We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Presto Chango? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
I was flipping through Bobo's the other day and found that I had completely forgot that Presto Chango even existed. I really like the concept, and want to see what else I can do with the concept. I know Roth has a version on his Ultimate Coin Magic set, but are there any other notable handlings?
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Johnny Thompson has a nice version that leads into a c/s transposition in the spectator's hands.

Cheers,
Jerry
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
588 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
Mike Gallo has a really neat handling on volume 4 of New York Coin Magic Seminar DVD's. It's called The One Dollar Trick.
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Citation Silver.
Paul Cummins handling of Bob Elliots routine.
Can be found on Pauls DVD, Up in Smoke.
My personal favorite.
Thanks to Dan Watkins for pointing it out on his website.
Jim
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Thanks for the replies! I'm looking into all three right now.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
This is a great little trick, even as it's written up in Bobo's. This was the first thing I learned when I got my first C/S. Easy to do, yet appears like a real miracle. Everything examinable at the end too.
Kevin Gardner
View Profile
Regular user
Richboro, PA
177 Posts

Profile of Kevin Gardner
Roth's version has a nice clean up at the end, both coins are given to the spectator for inspection.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2010-11-09 02:07, sleightofhander wrote:
Mike Gallo has a really neat handling on volume 4 of New York Coin Magic Seminar DVD's. It's called The One Dollar Trick.

Mike Gallo's handling is also the one that deceives me the most. His handling of the Bobo Switch is without peer and a lesson in itself.

David Roth subtlety should not be opposed to Mike Gallo's performance: smart magicians don't try and express definitive judgments, they learn and combine the best discoveries from various masters into an even more magical experience.

Cleaning up at the end could involve Vernon's Change Over Palm: the two coins are in the left palm, give the first one to a spectator for examination, then take the other one (doing the Vernon's Change Over Palm) and flip it in your right palm up hand to offer it for examination to a second spectator (this subtly "proves" that there is no other coin involved).
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Interesting thought, Lawrence. The thing putting me off from Gallo's version was that you're dirty all throughout.
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
588 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
I've adapted it for stand up and a clean up at the end. Spectators are to busy trying to watch silver coins change to copper.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8884 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I was somewhat thinking of Presto Chango when I was developing my new JumpMandu. Love the old effect but I changed a few things as to it, added some good things into the mix and smoothed it out so there's no more of the "throwing" stuff and it appears cleaner & smoother. Smile I think the magic the specs see now with this is nowhere as choppy and a lot more visual and amazing. Stay Tuned! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I like Mike Gallo's switch in "The One Dollar Change". I just watched that again after reading this to refresh my mind on his handling of the Bobo Switch. (So much stuff on the NYCMS DVD's if you have all or most of the volumes; I re-watch some and don’t even remember seeing some of the effects the first time around!).

The Bobo Switch has always been troublesome for me; other supposedly more complex moves have been much easier for me to master. Once I make the toss I feel like the now-dirty hand is glaringly obvious because I have to get the coin into a better position, though I know darn well that attention is on the other hand and I shouldn’t feel this "guilt". But it still manages to make me feel uncomfortable every time I use it.

Thank you.

Jim
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8884 Posts

Profile of Mb217
J, I must've missed coming back here for a while but as to the Bobo Switch, as you make the switch try sliding the coin at the fingertips back into FP as you make the toss, so it automatically goes into that position. Of course the attention as you say will be on the other hand but perhaps you would feel more comfortable with the hidden coin now more totally out of view and no fishy moves to get it there. Not hard from there to even CP the coin if you like upon larger movements. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Mike Skinner's routine appeared in Genii. He used this quite a bit, and was a master of making it look like magic.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
MB. that is pretty much what I have always done, but sometimes the moves don’t quite occur simultaneously. When they do, every now and then the coins nick each other giving the absolute worst telltale clink you can imagine!

Thanks!

Jim
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2011-01-27 19:13, Curtis Kam wrote:
Mike Skinner's routine appeared in Genii. He used this quite a bit, and was a master of making it look like magic.

Thank you Curtis.

I found it in the November 2000 issue, the one with two photos of Mike Skinner on the front: younger and older.

Thanks again!

Jim
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-01-27 19:13, Curtis Kam wrote:

Yes he did and it's a very good handling of it as well. One that I have been using for a very long time. It was also explained on one of the Skinner VHS tapes that Houdini's Magic Shop put out in the early part of the last decade.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Marion Boykin has a great little routine coming out soon that compliments Presto Chango perfectly. It's more visual and will work well as a follow up. Definitely one to watch out for.

Kind regards
Sean

PS Its called Jump Mandu...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Presto Chango? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL