The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Okito Floating Ball (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The story is in "The Oriental Magic of The Bambergs", by Dr. Albo.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
I think Theo also told that story in his book, Okito On Magic.
Jonathan Pendragon
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Pendragon
Thank You David and Michael. I tell you what was amazing about the one in David.s collection, it's weight, like a feather. I remember paper mache from arts and crafts as a child, but what was amazing here was the strength of the wall and yet the light weight.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22728 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It has been reported that Teller of Penn and Teller have done the Abbott Floating Ball to great acclaim. According to the previous posts the Okito Floating Ball was derived from the Abbott version. (Note: No relationship to Abbott's Magic in Colon, Michigan.)

To perform a Floating Ball, back in 1973 an excellent book called "Floating Routines for Table and Stage" was published. It covered the use of the Floating Ball in smaller venues and close-up items as well. It is an excellent text on what is possible in smaller venues besides the huge stage set-ups. It was written by Ralf Wiehmann aka Braco who has marketed 2 floating balls in the last few years. Those that have purchased these thought they were simple self-working tricks. Thus the poor reviews by those that have purchased the items without proper research what a floating ball routine involves.

This book is now out of print but is available for PDF download and also includes Mike Danata's Floating Golden Stick routine. You can find Mike Danata's routine for the stick using a golden large ball on YouTube. Again, this was performed in front of the front curtain on stage. Not using the full stage set up for his wonderful Floating Ball effect.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7392 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Davod P. Abbott showed his floarting ball to Thurston and Okito (who was touring with Thurston at that time). It inspired Okito to develop his own routine.

I also have a good routine by Billy Russell of Batavia, New York. It was published with photos by Donald Holmes of Kansas.

David Ben probably does one of the best if not truest to the Okito routine today.

It is a beautiful effect but it takes the proper staging, lighting and a lot of rehearsal. Thus not many do it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
There is also a description of the floating ball in "The Nixon Manuscript". It is extremely brief. The introduction of this booklet mentions that he (William J. "Doc" Nixon) purchased the entire Okito act and the Okito name. Apparently, he used portions of the act, but never the name.

"Greater Magic" also has a brief description of the floating ball, and labels it as belonging to W.J. Nixon.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22728 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
For your enjoyment, here is Mike Danata's Floating Golden Stick routine performed with a ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdVJeGTjt3o
Jonathan Pendragon
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Pendragon
Although it has been mentioned before, it bears repeating: Magic with Small Apparatus. The floating candle rig is what Doug Henning used for his floating ball routine. It's and elaborate rig compared to most other methods and not always practical, but movement it allows is amazing.
mikefallen
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of mikefallen
Jonathan is right. Doug`s floating candle rig is on magic with small apparatus. An old book I suppose but the rig is intersting... I wonder of combined with another, couldn`t produce something more... hum
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Okito Floating Ball (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL