The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » London Students Seize the High Ground (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
In defense of the students they said half the crowd consisted of rent a mob anarchist (who protest everything except protesting) and other thugs.... the bulk of the British students were at their local mosque trying to figure out how to destroy Britain after their tuition is paid for.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-12-10 00:05, MagicSanta wrote:
In defense of the students they said half the crowd consisted of rent a mob anarchist (who protest everything except protesting) and other thugs....

The "they" being the authorities, of course. It is curious how "they" claim this about every big protest these days. Being a rent a mob anarchist must be a great job if it allows you to jet all over the world like this.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
They right it off....
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Oops
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-12-10 00:05, MagicSanta wrote:
In defense of the students they said half the crowd consisted of rent a mob anarchist (who protest everything except protesting) and other thugs.... the bulk of the British students were at their local mosque trying to figure out how to destroy Britain after their tuition is paid for.

Has Tommy actually been positively identified in any of the photos?

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I would say that education can occasionally be harmful. There are quacks who somehow make it through med school to become certified quacks.
Law school takes quite a bit of education and probably leads to more harm than good. I mean, there are lawyers out there doing good work, but for every one of them there's 100 more lying for a criminal or twisting words and statutes around to put one back into society where they can continue to hurt others.
The incompetent leadership I've seen in various workplaces often comes from those with business degrees.
And then there's Political Science... need I say more?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-12-10 13:51, critter wrote:
I would say that education can occasionally be harmful. There are quacks who somehow make it through med school to become certified quacks.
Law school takes quite a bit of education and probably leads to more harm than good. I mean, there are lawyers out there doing good work, but for every one of them there's 100 more lying for a criminal or twisting words and statutes around to put one back into society where they can continue to hurt others.
The incompetent leadership I've seen in various workplaces often comes from those with business degrees.

With respect to attorneys, I find your claim rather ignorant, for lack of a better word. First of all, criminal defense attorneys are a small fraction of the total number of attorneys out there. As for the ones who are criminal defense attorneys, zealous representation is the cornerstone of the adversarial system, which in turn serves to keep innocent people out of prison. Lying in court or in a pleading happens, but it's strongly discouraged by the state bars and subjects one to serious disciplinary action (e.g. the prosecutor in the Duke lacrosse case, who has been disbarred).

As a profession as a whole, I don't know of one offhand that does more to encourage pro bono services on behalf of people who cannot afford the prevailing wage. In the past year alone, I've come across dozens of attorneys in various areas (particularly family law, criminal law, immigration law, and special education law) who have donated hundreds of hours of their time serving people who can't afford them. I'm talking about people with, in some case, tens of thousands of dollars of student loans, and whose education has put them in the fortunate position of commanding hourly salaries in the $250 to $350 range; people who have donated thousands of dollars' worth of their time (collectively) helping the economically disadvantaged. They go to clinics, pick up cases on referral, and participate in community outreach "Law Days." What's the last month your favorite accountant spent 20 hours doing taxes for poor people and not charging them?

As for people with business degrees, incompetent leadership does often come from them - because they're the ones who have the jobs. Do you think there would be fewer incompetent decisions made by people without business degrees? Most fumbles in the NFL are made by people who played college ball. Try replacing NFL running backs with people who DIDN'T play college ball, and see how much better the quality is.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-12-10 16:35, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-10 13:51, critter wrote:

With respect to attorneys, I find your claim rather ignorant, for lack of a better word.

:)

Quote:
First of all, criminal defense attorneys are a small fraction of the total number of attorneys out there.

Yup, there's also the kind who twist the facts to get people money that they don't deserve.
Whether they be working to get some rich lady a lot of divorce money, save a deadbeat dad some child support, helping out an insurance company to screw over an accident victim...

Quote:
As for the ones who are criminal defense attorneys, zealous representation is the cornerstone of the adversarial system, which in turn serves to keep innocent people out of prison. Lying in court or in a pleading happens, but it's strongly discouraged by the state bars and subjects one to serious disciplinary action (e.g. the prosecutor in the Duke lacrosse case, who has been disbarred).

Kind of like how criminals often claim that they are just doing it to get by in an evil world? It's not them, it's us?
Anyway, there's more than one way to lie. I've seen attorney's lie to themselves and claim to believe that a defendant had multiple peronalities despite all evidence to the contrary.

Quote:
As a profession as a whole, I don't know of one offhand that does more to encourage pro bono services on behalf of people who cannot afford the prevailing wage. In the past year alone, I've come across dozens of attorneys in various areas (particularly family law, criminal law, immigration law, and special education law) who have donated hundreds of hours of their time serving people who can't afford them. I'm talking about people with, in some case, tens of thousands of dollars of student loans, and whose education has put them in the fortunate position of commanding hourly salaries in the $250 to $350 range; people who have donated thousands of dollars' worth of their time (collectively) helping the economically disadvantaged. They go to clinics, pick up cases on referral, and participate in community outreach "Law Days." What's the last month your favorite accountant spent 20 hours doing taxes for poor people and not charging them?

Yeah, and I already acknowledged that they aren't ALL bad.
And, as a matter of fact, I've known accountants and other professionals who have volunteered with SNAP and other places that do help poor people to afford housing, phones, electricity, etc.
My girlfriend works for a non-profit health insurance company that does a lot of good work.
There are clinics that work on a sliding pay scale that goes all the way down to free, so I'm pretty sure I'd put doctors on my list of folks who can do good.
I never said that all attorney's are bad, I said straight out that there are a few that do good work. What I said is that I believe there to be more ambulance chasers and criminal apologists than there are 'good guys.'
I never said that good couldn't be done with a degree, I only said that bad can be done with one too.

Quote:
As for people with business degrees, incompetent leadership does often come from them - because they're the ones who have the jobs. Do you think there would be fewer incompetent decisions made by people without business degrees? Most fumbles in the NFL are made by people who played college ball. Try replacing NFL running backs with people who DIDN'T play college ball, and see how much better the quality is.

College ball doesn't make athletes great, genetics and steroids do.
I think that most people who make it to 'the top' in business and politics "didn't get there without stepping on a few toes," as the old cliche goes.
Entrance into a graduate program is more of a political game than a test of competence. I mean, you obviously can't be a complete dud unless you have LOT of money and pull to make up for it, but a 3.8 with little experience will beat a 4.0 with much experience if the interviewer likes you better, and psychopaths can be very charismatic.

Bottom line: Power STILL corrupts.
~Will Rogers
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Off with their heads was the cry. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-12-10 16:35, LobowolfXXX wrote:

As a profession as a whole, I don't know of one offhand that does more to encourage pro bono services on behalf of people who cannot afford the prevailing wage.

Wow. Is that any indication of a large number of guilty consciences in the profession that need assuaging. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-12-10 17:03, critter wrote:

Yes, I didn't mean to suggest that you were portraying them ALL as bad. There's always that 1 out of 101.

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It seems the increase is to the cap amount that a school can charge. So Oxford would be $14 grand a year, that is really cheap. Other schools can increase, or not, their tuition as they see fit but cannot go above the cap.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-12-10 19:48, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-10 17:03, critter wrote:

Yes, I didn't mean to suggest that you were portraying them ALL as bad. There's always that 1 out of 101.

Well yeah so that probably makes at least a couple hundred. I don't know how many lawyers are out in the world but it's probably at least a few thousand. And then there's the thousands more who weren't on the OJ defense.
Seems like there's at least two in every strip mall around here, and we aren't that big a town.
~Will Rogers
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
Great headline in yesterday's Guardian newspaper, which was "Prince Charles and Camilla caught up in London violence after student fees vote". I read the headline in the newsagents, and I had a vision of Chuck and Cam laying into students while shouting "Take that you ****** oik!", then kicking and shouting as the police dragged them away to cool off in the cells overnight.

Sadly, the reality was a bit more mundane, consisting of an egg and some paint being thrown at the royals' car, rather than the royals dishing out the aggro. Although apparently Camilla was also poked in the ribs. Yesterday's Telegraph newspaper said that someone could have been shot, although whether they meant by a panic stricken armed guard, or by a protester who had the sort of egg that fires bullets, they didn't say.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010......-protest
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » London Students Seize the High Ground (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL