The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Advice needed: manipulation act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

patrickske
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of patrickske
Hi everyone,

Iam working on a new manipulation act. I got the first part (the cards) covered. Need to change some moves and need to work on my steals.. Ive noticed in the act I had some cards in the wrong direction, so Iam aware of that. didn't want to make a new video since the camera was a pain in the ass.

After the cards I want to go in short candle routine. After that the candle comes a ball and Ill go in a ball routine. don't know how to end the routine.

So has anyone got some tips/advice on my act?

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siE48S9lOa4

Remember, its not the final act.. Just a practice video.

Patrick
Magic Creates Life
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I would make an effort to bring diversity into the act.

There is an element of monotony which causes stagnation in terms of the experience your audience would have. I believe there were 9 split fan productions in this video. And this was the only card manipulation constituent save for your vanish.

Watch your video. In an effort to make your splits deceptive you have taken the road of using a large motion to cover a smaller one. But your movement is quite rapid, and it actually scatters consciousness breaking continuity causing a rocky texture. Weather your a fast or slow performer, you should aim generally to have your movements flow like water does, saving the abrupt movements to accentuate yourself as a canvas, and direct attention where you need it.

You can look into the book, 'Ed Marlo, Card Fan Productions' for alternate perspectives on the card fanning manipulation.

I believe these points present themselves with practice. It really is a long and arduous journey to structure and breath life into a manipulation act. It takes years. But in the end it will enrich your life and give it meaning.

I look forward to your progress.

Warmest regards.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Even in practice, one should strive to perform the moves correctly. It seems you do not understand the concept of "producting cards from the air". You are just making fans and throwing them away. You should study the concept of the moves you are trying to accomplish. Don't put a card in your mouth unless it is for a purpose, to just throw it out after several minutes does not make any sense. I know a guy on YouTube done this, but he is also wrong in his thinking. Don't throw things at the audience, like your card box. Why have a card box at all, if you are not going to make it vanish.

Why are you pulling things out of your tight cloths pockets, and not stealing them, could it be you did not consider your costume. While on costume, I would cover your belly button, as it does not look good.

Why are you pacing back and forth without purpose. If you move stage right you should do something at stage right. Not just turn around and pace in another direction. Why are you not standing up straight with feet together, the crouched stance with legs spread is okay one time, but not all the time. Do not stand sideways to the audience, stand faceing the audience. Have the audience will only see your back.

Hope some of these comments gave you food for thought and will encourage you to take a look at your showmanship and stage presence, not to mention working on your card productions.
patrickske
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of patrickske
Thanks for the advice so far! Really good ones! I will do something with those! Iam going to keep on practicing and use the advice.

Patrick
Magic Creates Life
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I'm not sure I understand the point of placing a card in your mouth and keeping it there for so long. It has no _raison d'etre_ that I can see. When you produce fans and cards singly, your hands just drop them to the floor, so I don't see any reason at all to place a card in your mouth. I think the audience would be distracted (if not disturbed) by that.

Now I know that there are performers who build acts around producing balls and such from their mouths, but all of them present that as a comedy effect--like producing a mouth coil, and the comedy presentation lends it a quasi-slapstick air, which justifies such an effect. And those performers don't keep the balls there. They immediately remove the annoying ball or whatever and dispose of it. In addition, the balls in most acts aren't _placed_ there on purpose. They appear there to the annoyance and/or surprise of the performer and are promptly removed.

I also second, third and fourth the motion about covering the navel. Some (if not most) cultures would find it a breach of etiquette/manners.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I would add that I liked your outfit - however, you should produce the cards face out. At one point you're producing cards with your left hand but the back of them is facing the audience; a red-backed card against red wardrobe doesn't show up well. I would echo what others said about throwing things. Have the cards in a position to steal them rather than trying to get to the card box. I would suggest having a place to ditch the cane as well, rather than just throwing it off stage.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It seems all the above post cover it all. If you not have Jeff McBride's Magic On Stage DVDs, I would recommend you do. Levent also has a stage manipulation act DVD.
patrickske
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of patrickske
Already own the DVD's of Jeff McBride. They are great.

Ive got some really great advice given. And Iam going to work on it! Really want to improve my act. Thanks everyone so far!

Patrick
Magic Creates Life
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Advice needed: manipulation act (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL