The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I need help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pickacard1234
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of pickacard1234
Where do I go to learn some magic on this site? I am confused. if you know please please please tell me please.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
What kind of magic are you interested in? Close up? Stage? There are all kinds of possibilities - and the people on this site will be more than happy to point you in the right direction!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
StephenP
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of StephenP
This is more a place of discussion than instruction, with tips and the like.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
You start with books such as Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, Bill Tarr's Now You See It Now You Don't, Harry Loraynes Magic Book, or any other number of beginners texts. If you want computer video , try Mark Wilson's Magic University, an online course. (I believe they are currently updating the University site). Go to the websites of the International Brotherhood of Magicians and the Society of American Magicians and see if they have a ring or assembly near you. Visit that group and make contact with magicians who can help you find sources for learning. If it is cards you are interested, then a text such as Royal Road to Card Magic or The four volume series of Card College would be a good start. There are DVDs of Royal Road out there, and other beginner DVDs which you can find from just about any internet magic shop, or places like loomismagic.com or L&L publishing.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
mbwambwa
View Profile
New user
I've never posted anything, so how come I have
61 Posts

Profile of mbwambwa
I like Volume 1 of the Tarbell Course in Magic. It includes a nice variety, and should keep you busy for quite a while.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
For beginning sleight of hand, I recommend Bill Tarr's "Now You See It., Now You Don't" which can be had for less then $15.00 on amazon. The Mark Wilson book is also an excellent starting introduction and very inexpensive considering its size and contents!

The other recommendation is to find a good magic shop in your area. There is nothing better then face to face interaction since magic is all about interacting with other people. Once you get your feet wet you might want to look into a magic club in your area such as the Sam or IBM.

But as others have said, also introduce yourself! Tell us a bit about what you are interested in and we can help point you the right way.

What you WONT find on this site is a big list of "reveals." This is a site populated by professionals and serious amateurs, and anonymous or broadcasted reveals are against the basic code of the art.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
jem368
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of jem368
As the first poster said, there's a lot of different types of magic (for example, card tricks, mentalism, hypnosis, comedy magic routines, magic with small props like cards/coins/scarves/doves/rabbits, large-scale stage illusions). What are you interested in specifically?
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Doubt you will "learn some magic" here. Not what the Café is about. You can learn many great things, how to present, how to misdirect, how to work out the kinks of an effect, etc. But either (1) you invent your own magic, or (2) someone else does it for you. In case of #1, you don't need to "learn some magic" here. In case of #2, we will help you find out where you can buy the information from the inventor or author (who did it to feed their family), lots of times at the lowest price. Not a bad deal, eh???
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
In the café we don’t give out secrets (expect in the secret session). But we do share knowlage and ideas. Have a look around and your get the idea.

Hers the kind of advice I give to people just starting out. A invisible deck. TT with silk and a set of spotty dot paddles. 3 great tricks and gets the idea of 3 tricks is all you need. Also your learn them quick and can show people and work on presentation.

Next up will be Mark Wilson book. And a couple of bicycle packs, 1 set of sponge balls and a pile of rope. possibly a set of cups and balls and multiplying balls for Xmas.
The next thing is Fooler Dooler DVDS of magic.
Hers a list of cost.

1- Invisible deck /TT plus silk/ spotty dot paddles- 15pounds

2- Mark Wilsons book/ 2 pack Cards/ Sponge balls/ rope. 22pounds

3- Cups and balls/ multiplying balls. 30pounds

4- Darlys DVD. 75pounds

This all in all cost 142pounds . I fill that this set has a variety of tricks and also introduce impromptu stuff as well.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I need help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL