The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First Gig (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicMitch
View Profile
New user
New City, NY
71 Posts

Profile of MagicMitch
Hey all-

Next weekend, I am performing my first gig- I'm working a bat mitzvah next weekend.
Any tips on routining or how to approach people?

Thanks-
MagicMitch
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Yes, since its your first gig I only have to say two words to you: have fun!

I hope you enjoy it! Let us hear how it went so we can discuss routining and audience reaction/approaching and make your second gig even better!
"He must be content to rank with the common herd." - S.W. Erdnase
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
So this is strolling stuff?

I can suggest to you the formula that so called "speed seduction" experts use, and I learned from an excellent DVD instructional set on being an out and about hypnotist:

(1) Start with a compliment. Something drew you to the group or table. if they are laughing open with "Well, this looks like the fun table!" or whatever. But something complimentary.

(2) Immediately follow that with an introduction. In your introduction establish your reason for being there. "I'm Magic Mitch and I'm part of the entertainment tonight." or "I'm Mitch and I'm a Magician."

(3) Follow that up with a question. Don't make it a defensive one like "Do you like magic?" That shows uncertainty on your part. If you do cards you might ask "Do any of you play cards?" This might also tell you who is likely to be able to do a decent shuffle Smile

That gets you into a conversation. Then you just need to segue into your routine. For instance if its a poker themed illusion you might ask, "What card games do you play?" and lead the conversation to poker. Which then naturally moves to "Well then, take a look at this..." or "Wouldn't it be great if..." (For instance if I was going to do iChange I'd probably "how many times have you had a king when you wanted an ace, or vice versa? Wouldn't it be great if you could do this... "

Now, having said all this, I must admit I don't do strolling magic. I used to do street magic, but I let them come to me. So this is really just based on my experience with people and some good instructions I've heard from others Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
MagicMitch
View Profile
New user
New City, NY
71 Posts

Profile of MagicMitch
Michiel- thanks!
Cyberqat- that's great advice, I'll be sure to try it out! And yeah, it is walkaround.
StephenP
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of StephenP
That is some great advice for me too, especially the helpful "ice breakers."
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Yes ull do fine. Relax , and have a blast. Cyberqat gave some good practical advice to even make you have more fun Smile
"He must be content to rank with the common herd." - S.W. Erdnase
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
I am NOT an experienced magician.....however Mark James who is gives this advice.

1. The audience will be a notch below your own energy level, so if you are kind of downbeat the audience will also be downbeat... "clever trick" rather than "WOW!" So be energized and the audience will be also.
2. Ask for the applause - "if this is your card you're going to go wild with applause"
3. When you leave the table ask them "if you enjoyed the show to tell the management and when I go start cheering and clapping so the next table will be fired up"

Or something on those lines.

Let us know how it went.
MagicMitch
View Profile
New user
New City, NY
71 Posts

Profile of MagicMitch
Wow, I have been out of touch. So, thank you everyone for the advice!! The gig was now about a month ago (how time flies...) and it went great!! Gave out a bunch of business cards, and apparently I was the subject of multiple conversations with the host. It was a ton of fun! Thank you everyone for all your advice.
CRMagius
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of CRMagius
Quote:
2. Ask for the applause - "if this is your card you're going to go wild with applause"

I am totally stealing that line! Smile

There, just entered it into my notebook, right underneath "Can you read my mind?!" "I certainly can, and ... ooh, you dirty boy/naughty girl!"
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Quote:
On 2010-12-22 16:27, MagicMitch wrote:
Gave out a bunch of business cards, and apparently I was the subject of multiple conversations with the host. It was a ton of fun! Thank you everyone for all your advice.
I hope all those conversations were positive. Good to hear you had fun. Now go have some more. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First Gig (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL