The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Okito Floating Ball (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I seem to have fallen into an alternate Universe. I have been trumped by a "thousands of dollars" card played on top of a "years of experience" card. I will take my Christmas trick and go home with tail between legs. Before I leave, however, I will just mention that the decorative garden glass reflective sphere makes a good off-season alternate to a Christmas ornament... in terms of theme... if anyone is interested in providing a reason for this big round thing floating around. A school globe and a beach ball provide other possible themes.

If you want to mess with people's minds regarding weight, try having an onstage assistant roll the ball to you across the floor, while a backstage assistant rolls a bowling ball down a sound box ramp (or just play a recording of same if you can make it sync).

OK, I'm taking what's left of my marbles and leaving the thread now.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
MagicErik
View Profile
Loyal user
Sneek, Netherlands
284 Posts

Profile of MagicErik
Soooooooooooooooow many good answers. And he even didn't say thank you. Maybe his first post was his last as well....
kevin antonis
View Profile
New user
Belgium
2 Posts

Profile of kevin antonis
Hi all,

Thanks all for the many replies and information. Walt has, as he said, pm'ed me a lot of information about this effect and the different versions. Right now I have enough information to know which version is best suited for me.

Again thanks to all for the many, many replies!

@ MagicErik:
Some people doesn't have the time to check everything on the internet every day... Smile

Greetings!
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3495 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Doug, it's the Wayne double system. At times he seems very in sync with his ball, at other time very unconnected to it as the source of magic power.

The backdrop is effective and does it job well, it just looks so LasVegas lounge to me.

The wobble is visible and shows a lack of detail and his helpers getting into position.

I don't believe in 'proving" to an audience, but if you do, Spellbinder's suggestion of a garden ball, or the rolling heavy ball back stage are quite elegant solutions.

I did take his comment personally, as I'm sure he took my reply.
Magically,
Walt
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6824 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow. Walt, I feel bad you and Spellbinder got into a disagreement. I understand how things get messed up with communications, and such. The amount of knowledge here is priceless. I never thought of a school globe! LOL!

The Wayne double system? Oh, OK...then that is the first one described in The Don Wayne Floating Ball instructions.

That is quite a big ball in Eric's demo. That looks much larger than the current Don Wayne ball. Seems Okito used a ball that size, I'm not sure. Here is a video of a little girl doing the Okito:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNDt_zcJHQA

I was sad to see Patricia Duncan no longer performs. Little girls do grow up though! I'm glad we got this one recorded! Priceless!

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 4:57pm
UPDATE:

Patricia's Okito ball starts at 7:15 into her act above.Her practice session is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81QclWVOL8I&feature=related

Nice work!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7392 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Harry Blackstone Jr. used a remote control light up ball for the Earth Wind and Fire project years ago. I don't know if it ever fully worked on the shows. But my recently departed friend, Robert Lambacher, worked on it for Harry.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you can't fight with your friends, what's the good of having them? I think we're both big enough to rap one another's knuckles and get over it.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Kevin do you know what Okito stands for?
It was Bamberg,David Tobias (Theo Leendert) ( 1875-1963)that had come up with this historical name that today remains in the forefront of magic.
Hint it's an island in east asia.

Bamberg was a great swimmer who lost his hearing and began a silent act. Famous in Holland and travelled with Thurston,was known for his chinese shadow show.
Abbott was the creator of the ball that you're talking about.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3495 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Exactly!

He took on the name Okito when he went to a silent Chinese act, it was based upon the then name for Japan, but he decided that a Chinese costume was more theatrical than a Japanese one.

Abbott gave the ball as a gift to Thurston, who did not like and asked Theo if he wanted it, Theo then learned the movements from Abbott and expanded greatly on them, making a world-wide reputation with it.

The only other person he taught, move for move was is son David, who performed in South America as FuManchu.

Walt
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Theo created the name Okito from the city of Tokyo

ps Dad is fine Walt. We miss mom. otherwise lotsa news to share. thx for asking!
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
What I heard was that Okito is a rearrangement of Tokio, which is an alternate spelling for Tokyo, the capital city of Japan.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Yes that is correct mtpascoe
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22734 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The most beautiful ending was by a young magician, can't remember his name. The ball floated above his head, he opened a huge oriental fan, actually a fireplace fan, and raised it above his head hiding the ball. He closed the fan while holding it in front of the ball. The ball was gone. He did this in the middle of the stage. Very beautiful ending to the Floating Ball.
ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
Spellbinder:the other one. Okito's Ball was most certainly not made of plastic!! He tried to make one from a celluloid (think it was sponge) holder but when he attempted to burnish it--it just disintegrated.
I believe the Ball he eventually used was papier mache.
Years ago--around 1975 via Craige Snider I was offered a Ball by Edmund Spreer, complete with pole and he asked a huge amoung of money(then)for it with instruction. I still have the letter. The problem was I had to go to Mexico!!
Eventually my wife made 2 balls and we devised a rig that enabled me to walk onto even a cabaret floor and go straight into the effect.
This and the routine took 12 months. You cannot rush The Ball.
It needs much rehearsal and becomes like a dancer with his ballerina. Total balance between the 2.
My son in Portugal now has the first Ball & a rig and is mastering it.He also has a file on the FB about 3 inches thick--took me years to collect.
Then there are other things to consider--beginning with the LX.
Details of the Okito Ball are to be found in Okito On Magic by Robert Parrish (History of the Ball) and the set up, rig, moves, handling etc in Robert Albo's book--Oriental Magic Of The Bambergs. Then some of the moves and a bit more information are to be found in Robert E Olson's book--Illusion Builder( Edmund Spreer) to Fu Manchu.
Also look at Jean Hugard's FB. in one of his Annual Of Magic 1937--reproduced in Hugard's Magic Monthly with other ideas on the Ball.
BUT to begin with..get hold of any Floating Ball and try it out--in private- See how tricky it is to make it seem to float and just be suspended in the air.
Perhaps as has been said the nearest Ball size wise to Okito's is the Don Wayne FB--if you can find one. Mine went to my closest friend--a young professional magician some 10 years ago

Allen Tipton
UK
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2476 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2011-12-08 18:25, ALLEN TIPTON wrote:
This and the routine took 12 months. You cannot rush The Ball.
It needs much rehearsal and becomes like a dancer with his ballerina. Total balance between the 2.

Wise words, Allen!

I remember it took me just over a year before I got confident enough to perform it. For me, it is not so much magic as puppeteering. I had a background doing marionettes with Sid and Marty Krofft for years and it was the exact same process. You spend hour upon hour with each character until you no longer have to analyze which string to pull and how. At some point you simply "will" life into the character and they respond automatically as it becomes an extension of you.

I remember the first six or seven months with the ball was just trying to gain control and keep it from bouncing and spinning. At some point a magical synchronization takes place when you really began to listen to the ball and what were once gross movements become subconscious automatic micro-corrections. I personally performed the routine for the first time in 1981 at the Playboy Club in Los Angeles. After doing it over 30 years I can only tell you that it is still the most magical feeling on stage as I don't even think about the routine but simply "telling" the ball where I wanted to go and it responds.

To me, THAT is magic!
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Jonathan Pendragon
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Pendragon
And the name Tokyo was created by using the letters in an old capital city, Kyoto.
ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
Sorry guys TYPING error--new spectacles. The name in my post above should have been:
Craige McComb Snader Jr.

Couldn't correct it before as Craige's airmails were in my Floating Ball file which is with my son in Portugal.

I did write up for Mike, a Beginner;s Course on the Ball. Later sent him a DVD showing him all Dad's set up, rig, moves, handlings & the Routine, which he will adapt, as he should, to his own style.
He already has the vital 'prop', made up for him by my friend who was the Senior Lecturer in Engineering, Metal Work etc at one of Nottingham's Universities. The same man who made mine up back in 1975--but in better materials.!!And this friend still does not know what my rig was for!!!!

Allen Tipton
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
Jonathan Pendragon
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

There were a few "original" Okito Floating Balls made. One Is in David Copperfield's collection. I got to hold that one. It was very light as it was made of paper mache and then covered with gold leaf.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2476 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
It was rumored that one of the original balls was covered not with gold leaf but with gold foil off of chocolates. It's such a great story I would love to find out if it was true!
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Jonathan Pendragon
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Ray, I heard that too. The one David had was covered in gold leaf. I can't remember where I heard the story about the chocolate foil, but I know have heard it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Okito Floating Ball (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL