The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ideas for bypassing the time in ADD-A-NO Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chester Sass
View Profile
Loyal user
Check out my book 120% CHESTOSTERONE
247 Posts

Profile of Chester Sass
Hello friends,
I would like to know if there are good ideas of how to bypass the time where 3 persons are selected and have to write down a 3 digit number. This time should be used to do "something" so that this is no dead time.
How do you cover that problem? Do you care anyway? Telling some jokes? :-D
TIA for your answers.
Author of "120% Chestosterone"
NOW AVAILABLE FROM YOUR DEALER OF TRUST!

Chester
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
It depends to which place in you show you use it ( read Riggs about it)
It depends you personna( read Weber about it)
it depends how you structure you show( also Weber)
It depends you own experiences ( read nobody but listen yourself about it)
Es kommt darauf an.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
ChrisWall
View Profile
Regular user
England
115 Posts

Profile of ChrisWall
Exactly as above. It depends on the routine one is trying to create and ones persona.

It would make sense for my character to try to build up some patter by looking at my participants and trying to send them the numbers that I want them to pick.

For a different persona then one might want to tell a story that will lead to the eventual climax of the routine.
"Have your cake and eat it... there's no other reason to have a cake" - Derren Brown

http://www.chrisreadsminds.co.uk
Mentalist Sam
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Mentalist Sam
Chester,

I think you need to re-frame the problem to yourself. It's not about killing dead time, it's a matter of making the process more interesting. Having spectators write down numbers can be interesting. But just handing them a pad to write down a 3 or 4 digit number, then passing it to the next person, and so on, is not interesting.

In some of Derren Brown's earlier TV shows he did Add-A-No and made the number writing process interesting. That's not only one of the keys to making this routine entertaining, but mentalism in general.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
IMO the important issue is not so much how one "passes the time" but that one establishes a rationale for having several people write numbers and for another to total them. As for myself, I think doing so merely to show that the total matches your prediction is probably the weakest reason for doing it. Unfortunately it seems to be the reason most often chosen.
Dick Christian
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2493 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I have some funny lines I use.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Paul.W
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of Paul.W
Twisting hand trick, this should help
Scott M
View Profile
Special user
Apex, NC
524 Posts

Profile of Scott M
In the past...I have read predictions from a past issue of The Enquirer...my favorite is that Oprah Winfrey will dump long time boyfriend Stegman to hook up and marry Deprok Chopra and become Oprah Chopra. (An actual prediction!).

It went over well during a section my assistant was getting numbers for a book test of Max Maven's.

-Scott M.
Chester Sass
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of Chester Sass
Thanks to all!
The ADD A NO will be part of a longer routine. It is no single effect in my presentation. The reveal will be a funny one (hopefully ;-))
The reason why I'm asking is that I've seen some AAN routines, and nearly all of them were a little bit boring when it was time to write down the numbers.
I don't want to make a big deal of the numbers like:" Look at me....I'm trying to influence you in a penetrating manner!!!" *smile*
No heat on the numbers. I'm just trying to find out what others do during this process; Other short effects, funny lines, story telling, some music?
Just want to get some inspiration from you and you experiences.

Chester
ChrisWall
View Profile
Regular user
England
115 Posts

Profile of ChrisWall
I've experimented with the idea of using a phone as the prediction in a bag and when the participants add the numbers together it forms a phone number and when the spectators dial lo-and-behold the bag starts ringing and they freely formed the number of the phone.

You could then tell a story of how you and some friends were trying to call a celebrity messing around and then you got the number by pure accident.

Maybe not the best idea but an idea none the less.
"Have your cake and eat it... there's no other reason to have a cake" - Derren Brown

http://www.chrisreadsminds.co.uk
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2493 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I thought of a similar idea with a cell phone but it'd be an audience members phone that rings.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I perform my version of this effect as a way of exploring the idea of randomness versus fate.

I tell a true story of how, one day, I mistakenly took the wrong exit on a Los Angeles freeway, only to watch a large truck flip on its side and smash into the freeway wall. If I hadn't exited moments earlier, my little car would have been in the crash path and I surely would have been crushed.

As I tell this story, I pause at various moments to ask someone to call out a two digit number. The number is written down as I continue with my story. By the end of the story, five or six numbers have been called out.

While someone adds the total, I explain how after witnessing the truck crash, I couldn't help but go over the series of events that caused me to take this early exit from the freeway.

The logic side of me rationalized that these were random events and not directly connected to my narrowly avoiding the crash. But another part of me couldn't help but try to tie it all together, to add a narrative of extra meaning to all those events, to toy with the idea of fate.

I ask a few of the spectators who called out numbers, why they chose that specific number. Was it random? Does that number have meaning to them? In some way, is it possible that this collection of random numbers, like the events that caused me to exit one stop early, actually add up to something greater -- some type of fate?

I then reveal that their random total does in fact match a total I had out on display the entire time.

That's how I eliminate the "boring parts" of ADD-A-NO. I try to add meaning to the procedure.
Chester Sass
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of Chester Sass
Thanks very much for sharing your ideas here.
Nice story Mr. Mindbender, and I'm happy that you took the wrong exit! ;-)

Chester
Rebecca_Harris
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Rebecca_Harris
How are you having the numbers chosen?

Are they being called out or are they being written down?

If you're having them called out then the best way to keep the audience interested is to keep them involved. Have all of them thinking of a number and then pick members at random to call out their number.

If the numbers are being written down, just keep chatting with the audience, keep intereacting, don't let any silent moments. It dosen't have to be anything to do with the routine really, just keep a dialogue going.
Boo de Hoop
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
101 Posts

Profile of Boo de Hoop
Hi Chester,

only some ideas, what you could do:

Talk about statistical probability an how it change by adding numbers of three different persons.

Brief them to use very personal numbers and tell some funny anecdotes (hope this is the rigth english word) what happens in earlier performance (75C,...)

Just tell them a story, why you want three different persons to write a number...

Make a zodiac routine in the meantime Smile
Sorry for my English! My German is a little bit better ;-)
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
872 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Lior Manor has some fun ideas in his Mobile Opener.

Mr. Mindbender, your routine seems like a very engaging presentation. It seems like it eliminates any dead time. And it's interesting.

But if people are calling out numbers, then your effect must be a slightly different method of Add-A-Number because if the numbers are said out loud, wouldn't any member of the audience be able to add them up?

Great routine IMO!!
Rebecca_Harris
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Rebecca_Harris
There are lots of different add a number methods, some involve people writing down numbers, others can involve numbers being called out.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Thanks Chester -- I an too Smile

Thanks too Marqus -- yeah, it's a little bit of a variation I've worked on for a while. Full disclosure -- it isn't quite as clean as I describe above because I don't mean to bore everyone with details, just wanted to share my presentation, but I do believe that the effect I describe is what the audience remembers it to be, if that makes sense.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ideas for bypassing the time in ADD-A-NO Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL