The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Broken Wand :: Carl Melish a.k.a. Polaris (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Steampunk Magician
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
11 Posts

Profile of Steampunk Magician
R.I.P. Carl Melish a.k.a. Polaris

I just recieved word that one of my closest friends in magic passed away this week. Carl Melish known by his performing name Polaris died this week of a heart attack triggered by an asthma attack as he left the restuarant bar where he was performing. Carl was a fixture of the New York city magic community. He had been a good freind, performing partner and mentor. I will miss him beyond what I can describe.
Stmarkus
View Profile
Regular user
Puerto Rico
131 Posts

Profile of Stmarkus
Thanks Steampunk.....I didn't know where to post this....He was my best friend, and I too, will miss him more than mere words can describe...To know Carl, was to know laughter, joy, and magic....He was a truly gentle soul, and an amazingly warm hearted human being....The world will seem a little less magical without him....
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
I can't believe it ...he was one of the first magicians I met in NYC ...
I spend a lot of time with him.....RIP Polaris !!
Your ring flight you made me has a whole new meaning !
magicdusa
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of magicdusa
I just can't wrap my head around the fact that Carl is gone. When I came to NYC in the eighties he was an inspiration and a Mentor to me in my early days of magic. I met him earlier this year on Bleecker and Thompson Street. He was doing a street performance. When he finished I complimented his floating spinning light routine. He not only gave me the floating light and some invisible thread but spent about 15 minutes teaching me some of his moves and subtleties. He was a really cool guy and he'll be missed so much by his friends in the magic community. You may be gone Carl but not forgotten. Rest in Peace ol pal of mine.
David M. Cremin
dcreminnyc@gmail.com
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Carl was well know in New York magic circles and I don't know anyone who ever had a bad word to say about him. His laugh was contageous. We will miss you Polaris!
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
Yes, he was extemely friendly and fun to be around. Very sad news indeed, that makes 3 NY magicians gone. Crazy.
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
326 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
So sad. Carl was always so open to share his wonderful ideas. I spent some time with him again recently after a lecture and we had a good time catching up over a meal and recounting old stories. He will be missed by so many. Thanks for the guidance in the early years.
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
389 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Any word on a Funeral or Fund? I'm gonna miss him dearly.
Stmarkus
View Profile
Regular user
Puerto Rico
131 Posts

Profile of Stmarkus
Funeral arrangements and information regarding donations will be forthcoming....
Stmarkus
View Profile
Regular user
Puerto Rico
131 Posts

Profile of Stmarkus
Funeral arrangements are still in the process of being made, however if anyone would like information regarding donations, please contact either myself, Mark Stitz at Stmarkus999@aol.com.....Or Thomas Solomon
at info@thomassolomon.com.

Thanks
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
Please keep us posted !! I Still can't believe he is gone .
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
It really broke my heart to read this post.the reason that today I am a magician is because of Polaris,i met him at webster hall one night as he was performing for a bunch of people and he was flooring everyone including me, I got hooked with magic that nite and the following week I went to the old tannen's and after he finished work,he gave me a 2hrs lesson....

RIP my friend, you will be miss.

Mano Tejeda
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
This news broke my heart. I spent some good times with Polaris performing at the Piedmont Arts Festival in Atlanta Ga many years ago. We shared a room one weekend for a magic convention and had a great time. He was passionate about this art form and extremely creative. He is going to be missed.

Charlie
Carl Skenes
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Carl Skenes
I, too, first met Polaris while street-performing at the Piedmont Arts Festival in Atlanta, GA over 20 years ago. I remember that he had the slickest, most entertaining and longest silk routine with a tip that I have ever seen. His other magic was just as good. He always had a smile on him, just like his audiences. He will be missed.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Carl was one of the first coin magicians I met, back in the 70's in New york. I will never forget his excitement and my astonishment, when he performed his 3 O'Clock Nip, which he had put into Apocalypse. In his hands it was a miracle, and looked like real magic. I had seen Carl over the years, but not for a long time. This is sad news, indeed. R.I.P., old friend.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
326 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
Any news of a memorial service?
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Quote:
On 2010-11-14 15:07, Doug McKenzie wrote:
Any news of a memorial service?

Please let us know as soon as you know.

Thanks.
Stmarkus
View Profile
Regular user
Puerto Rico
131 Posts

Profile of Stmarkus
Funeral and memorial arrangements are still in the works...I'll post as soon as it's been worked out...

Thanks...
Steampunk Magician
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
11 Posts

Profile of Steampunk Magician
Video of Polaris peforming at Dewey's Flatiron:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mostIpg9ivI
Stmarkus
View Profile
Regular user
Puerto Rico
131 Posts

Profile of Stmarkus
Funeral Arrangements for Polaris are as follows:

Sunday November 21 (this Sunday) 10:30 AM -12:30 PM
at Greenwich Village Funeral Home
199 Bleeker Street (Between McDougal and 6th Ave)
NYC

Again, for information regarding donations please contact Mark Stitz at Stmarkus999@aol.com or
Thomas Solomon at info@thomassolomon.com

Thank You
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Broken Wand :: Carl Melish a.k.a. Polaris (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL