The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Very strange book about illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Any one here read "Sorcerer's Apprentice" by Tahir Shah?

It concerns the writer who, as a young man, learned to perform some odd bits of magic from a family friend.
Twenty years later (talk about an incubation period!) He goes to India to re-meet with the friend and learn magic seriously. Only to find the friend has sworn off doing magic forever (seems that show twenty years ago climaxed in a fireball that singed the hair and burned off the eyebrows of his hosts!)

The friend suggests he find the magician that originally taught HIM and the story goes into Gonzo weirdness from there.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Sounds like my kind of read. Thanks!
You know why don't act naive.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Just be advised, I don't say "Gonzo weirdness" lightly.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
The cover picture is great. Read the first few pages on the Amazon site . . . this might give an interesting insight into the world of Indian magic . . .

Woland
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Although his "mentor" force feeds him the history of magic, he doesn't know what's happening in one effect until he finds a way underneath the stage and sees the mechanism.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Ed,

Looking around, I found Tahir Shah's blog and some more interesting information about him. he is the son of Idries Shah, who wrote a few influential popular books about Sufism back in the 50s and 60s, also publishing a few compilations of humorous teaching-tales about the Mullah NassrEddin (Nasrudin) -- highly recommended.

I am definitely going to obtain a copy of this book!

Woland
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Loved this book. I've mentioned it a few times on this very forum.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Found the book, and have begun reading. It is very interesting. More of a travelogue so far, but then I have only just reached the part where Tahir Shah describes his first few weeks of apprenticeship . . .

Woland
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Completed reading the book. It's a well-done travelogue, describing all sorts of mountebanks, charlatans, and scam artists met along highways and byways most tourists and travelers never see. Most of the effects seem to be done with poisonous chemicals.

The character of the Bengali Mage, Hakim Feroze, is interesting. That part of the book reminded me of some of the memoirs concerning George Gurdjieff, on the one hand, and of Alejandro Jodorowsky's film, The Holy Mountain, on the other.

I would be interested to know, from someone who has independent knowledge of Indian magic, whether Hakim Feroze is in fact generally considered one of the greats in this field.

Thanks to you, Ed, for bringing this interesting book to our attention!

Woland
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Great book, heavily paned when it came out by the skeptic boors.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Very strange book about illusions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL