The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Seeking advice for the best coin bending effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rozzerdog
View Profile
New user
California
20 Posts

Profile of Rozzerdog
Greetings fellow Magicians,

I am in desperate need for some help and advice about which coin bending effect that is the most visual and without switching out for an already bent coin. So far, there have been two coin bending effects that I have been trying to do as much research as possible, since they're very expensive. The first one I was looking into purchasing was the Quantum Bender 2.0 by John T. Sheets, then the other is the Terminator Coin Bending Wallet by R. Paul Wilson and Joe Porper.

Since I have been working really hard to make a living by performing Magic, I want to make sure that the coin bending effect I choose to purchase will hopefully last me a lifetime. As well as be the most amazing and clean coin bending effect, because I have read that an effect where by borrowing a spectators coin, have them sign it and then bend it, is almost a sure fire way to be remembered and also help with possible future bookings.

I do realize that it will take more than that to truly make a name for myself and to also use it to help me make a living. Hard work and dedication to our art form is the key behind that goal I have set for myself, but I'm sure it can help me at least!

Sorry for rambling, so I'll end my question to you all here, and I hope to hear back from someone who can recognize what it is I am seeking, and hopefully help me in suggesting what coin bending effect would be the perfect one for me to purchase.

Thanks again in advance, take care.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Past research on this topic leads me to believe that Quantum Bender is the hands down favorite.
Rozzerdog
View Profile
New user
California
20 Posts

Profile of Rozzerdog
Thank you for responding to my question jimhlou, I greatly appreciate it.

I just wish I could find an online magic store that sells the Quantum Bender 2.0 just a little bit cheaper than $500.00, than at the one online magic store I have purchased from for over quite a few years.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope there might be a place out there that can do that.

Anyways, thanks again.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Sandusky, OH
958 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Hey Rozzer,

Are you new to magic, or new to doing it as a living? I only ask since this is in the "new to magic" forum. If you're new to magic, I recommend other things to help potential clients remember you. For example, "The Magic of Michael Ammar" has a very commercial handling of the pencil through coin (which Michael does for trade shows), whereby you could leave the potential client with a pencil stuck through a coin, with your name and telephone number on the pencil. This is also very memorable, and would not cost you $500 (even with an order of custom pencils). Just suggesting alternatives to the bending coin since it sounds like the main reason you like this effect is for it's booking ability.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.psychiccpa.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi Rozzer! Welcome to the Magic Café!

Quantum Bender 2.0 is really the way to go here. Unless you find it used, that, I'm afraid, is the price ya pay for it. Many professionals swear by it. It's way out of my price range, and there are other alternatives. Really though, for what you want, I don't know of anything else. Smile

Doug
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
TOOSH packs quite a punch and leaves them holding your business card as a souvenir.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
"TOOSH"??

Ed

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 3:00pm
Does this look any good to you?
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/games/......n%20bend

Ed
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-11-08 14:59, Ed_Millis wrote:
"TOOSH"??

Ed

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=218&60

Quote:
On 2010-11-08 15:00, Ed_Millis wrote:
Does this look any good to you?
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/games/......n%20bend

Ed

There was a bit of a visual and audible click, other then that it looked fine.

For $12.00 how bad could it be to be not worth it? Smile

OTOH at $12.00 probably every kid and his baby brother is gonna be bending coins soon so maybe you want to find something else to do Smile
Rozzerdog
View Profile
New user
California
20 Posts

Profile of Rozzerdog
Quote:
On 2010-11-08 08:36, Dr. JK wrote:
Hey Rozzer,

Are you new to magic, or new to doing it as a living? I only ask since this is in the "new to magic" forum. If you're new to magic, I recommend other things to help potential clients remember you. For example, "The Magic of Michael Ammar" has a very commercial handling of the pencil through coin (which Michael does for trade shows), whereby you could leave the potential client with a pencil stuck through a coin, with your name and telephone number on the pencil. This is also very memorable, and would not cost you $500 (even with an order of custom pencils). Just suggesting alternatives to the bending coin since it sounds like the main reason you like this effect is for it's booking ability.

Thanks for responding to my post Dr. JK, I really appreciate all the help I can get.
I have been an amateur magician for about 2 years now, and have mostly been performing at family and friend gatherings, my local pool hall, the park and just about everywhere else that I has really helped me develop my character and grow as a magician to take what I've learned and apply it to become a working professional. I definitely want to work as hard and best I can so I can start to make a living performing close-up and Mentalism as well.

Over the past 2 years or so, I have slowly yet steadily started to really understand what material I love perform, as well as the magic material that all of the audiences have really let me know what they love as well. I also have the Toosh effect by Steve Haynes, along with quite a few of the other great effects that were released this year. Including Biokinesis by Berk Eratay and Smoke from Alan Rorrison to help add more of a theatrical presence to my current effects and routines.

After going through my collection of effects that have all served me so well as I slowly grow as a magic artist, there has been one effect I always wanted to perform and that would be bending a borrowed and signed coin from my spectators. From my personal performing style, I love being as openly fair as possible with my effects which is why I never really cared for other coin bending effects where you switch the coin out for an already pre-bent coin.

With all that having been said, I am grateful everyone has responded to my post because it has now allowed me to openly share with everyone here, as to what kind of magic performer I am, and the one that I hope to someday become. I do apologize for rambling though, but I hope I was able to convey properly what it is I am ultimately looking to pursue and become with the generous and honest help everyone has already so kindly shown me.

I hope it can be safe to say that I should continue to save up for the Quantum Bender 2.0 and ultimately purchase that particular coin bending effect, as opposed to the other and more expensive coin bending effect, the Terminator coin bend by R. Paul Wilson and Joe Porper.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, tips or ideas about anything I have conveyed interest in with my post, I would greatly appreciate that just as well.

Thanks again everyone, take care.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
When you get 50 posts, you can probably buy QB2 from someone here on the Café. They usually go for around $300.

Jim
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I don't know what the comparative advantages/disadvantages are, but Penn's Coinvexed II is about 1/3 the price (new)...

http://www.worldmagicstore.com/coinvexed......upohufg0
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I don't either, but I do know that Coinvexed II is a real worker- love it...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Seeking advice for the best coin bending effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL