, Gorilla is strong but watch out for expansion
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21831 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
How think is the plastic 'L' material. I screwed a 1/16" thick 'L' piece of 1/2" aluminum to the inside of my table for a drawer slide. Using a screw recess tool on my drill, I set the 1/4" flat head wood screws into the aluminum strip, it comes out flush not interfering with the drawer slide in any way.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Take wmhegbli's advice if you can. The slide will see a lot of action, and screws will be more durable than glue. (You can use both if you really want.)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
If the part has any stress on it, go with the screw method as described above.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Krisgar
View Profile
New user
Bedfordshire, UK
42 Posts

Profile of Krisgar
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, when I'm next in the workshop I'll let you know what I decide Smile
Krisgar Entertainments
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You are in the U.K. .... Araldite is way stronger then the epoxy materials available in the U.S.A. I have a Brit friend bring me some every time he comes over.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-11-05 21:09, Pete Biro wrote:
You are in the U.K. .... Araldite is way stronger then the epoxy materials available in the U.S.A. I have a Brit friend bring me some every time he comes over.

From the Wikipedia:

In 1983, British advertising agency FCO Univas set up a visual stunt presentation of the strength of Araldite by gluing a yellow Ford Cortina to a billboard on Cromwell Road, London, with the tagline "It also sticks handles to teapots". Later, to demonstrate more of its strength, a red identical Ford Cortina was placed on top of the yellow Cortina, with the tagline "The tension mounts". Finally, the car was removed from the billboard, leaving a hole on the billboard and a tagline "How did we pull it off?".

...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1143 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
E-6000 works great too!
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
"Leach F-26" does a good job on wood to plastic.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1167 Posts

Profile of magic4545
The nice thing about E6000 over everything else is that when the temperature changes, the bond between dissimilar materials will not cause a quick release. It's flexible enough to go with a potential temperature change. Temperature change will ultimately undo most hard, brittle adhesives. I don't think of epoxy as an adhesive as much as a filler or something to fill up areas that need a hard filler. And when Gorilla Glue lets go, it's all or nothing.

Make sure that you're considering the fact that you might be bonding paint to paint. Surface prep is half the battle, or you're back to bonding to a thin layer of paint that might come off way before the adhesive would have.

Jimmy
crochow
View Profile
Regular user
Youngstown, Ohio
129 Posts

Profile of crochow
If you decide on epoxy glue, use the slow setting as it DOES make a much stronger bond than the 5 min. glue. Slower setting also means you have more time to 'adjust' to the correct final placement.
I use serveral various glues in my work... slow setting epoxy is great. Do not apply too thick... less is more in this case.
Magically,

Chris Rochow
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
992 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
I like Liquid Nails Clear for small projects (it stick to anything and remains flexable). Gorilla Gule want give with flexable materalsand it foams (exspans).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Strong plastic to wood glue (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL