The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book test and phone book test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

david12345
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of david12345
I currently perform a 3 phase book test routine. I am thinking of adding a phone book test perhaps to close my show. I wonder if they are too similar even though the book tests are mind reading and the phone book is a major prediction - ultimately they are related.

Thanks
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1026 Posts

Profile of kannon
Personally I'd say yes. Too similar. Unless you really do something dramatic to change the format. Maybe predict the number of an audiences cellphone number instead
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Quote:
On 2010-11-10 09:29, kannon wrote:
Personally I'd say yes. Too similar. Unless you really do something dramatic to change the format. Maybe predict the number of an audiences cellphone number instead

I disagree. To each his own, but IMO there is no reason at all why a telephone book test could not be presented either part of book test routine or as a separate stand-alone demonstration.
Dick Christian
david12345
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of david12345
I should explain more perhaps
The phone book would be where the spectator "PICKS" a number from a yellow pages and there would be 10 envelopes held by audience members that would of course be revealed to contains the numbers in order
So yes I think that's drama the idea to me is if the book tests were one word or idea in 80,000 or so, the phone book is one in a million or so.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Quote:
On 2010-11-10 11:03, david12345 wrote:
I should explain more perhaps
The phone book would be where the spectator "PICKS" a number from a yellow pages and there would be 10 envelopes held by audience members that would of course be revealed to contains the numbers in order
So yes I think that's drama the idea to me is if the book tests were one word or idea in 80,000 or so, the phone book is one in a million or so.

And what you have just described is essentially a copy of Bob Kohler's "Human Phone Book." I assume that you have either purchased the routine or will be using it with permission.
Dick Christian
david12345
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of david12345
I have not reached that point yet, of course once I decide on a version or presentational angle I would go through the proper channels.
david12345
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of david12345
I realize I described Bob Kohler's routine as it is one of great presentation and drama. I mentioned it more as an example of the effect I am interested in contrast to a book test.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book test and phone book test (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL