We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What One Book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
Does a serious builder of magic/illusions need?

Can only afford one. Parlor, close-up, stage. Does not have to be large items, but interesting effects. Will never get to build everything in it, but need the best overall tomb to learn from.

Tarbell set has way more than I will need unless there is a single volume.

Which one get the creative juices flowing? (Man I miss the SEARCH option!)

MuleePete
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I will name 3 books for different reasons, all I believe are OOP, but pop up occassionally.

1) The New Make-up Of Magic by Micky Hades - This has many of the basics of magic construction explained, although from what I've seen of your work, you probably already know much of the shop tips and techniques. Still, a very informative book that covers a lot of areas useful to the magician. There are project ideas, as well.

2) Science & Mechanics Magic Handbook - Quite a number of project ideas, very nicely explained, including complete plans, and in some cases, cutting lists. This is available (free) on The Learned Pig Project (as are many other cool old books that you'll get a TON of info from).

3) Magic by Hoyam (William Mayoh) - Lots of apparatus magic with an oriental slant. Many ideas are certainly adaptable to other themes, though. Lots of unusual things here that will get you thinking way beyond the typical bill of fare of dealer catalog magic.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
Thank You Michael, I will do some research on these titles.

Pete
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
From my own perspective I think Id buy the first book in the Eric Lewis Trilogy and add the other two as I could. They are only $35 each I think. A super bargain.

Also, what about the Paul Osborne books?? You should look through his website and see if one of his Illusion Systems books might do what you need.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2204 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Right now Im wanting One Degree, and the new Out Of This World book
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Magic of Robert Harbin

Although it was limited to 500 copies, I've seen several come up for auction during the past couple of years.

Yes, it's expensive, but well worth it.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7340 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I prefer the Albo Series. It has so many ideas for thought. No really working plans but lots of ideas.

The Eric Lewis Trilogy is very good. The Joe Berg book is also not bad for ideas.

Donal, I did get your check and will work some more on the color matching when I get back from New England.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
The Jack Hughes books of all his marketed effects. Lots of selection!

B
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
All Great suggestions Gentalmen, and I have been researching them on the web.

The Learned Pig is an outstanding site. It has all the projects I could hope for in one spot and look forward to many hours in the shop.

Thank you all for your input.

Mulee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What One Book (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL