The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » All By My Selves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4204 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I am really enjoying reading "All By My Selves" the Jeff Dunham biography. I caught Jeff at a book signing and he and Walter killed. His book is genuinely funny and very entertaining...particularly the bits written by Walter, Peanut and Achmed.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
My copy came the day I left for road shows. Can't wait to get back home so I can read it!
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
H0ow do you guys like the book?

I will have the good fortune to see Jeff's show in Montreal on Dec. 12th. Can't wait.

I wonder if I should get the book in advance, or wait to purchase it at the show. By purchasing it at the show (or at a local bookstore in Montreal --if the have them), international shipping charges to Canada can be avoided.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
I'm a little over half way through it, and I'm enjoying it tremendously. I intend to post a review here after I'm done.

Oh, and I scored 8th row center seats to see Jeff 1/2/11 here on Long Island.

Bwaaaahaaaahaaaahaaaahaaaa!

B
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Quote:
On 2010-11-18 09:07, Bob Baker wrote:
"...Oh, and I scored 8th row center seats to see Jeff 1/2/11 here on Long Island.

Bwaaaahaaaahaaaahaaaahaaaa!

B

Jlevey wrote:

I have tickets that will put me "on stage" !
...HeeHeeeHeeHeee... Bwaaaahaaaahaaaahaaaahaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jonathan
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Bought Jeff's latest book off amazon.com. $14.99 plus $11 to ship expedited.

So for $26 it's less costly than the bookstores in Canada sell it for ($32) and they are not in stock in the Montreal stores!

I look forward to reading it, before his show on Dec. 12th, if I receive it in time.

Jonathan
Jonathan
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Just saw a video from one of Jeff's book signings. He mentioned that he just finished a new figure. Apparently Achmed now has a son!

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Just finished buying and reading the book. It's a really good read and it humanizes him nicely.
Some of the grumbles people have had (Walter's design, etc) are explained without being confrontive.
Really added to my respect of Jeff. He's more than paid his dues.
The only problem I have with the book is that it's such a fast read, it's over way too soon.

-Philip
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
(I feel a little guilty, because I was going to buy it at Amazon through Vent Central, thinking that maybe there'd be some kickback over there...but then I saw it on the shelf in the local B&N, and HAD to buy it. I should probably go over to Vent Central and buy something else just to make up for it.)

-Philip
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Here's a little review of the book. I'd be interested in others' thoughts as well.

Bob

Unlike some of you, I do not know Jeff Dunham. So when I first became aware of him in 2005 with the release of “Arguing With Myself,” it seemed to me that he burst on the scene “out of nowhere.” I didn’t know where he’d been up until then. After reading his new autobiography, “All By My Selves,” I feel like I know him and I sure know where he’s been.

The book is a chronicle of Jeff’s life in ventriloquism, starting with shows as a kid and tracing his career through decades on the road playing hundreds—nay, thousands—of club dates to comedy superstardom. There were many stops along the way. For instance we follow him on his quest to be on “The Tonight Show” with Johnny Carson. Carson’s booker rejected Jeff many times before he felt that Jeff was “ready.” As the booker put it, if you’re going to be on Carson, it’s better to be 5 years late than one day early.

With the Carson episode, as with many others, Jeff gives us the backstage story. His description of his first appearance on Carson is so involving that I actually found my own heart pounding as Jeff was waiting behind the curtain to go on. There are many such inside accounts throughout the book. For instance, who knew that Jeff was devastated after his appearance on Letterman’s “Ventriloquist Week?”

As with anyone’s career in anything, Jeff’s show business career has had its triumphs and its defeats. I found him to be forthright in discussing both. It hasn’t all been a bed of roses. Jeff also addresses some issues which are very painful for him (his divorce, for instance), and I admire him for his frankness. I also know that there have been some controversies in Jeff’s career (the birth of Walter, for instance), and he writes about these as well. There are some who would disagree with Jeff’s take on these, but he presents his case forthrightly, and I’ll leave the disagreement to those who were actually involved.

A literary device which is unique to “My Selves” is interspersed comments by Jeff’s characters. I found these interruptions to be amusing and annoying in equal measure. But Walter, Peanut, Achmed, and Bubba J are so integral to Jeff’s career, that the book would be missing something if they weren’t in there. I did enjoy Jeff’s descriptions of the inspiration and development of these characters, and I was motivated to work harder on mine.

I cannot imagine anyone who loves ventriloquism not enjoying this book. It is the tale of a talented guy who, with drive, determination, patience, creativity, a bit of luck, and decades of plain old hard work reached the pinnacle of show business. Read it, learn from it, laugh with it, be inspired by it.
ljlvent
View Profile
New user
iowa
95 Posts

Profile of ljlvent
I, too, appreciated his honesty and forthrightness in the book. I enjoyed it greatly! I agree that every ventriloquist should LOVE reading the book!
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I already received my copy from Amazon and am starting to read it. Easy reading, pleasure to read, fun to read, enjoyable to read. Informative too. Smile

Jonathan
Jonathan
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
I didn't know about this book, looked at it on Amazon, sure is getting some great reviews there as well.
Needless to say, it's on my Christmas list.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4204 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Okay...I only had my iphone but I will share this short video unlisted via Youtube ONLY for you folks. Then destroy it.

Borders Book Store Columbus Circle NYC
I am there because I live 2 blocks away.

Suddenly Walter inquires about Jeff's Divorce.

So HERE is what momentarily felt like a genuine awkward moment between Walter and Jeff (which of course is ridiculous ) but was really an example of a beautifully scripted smooth segue into audience questions before a book signing.
Jeff is nothing if not smooth.
Genius really.

Best seen in HD Full screen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzHCCaLBUyw

I had never seen him work live in person before and I was very impressed. The fans that showed up for him were big time FANS. They owned the teeshirts and brought out the character dolls. I was indeed impressed by the hoopla.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Eddie,
Thanks for sharing that. Jeff performed and discussed that routine at VentHaven last summer. It is a brilliant set up for some very funny material that breaks the tension. He certainly deserves the fame and recognition he has achieved. And the book is great too!
Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

IanARalph
View Profile
New user
Central Mass, USA
31 Posts

Profile of IanARalph
It really is an awesome book. Thanks for sharing that Eddie.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Thanks Eddie...for sharing...
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
That was terrific! A beautiful set-up that really showed Jeff's humanity as well.

My thanks, too, for sharing.

Bob
Vegasvent
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix
288 Posts

Profile of Vegasvent
Thank you Eddie!!
Magical Phil-Kidzshow, LLC

"My Wife says that either all of my Stuff goes, or she does......" "Boy, I'm sure gonna miss her cookin'."
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Thumbed through the book today at the airport book store...looks great...but I left it on the self,. I think I'm getting it as a gift this year. If I don't, I'll be picking it up December 26th...

Ken
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » All By My Selves (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL