The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spectator Hero (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9637 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have received a lot of queries about the "Spectator as Hero" approach and I will be releasing an eBooks with several such effects -- but here is a "freebee" that I would be imbarrassed to sell.

You have a stacked deck -- even one right out of the box, in your right coat pocket. You announce that you are going to have a spectator read your mind. After getting a volunteer to stand and concentrate, you put your hand your pockets and rock casually, maybe even whistle and look at the ceiling -- anything to give the impression you are not sending any message. When He/she names a card you act surprised and ask if they are certain, meanwhile locating the card in you pocket and palming it.

Then say, "What I didn't tell you was that I had a card in my shirt pocket to help me concentrate." Reach up while pulling your coat aside with your left hand, reach in and "extract" the card saying, "I'm glad you volunteered. Not eveyone is that perceptive."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Ross
View Profile
Elite user
Bristol
468 Posts

Profile of Ross
I love the participant as mind reader approach.

I'm curious how you locate the card though? If you could even cut to it with the deck on the table in full view I'd be impressed.

Best regards,

Ross
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9637 Posts

Profile of funsway
Immediately, I got PMs for details I thought would be obvious.

After asking the volunteer to read your mind, offer to make it a little easier you will think of a playing card -- that you will try and give them and image of the card to pluck from your mind. When they name a card you say -- "wow -- that's it!" which gets a laugh since you could say that about any card named. Then you do the final bit. The misdirection is so great that palming the card is no big deal.

separate the deck in your pocket into ordered suits separated by index cards. Have them reveal the suit first "To make it even easier." Locate that stack and count over six cards with your thumb. Now it is easy to just move a couple of cards away to get he named one. You can pull your left hand out and gesture during this process, but you have made having your hands in pockets natural, so it is not a problem. Then pullaside your coat as your talk about your shirt pocket. Plunk the card against your chest and slide over and into the pocket so that it can be extracted at the finger tips.

Yes, cutting to the card on the table might appear more skillful but would make it a card trick rather than a demonstration of telepathy. The success of this effect is that it is so silly at first everyone is caught by surprise at the end.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spectator Hero (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL