The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Collector's workshop deluxe billiard balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
Anyone else got these? I think I just found my perfect set of multiplying billiards.
First, they're $125. On the other hand, it's the holiday season.

The set includes three red balls and a red shell, a single white ball, and a red silk-to-ball feke. It's shipped in a very nice wooden box with a foam inset to keep everything neat.

In terms of handling, they are excellent. All balls, the silk-to-ball and the shell are made from some kind of light hardwood. Everything has a lacquer finish that's just excellent - after just a little bit of practice, it's gotten nicely 'grippy', yet still usable in a Downs dropper. Since they're wood, they make an excellent noise when clicked together.

Everything is 1 7/8", so if you're hung up on ball size, that might be an issue. On the other hand, it's easy to get genuine pool/billiard/snooker balls in matching sizes if you want to go crazy on the productions and color changes. The finish has tiny flecks of gold in it too, so they catch a spotlight nicely but I guess some folks might prefer a flat finish. They don't look 'glittery' at all, they just look a little brighter in a spotlight than genuine snooker balls. They definitely have character. If you asked me to pin it down, I'd say they're cheeky, in a classy kind of way. I know that sounds weird. It feels like someone spent a great deal of time and effort making them.

The shell is extremely thin, considering it's apparently made of wood. Looks like it's a little over 1/32 of an inch thick. Seems reasonably robust though; I've already dropped mine a couple of times and it's fine.

All the usual caveats about wooden balls apply, of course. You can't bounce them. Don't juggle them on a concrete floor; they're not for playing golf with, etc.

All in all, top quality and exactly what I wanted. Now I can stop worrying about finding the perfect set and get back to practicing.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I heard about these deluxe wooden balls from Joe Stevens company.

I recently bought a set of 1 3/4 wooden balls from Daytona and they are the worst wooden balls I have ever seen. First of all they are undersized and the shell is enormous. The shell is so bad you can't actually even do the standard manipulation move because you can't hold the shell and the ball at the same time, the size difference is too great. Maybe they stopped making the old standard type of wooden balls.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Christopher Rinaldi
Yup, I can't find the original German balls anywhere. I've had a set of the German balls since the early 90's and just last year I dropped the shell and ball together and as a result the shell cracked and broke, no amount of glue will ever make it the same!

Got myself a set of Empire golf balls, they're okay but I sure miss my wooden balls.

Now this set of balls that just came out look awesome but the price leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
JamesinLA,

I just returned a set of the B 033 1.5" wood balls (India) to Daytona which they had mistakenly sent when I ordered a set of the B 033H 40mm=1.57 inches wood balls (India). Talk to them. Better to have store credit for something useful than to keep the ones you received.

The set they sent first (B 033) had the same problems you described. It would simply not have been possible to perform the basic multiplying move with that set. It was absurd. I wonder how many young folks buy that set and think that the shell is normal. The folks at Daytona were very nice in that they offered to pay my return shipping costs and make things right. What I asked for in return was a set of the best wooden balls they had, whether it be the 45mm B 033A (India) set or the B 034D 45mm German set and that I would pay any difference in cost. I was hoping for the German ones.

What they sent was the 45mm B 033A (India) set. Presumably the German balls are out of stock. ***. I had a nice set that I believe was German that I got from Ireland of Chicago in the sixties and I was hoping for a larger set like those. Too bad.

The 45mm B 033A (India) set has a slightly better tapered shell than the cheaper B 033 set, however it was just as ill fitting. I have remedied that problem somewhat by lining the shell with flesh colored spongy adhesive tape from the drug store. Now at least, the ball does not click or rattle around in the shell but it is a far cry from what I am looking for. The edge tapering (if you can call it that) is still thick. The paint job is acceptable with a few imperfections...but not perfect like my old German set. In short, I'm still looking.

VOLTO, the Collectors' Workshop Deluxe Billiard Ball set is indeed drop dead gorgeous from the photos at Viking and Martin's Magic. I was wondering if they were in fact the gems that they appeared to be and your description seems to bear that out. I want to move into my manipulation routine by pulling a white silk out of my coat's breast pocket, color changing to red, then transforming the red silk to a red ball. When I saw that the Collectors' Workshop Deluxe Billiard Ball set [u]included[/u] a hollow red ball I thought wow, this is the set for me. But the price took my breath away. I'm only an amateur and it is hard to justify the expense for a hobby, although the craftsmanship appears superb and worth every centavo.

Maybe if I'm a very good boy this year, Santa will make some "appear" in my stocking. Unfortunately, I will have to do the promised family Christmas Eve magic show with either my ancient and worn German set or my new Gosh sponge set. Oh well.
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
A minor clarification, having measured carefully, the outer diameter of the shell is 1 7/8". The balls are very slightly smaller in order to fit; certainly no smaller than 1 3/4"; the shell is impressively thin.
So my comment "everything is 1 7/8" is wrong. It's obvious, if you think about it, but I thought I should clarify.
Excellent balls, anyhow.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Collector's workshop deluxe billiard balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL