We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » RED HEAVY LOAD BALL - by RNT2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
When my Mom was around 80 she crocheted ball covers for me.

Trivia question. How many of you know what a "darning" needle is and what it was used for?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
I guess that I am old enough to know… but I just buy new socks.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Quote:
On 2010-11-10 12:29, ekins wrote:
I keep picturing an 80 year old lady sitting in a rocking chair in the corner of her living room crocheting around a snooker ball.

The "granny sweatshop" makes a good living doing this for me!
ekins
View Profile
Elite user
Portland, Oregon
479 Posts

Profile of ekins
I wasn't implying anything was wrong with this. Just kind of a funny picture I kept envisioning whenever I looked at those balls. I think it's great someone can make some money doing something they enjoy. At least from a magic perspective, it's a lot better than crocheting a new set of doilies. Smile
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1472 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
I'm old enough to know too Bruce.

I never wear socks, not often anyway.
"But there isn't a door"
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Quote:
On 2010-11-10 16:47, ekins wrote:
I wasn't implying anything was wrong with this. Just kind of a funny picture I kept envisioning whenever I looked at those balls. I think it's great someone can make some money doing something they enjoy. At least from a magic perspective, it's a lot better than crocheting a new set of doilies. Smile

I didn't think you were criticizing.
We actually do refer to the crocheters as the "granny sweatshop" around here.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-11-09 23:39, Bill Palmer wrote:
I have to thank Donnie Buckley for what he has done with RnT II. Some of his ideas have been fairly radical, for example, the introduction of Argentum Silver into the world of cups and balls. Well, maybe not radical, but at least innovative.

I purchased a set of these almost exactly a year ago. Most of my solid silver and silver plated cups are stored in plastic containers that isolate them from the effects of Houston air. I have simply kept these in their drawstring bag, and as of five minutes ago, the amount of tarnish was minimal.

That was a great idea, Donnie!

I realize that it is considered somewhat self-aggrandizing to quote yourself; however, I'm doing this for reasons of context. I have been moving a bunch of my cups around. The new display will be much more open. When I brought some of my normal silver-plated cups out of their drawstring bags, they were very badly tarnished. The Argentum silver cups are still relatively unscathed.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Sometimes a strip of treated paper is packed with new silver flatware tp prevent tarnish.
Wonder what the chemical is?

If you quote yourself often, eventually you don't need to say as much.
(I'll post this quote again later) Smile
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I use 3M Anti-tarnish strips which last about 6 months before they need to be replaced. They are impregnated with activated carbon which absorbs the sulfides in the air which cause metal to tarnish especially silver. The strips are about 75 cents each. No other chemicals are in them. They will treat an enclosed volume of 1 cubic foot. I place one of these strips in a small glass display case for my Sherwood silver engraved cups.

Larry
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Larry,

Thanks for the tip. I don't think I'll need it for my silver cups. I have several copper sets that are really tarnished. I never use them.

KG
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's a good idea, Larry. There is some anti-tarnish cloth that can be purchased by the yard that can be cut into strips and used the same way.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2662 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Bill - are there photos in the museum of your collection in addition to individual sets? It would be interesting to see all of those cups set up!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
782 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
Donnie and Bill, thank you for bringing these heavy load balls to the market. I just received one today and it's great. This is going to make a huge difference.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This probably as good a place as any to tell you what's going to happen in the immediate future for the Museum.

Many of you already know that I got remarried. Julie is a wonderful woman with a sense of humor and biting wit to match me word for word. My mother always told me that I should marry a doctor. Julie's a veterinarian. This is appropriate, because I'm an old dog and she knows how to take care of me. She was one of my guitar students about 40 years ago. We just got through with a four week tour of Europe, seeing the sights and dodging the drizzle. The bad weather did not put a damper on our marriage.

We are getting ready to move house and merge households. So we need to find room for 2000 sets of cups, and several automobiles, as well as a menagerie.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1472 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Wonderful to hear from you again Bill.
I am so pleased that everything is going well for you two.

God bless both,
Tom
"But there isn't a door"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » RED HEAVY LOAD BALL - by RNT2 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL