The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Getting colder... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Engine
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Engine
Hey there,
My Dove is getting a little older and I'm starting to get worried that he might get too cold at night. I've been looking at heating pads, infrared heaters and heating panels. The cage is midsized but he always sleeps in the same space. I've tried putting in a heating disc (filled with paraffin, heats in microwave) but he doesn't like it and I know it only stays warm for five hours.

What if anything do you use?
mysterious JO
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of mysterious JO
What about a nesting box of sorts with bedding material in it?? someone suggested that to me and I'm thinking on trying that! they also have heated perches

not sure if this would work on doves or not but I'm going to try it for my larger birds! http://birdcages4less.com/page/B/PROD/Bird_Perches/PA0700
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Engine, wondering where you are located? is your bird inside or out? with these answers you might get some more input that could really help. hope we can help you.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I'm going to take a wild guess and say you are located in Arizona. It seems like from your post that you only have one dove and I would assume that it is kept indoors.

Doves are very hearty creatures and can withstand very cold weather as long as they are not in a draft. I good source of heat if you are really concerned is a simple light bulb and I'd put it close to where your dove is sleeping. Seems like it's comfortable in that spot.

Again, unless there is a draft, the cold weather really shouldn't be a concern. It will consume more food and water in the colder months though so be prepared.
Where the magic begins
Engine
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Engine
Thanks Dave -
You are correct on all points Smile
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Dave,,, ok so now we know you are also a phsychic!! and a very good one it seems.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Smile
Where the magic begins
mysterious JO
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of mysterious JO
Lol
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Dave knows! He insured me that I could keep doves where I live despite the cold winter temperatures, and he was right! I keep mine in an unheated building that is lightly insulated. I run a red aquarium, heat bulb (mostly used for reptiles, I think) at really cold times. The bulb is 75 watts and it raises the temperature about 7-8 degrees. I have a thermometer that shows both indoor and outdoor temps, and the indoor temps are normally about 10 degrees warmer than outside. Couple that with the heat bulb and the indoor temps stay above freezing until it gets to down to around 15 or so outside. I don't worry at all until it gets down to the teens. I wouldn't think you would have anything to worry about in Arizona.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I raised doves for about 25 years, and Dave's info is correct. I think magicians tend to forget that birds (as a whole) live outside more than inside, and have for thousands of years. Much of their resistance to cold is the fact that their feathers are natural insulators. They fluff them to better keep warm (think down jacket), and they huddle into areas that keep them from the brunt of the weather. Think about what they do normally in cold weather, and simply provide the means for them to do the same.

In the midwest, winter can get brutal. Back in the 80's I had a large walk-in flight cage attached to my garage, and I stacked straw bales as a wind break, adding some of the straw to the nest boxes so the doves could bed down in it.

If the temps went very low (single digits or colder), I had a couple of temporary cages inside, and brought them in for the duration. A little extra vacuuming, but everyone survived just fine!

Hot weather and predators are actually more of a concern.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2010-11-17 14:37, Michael Baker wrote:
I think magicians tend to forget that birds (as a whole) live outside more than inside, and have for thousands of years. Think about what they do normally in cold weather, and simply provide the means for them to do the same.

But Michael, I'm afraid mine won't come back if they fly south for the winter! Smile
Mister Mystery
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-11-17 16:07, Regan wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-11-17 14:37, Michael Baker wrote:
I think magicians tend to forget that birds (as a whole) live outside more than inside, and have for thousands of years. Think about what they do normally in cold weather, and simply provide the means for them to do the same.

But Michael, I'm afraid mine won't come back if they fly south for the winter! Smile

Zombies aren't supposed to talk. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
I concur that you'll have nothing to worry about in Arizona. And a lightbulb in an enclosed cote is sufficient for almost everywhere else. Keeping the birds out of the wind is critical, more so than the temperature.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Getting colder... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL