We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Crazy Thumbtip Impromptu Magic! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
A TT is easy to carry and the rubber ones can be sat upon without ruining them. What would an original routine be for a TT, magic's most under estimated gimmick?

Reach up and pluck a leaf from a tree and say, "If you can't see the beauty in a leaf then I doubt you will ever discover the beauty within yourself." (the leaf cries!)
Have you ever seen a leaf transpire? It's unbe'leaf'able! (Add a little water from a fountain, a puddle, softdrink, etc to tt.)

Borrow a bill, preferably a Canadian one, for they're more colourful, not worth much,
but at least colourful. Talk about fine silk threads woven into each bill as you wrap the bill around the tt. Produce a silk streamer from the bill. (I got this idea from Peter Marucci.) Any more weird ideas out there?
Darryl the Wizard Smile
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
Love the presentation!

How about this...sneak a mint from the restaurant (if that's where you are). Perform sugar packet to peppermint. Hand it to a sweet girl, or simply enjoy yourself!

Also in a bar situation I've thought of doing sugar to cherry...a little sexier?

All the best!
:sun:
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
758 Posts

Profile of leondo
Darryl,

I love your thinking.

You need to read Gary Darwin. He has written more on the TT than anybody who ever lived. I'm proud to say I know him. He is a magical genius. He has one of the largest magical libraries on earth.

He has helped about every great (and not so great) magician around just because they asked.

Don't miss his TT writings,
Ted (Leondo)
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Leondo,
I have read the Gary Darwin tt books and they're excellent. I met him in Vegas at one of the magic shops. You're right....he's a genius!
Darryl the Wizard Smile
DarryltheWizard
Warren Peace
View Profile
New user
Dallas
19 Posts

Profile of Warren Peace
Hmmm, upon reading Darryl the Wizards post I started thinking of a new twist to the way I have been presenting the silk from dollar bill... please tell me what you think.

You get a dollar bill from a spectator and have it passed around to note the somber expression on old George's face... you explain that he is sad because he doesn't get to perform magic anymore... would the spectators like to see the presidents favorite trick? You explain further that the president was especially fond of making a red silk appear from no-where (produce silk) do a few bits of funny business, and return the silk to the president with a thank you and applause (for Washington of course) then upon returning the bill it is seen that George is smiling and has a little red silk (drawn in marker) in his lapel.

Please don't bash me with "that is already in 32 books and 17 videos" I'm not claiming to have come up with anything new... just new to me. So what do you all think?
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Warren Peace,
I think your routine is excellent. The red silk in Washington's pocket is a nice touch. If and when we get Trudeau on our bills, it would have to be a red rose in the pocket of course.

Darryl the Wizard Smile

P.S. I am Canadian! I just thought of another idea with our new five dollar Canadian bill, the one with the hockey scene on the back. A folding loonie could be produced from the rolled up bill and then when the bill is opened, a small circular piece of gold foil could be found on the ice. It would remind people of the loonie put under the ice surface in the Olympic Hockey game between Canada and the U.S. I am not recommending this version of the effect for American Magicians unless you hate hockey.
Darryl the Wizard
DarryltheWizard
hon.,max somerset
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of hon.,max somerset
This thing about rolling up your currency note and pouring out something pertinant, first from the American gentleman then the Canadian gentleman is of course a shaggy dog story that could apply to a whole routine with 3 or 4 notes of different currencies and thumb tips stolen and emptied under the mis-direction of each subsequent revelation. Myself, being British, would have to end it all by turing a rolled £10 note upside down and whoops... gravity makes her majesty's crown fall off.... she's not amused!!
The Honerable Maximilian Somerset Dei Tolomei preceedes two of the oldest Aristocratic Italian and English families,namely the Beauforts and the Dei Tolomei families converge in him.
Elwood
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of Elwood
Someone elsewhere in the Café suggested beer into rolled up note, with beer mat underneath, remove the mat, pour out beer, unroll note, and I can confirm that this is a real slayer!

Thanks, whoever you are!!! Smile
ben creitz
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of ben creitz
You can use the TT to switch 2 little rubberbands for one big one (or vice versa), and then perform the transformation later in your routine using a Dan Harlan move or something. I put one doubled-up band around my T, then I put the TT over it. During the routine, I take 2 little rubberbands, I say,
"I'll put these here for now," placing them around the T (which is actually the TT). I do some other trick, and steal and pocket the TT at the appropriate time. That leaves me clean to do a Harlan move like splitting them or joining them.
openatlast
View Profile
New user
Shadow of the Castle
74 Posts

Profile of openatlast
I don't know where I read this, but it sounds cool:

Tear open a pack of sugar & pour into your fist. Take a dime and drop it in your fist as well. Then stuff the sugar wrapper in.

After the build up, open your hand revealing the sugar packet restored. Tear it open pouring out the sugar and the dime.
troublewit
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of troublewit
Warren Peace.. I enjoyed reading your presentation.. Since you start with the patter about "somber George", have you considered adding the two little creases which cause George's face to alternate between smiles and frowns? This looks even better with the newer bills with large faces.

I use this bit often with a borrowed bill.. it gets a great reaction. The creases are explained well in Folding Money Fooling Book.. I don't fold the bill into a small square though, just the 2 creases.. it takes less than 10 seconds. By the way, in your presentation, I can follow the silk from bill part, but is a 2nd tt required for the bill switch? Help me out.. this looks like fun. Thanks
Derek P. Moore
View Profile
New user
Kansas City
53 Posts

Profile of Derek P. Moore
Here's what I like to do with my thumbtip:

I don't smoke, but several of my friends do. When they're all smoking and I happen to have my thumbtip on me, I'll bum a cigarette. They'll usually say, "But you don't smoke." And I'll say, "I know, I just want one." And I'll sit there and smoke it while we converse. When I get down to a half way or less (or any point where I'm ready to put the cigarette out), I'll do a number of things, depending upon how I'm feeling.

Sometimes, I'll contribute to the conversation in a lengthy and intellectual manner (I'm known for this, regardless of my magic), therefore all eyes will be on me. As I'm talking and people are looking at me, I'll just nonchalantly put the cigarette out in my hand without bringing any attention to it. Most people will see this and freak out. I think the effect is enhanced by not bringing any attention to your putting out of the cigarette, it makes the whole event much more unexpected.

Sometimes, if I can't think of anything to contribute to the conversation, I'll say something like, "These things are disgusting, I don't understand how you guys can be smokers." Then, again, just put the cigarette out in your hand and make it vanish. More people will experience the effect this creates because you called attention to the cigarette being gross.

Sometimes, I'll contribute something lame to a conversation, stop in the middle of what I'm saying and say, "Hold on, wait, what's this." I'll put my hand under the person-next-to-me's shirt and push some of this down into my fist, I'll steal their cigarette and put it out in their shirt. Now you've called lots of attention to what you're doing, and everyone can enjoy the spontaneous effect you've just created.

Anyways, putting out a cigarette in your thumbtip and making it vanish without burning yourself or something else is nothing new. Just approach the whole thing in a unique and unexpected way and the same-old almost turns into something completely new.
All my posts are anti-copyright 2002 by myself. No rights reserved. Plagiarism is encouraged. Intellectual property is an oxymoron.
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Jizbug:
Good effect, but don't try it with a j***t, you could get shot! Smile
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
Merlin!
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Merlin!
I can't remember where I read this but it's a really good idea. If you take a piece of sandpaper, and tape it into your TT and then cut a strike-anywhere match, and cut it small enough to fit into your TT, you can produce a lit match from nowhere, this is great for offering someone a light.
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
I have a funny use for a TT that I thought I would throw in...

I was at a bar one night, and my friend, being interested in magic, had bought a TT the night before, I was basically giving him lessons. We met a couple of cute girls and proceeded to amaze them with magic! at one point, I vanished a dollar bill with a TT and threw it invisibly to my friend (he had his TT loaded with a bill as well) with his empty hands held up, he acted like he caught the invisible bill, and proceeded to produce it from his closed fist.

The Girls could not believe it! How did we make that bill travel the 10 feet between us invisibly??.. The funny thing is, I was pretty sloshed, and so was my friend.. we did not realise until the 2nd or 3rd time performing that I was using a $1.00 dollar bill, and he was using a $5.00 dollar bill Smile luckily the girls we were performing for were just as sloshed, they didn't catch it either..

Just something fun and different to do with a TT..

C-ya
Tom Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Tom, Isn't alcohol amnesia a magicians friend (sometimes)? Although at other times it can work against you. Like the time the spectator forgets which card they drew, or worse yet, when you forget the card you forced on them. Smile
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
BearMage
View Profile
New user
Kalamazoo, MI
26 Posts

Profile of BearMage
I recommend Bobby Chesboro's book The Tipnician and in particular...Roll Your Own from it.

As much as I love my TT, I'll have to check out the Darwin material. Thanks for that tip...chuckle.

Strange true TT story:

I was performing Jimmy Yoshida's "Hawaiian Volcano" cigarette vanish in a dimly lit bar one night for some friends. I had just bought a fresh packet of fpaper and didn't expect the wallop it packed. The cigarette shot out of the rolled bill and TT like a meteor across the bar. One of the patrons standing next to me exclaimed, "Wow! How'd you do that?" I responded, "It's not me, Washington's a non-smoker."

Lessons learned:
  1. Use less when new.
  2. Don't squeeze the TT. It narrows things down a bit if you do and makes a great cannon, not what's needed for the effect...grin.
Blessin's
Bear Smile
"We have not the reverent feeling for the rainbow that the savage has,
because we know how it was made. We have lost as much as we gained by
prying into that matter."
Mark Twain
gocall911
View Profile
Loyal user
Salem, VA
246 Posts

Profile of gocall911
Torn and restored blade of grass! I also have another really improv trick I pulled using a TT. Read my topic "I bet you can't do that..." to hear all about it!
"Use your head." ~Dai Vernon~
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
A way to drive people crazy—have a TT on your thumb. Make a fist with the thumb INSIDE the fist. Lever the thumb out of the TT, making a POP! noise.

Reinsert the thumb into the gimmick and show hand fleetingly, as empty.

I use this when a kid says, "I know how you do that!"

I respond with, "Well, if you want to be a REAL magician, you have to be able to do THIS!" POP!

It's in my lecture notes.

Regards,
Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
WandSpin
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of WandSpin
I like the finger through shirt with my TT.

Gary Darwin has a little booklet with over a hundred effects. You can do an entire show with this miracle device. I wish they would charge $100 for them to keep them out of the novelty stores.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Crazy Thumbtip Impromptu Magic! (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL