The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looking for ideas... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
natswift
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado
175 Posts

Profile of natswift
I'm working on a mind reading show and have my set put together; I'm currently working on my script and there's one part that keeps bugging me.

After my introduction and some Psychological forces based on Bob Cassidy's idea of projecting images to the audience I move into his "A Name and Place" effect. (Essentially I'm using his framework for the first two effects of my show.)

There is a part in the effect when you get a billet and burn it. Unfortunately the place I'll be performing, (in a school auditorium) frowns on flames and smoke and such. So I thought of bringing a shredder on stage and shredding the billet.

But it doesn't make much sense to have a shredder on stage just to shred this one billet. Tearing it up doesn't make much sense, I'm worried someone will think I'm trying to look at it in the act of tearing it and if I hand it to someone to tear it up I'm afraid they'll get a glimpse of the billet I handed them.

However, I do like the idea of destroying the billet so I'm stuck arguing with myself on whether it needs destroyed or just "thrown out".

So that's my dilema, seems minor but I am really working hard to put together a good show that flows; trying to pay attention to every detail.

Any input thoughts and ideas will be appreciated.
Never forget to dream!

Nathan Smith
nateswift2010@gmail.com
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5116 Posts

Profile of Amirá
PM you
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Edible paper ( rice paper ) and use the line "all good spys dispose of thier notes this way .Im no spy but I do believe in recycling ....ahem".
Regards Mark
E.O.I
tonyf
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of tonyf
Amira .. I have the same concern .. could you PM me your solution .. thanks
natswift
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado
175 Posts

Profile of natswift
Quote:
On 2010-11-10 12:39, tonyf wrote:

What concern is that?
Never forget to dream!

Nathan Smith
nateswift2010@gmail.com
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
A hand held shredder battery operated can be used, and maybe add some humour if that's the way you want to go.
I use one to destroy envelopes in a bank night routine.

steve
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2010-11-10 12:44, natswift wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-11-10 12:39, tonyf wrote:

What concern is that?

He's beginner and never heard of Cassidy Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
natswift
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado
175 Posts

Profile of natswift
Mark: Great idea... I like it

If this post needs to be moved than please move it but let me clarify; I am not looking for "secrets" I'm looking for ideas on how to handle the destruction (or not) of a billet that was just handed to me.

I have been a magician for over two decades and am trying to take my entertainment to the next level by putting together a good quality show.

It has taken me about two years to research and assemble my "effect list" and now am in the stage of writing my script. I, for some reason keep getting hung up on the destruction of the billet. As I said before probably not a huge deal, but for me it's one of the details I'm not comfortable with yet.

So I'm not sure why I've been told this post needs moved and there is "concern" for my question; or why I need to learn some new techniques.

I don't think I've given away any methods nor that any methods need given away for this discussion.

Hope this clears up my question and still hope to hear some of your ideas...
Never forget to dream!

Nathan Smith
nateswift2010@gmail.com
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5116 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Switchcraft. A LOT of crazy ideas in billets .
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
natswift
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado
175 Posts

Profile of natswift
Thank you Amira, I will look into Switchcraft
Never forget to dream!

Nathan Smith
nateswift2010@gmail.com
natswift
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado
175 Posts

Profile of natswift
Steve,

I've thought of that but the handheld shredders I've seen look almost too "propish"

Is that a word? if not it should be...
Never forget to dream!

Nathan Smith
nateswift2010@gmail.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The problem of burning the billet has been overblown in this and another similar thread. I never ask beforehand what I can and cannot do - I just do it and have never had a problem.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Listen to Bob! If you don't ask permission, they can't tell you "no" and if one tiny billet is all you're going to burn it will be over long before anyone can stop you. If they tell you after the show that you shouldn't have done it then apologize with an appropriate air of contrition.

One of the routines in my magic show (not my mindreading show) involves burning two envelopes which makes enough smoke to possibly set off a smoke alarm so I always get permission if I'm going to include that routine in the show. A tiny billet however is not going to make enough smoke to set off a smoke alarm so you should have nothing to worry about.
Dick Christian
natswift
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado
175 Posts

Profile of natswift
Bob, thanks for commenting...

Maybe I am thinking too much; The logic and steps involved with burning the billet work perfectly and I think I've found myself in a case of trying to re-invent the wheel...or as a friend of mine said "if it aint broke, fix it till it is".

Well thanks to Bob's routining, it definitely isn't broke.

With that I'll just go for it and see how it plays out.

The dates for the show haven't been set but we're looking at sometime either late December or early January. After the show I'll let you all know how it works.
Never forget to dream!

Nathan Smith
nateswift2010@gmail.com
Gregg Foxx
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Gregg Foxx
Colin McCloud presented his version of Cassidy's brilliant Name and Place (wherein Colin tears up the billet) at last month's Mindvention and included the routine in his lecture notes (reportedly with the good Dr. Bob's permission before printing it up). Colin put his own spin on the effect. I think you will get a lot out of thinking about how you can make the routine your own and destroying or switching the billet however it appears logical (eating it is rather arresting and might not fit every persona or presentation). However, that being said, I agree with Bob's sage advice: Just go ahead and burn it and worry about forgiveness later.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2567 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
In this case it's not a question of not asking what you can or can't do.You already know the policy of the venue regarding the use of fire.

So ask yourself, is knowingly ignoring and/or violating the fire regulations and/or guidelines of the venue you've been booked to perform in really a good idea?
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
magic maniac
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
Now I've never performed the routine, but I wouldn't have any hesitation burning a little bitty billet on stage. In fact, I feel it adds a real nice visual image that is much stronger than tearing it up.

So for the sake of our art, take a risk, and do it !
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2567 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Or, as an alternative the advice given above from 'magic manic' and others, you could show a bit of respect to the people that have booked you and adhere to the conditions under which you have been hired.
Neal Austin

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Neal-

I think you may be missing my point. Except when working the Parlour at the Magic Castle, I have NEVER had a booker (even on repeat bookings) tell me that I could not use fire at a performance. If they did, I simply wouldn't do the routine.

All I have been saying is that I never ask for permission to do anything - I just do it.

Good thoughts,

Bob Cassidy
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2567 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Bob,

I think it would help to clarify then that in your first post you were making a general point and not giving advice regarding the specific situation that the original poster was asking about.

This is especially pertinent given that the two positions that you express... :

"just do it", as a general position to accompany your policy of 'don't ask'.... and...

"I simply wouldn't do the routine", as applied to the position that pertains to the specifics of this thread... are quite different.

Hopefully this will clear up any confusion.

Cheers Neal.
Neal Austin

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looking for ideas... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL