The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Blaine decks - anyone seen 'em? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1387 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
My understanding is that these would be unleashed on the laypeeps in retails stores on October 30, but I've yet to see one. Anyone come across these yet (outside of a magic shop)?
It's all in the reflexes.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2201 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I've not seen them in a "normal" store yet, but did pick up one of each at my magic shop a few days back. They are excellent. The cutting on the stripper and Svengali decks is perfect. The marks on the marked deck are very easy to read, but blend in well so an audience won't spot them. Very high quality stuff, easily could have sold for a higher price.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I've said this before, but I feel like repeating myself.

There are a lot of things I don't like about Blaine, but I have to give him credit for apparently ensuring that his name was attached to high quality product.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3010 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I'm yet to see them in person too but I'm disappointed by the whole thing (I told David directly). I own many of his "Split Spades" decks, new and old, spent a lot of money buying them, I really like that design, use them in my professional work all the time, but will now have to stop using them because those beautiful and sophisticated backs will be associate by the general public with "trick" decks.

A couple of people have told me that Bicycle decks also come in trick decks, yes, but they are primarily known in the public as regular decks of cards. When you see them in the supermarket or the drugstore, you see them as normal decks of cards, not trick decks.

The opposite will be true with the Split Spades decks, which will primarily be known as trick decks with the public.

Shame really. I felt David could've changed the back design for these trick decks.

:(
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1387 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I completely disagree. The percentage of peeps who see these and/or use them will be very small compared to those who don't. I wouldn't worry at all.
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
427 Posts

Profile of boinko
Who knows about split spades decks? No one except people who *buy* split spades decks.

I just used the new Blaine marked deck in an (old) Bicycle box. No one said a word. If I would have said, "I've got a Split Spades deck here" -- someone would have said, "What? You've got a what?"

No one knows, no one cares. And this was in a room full of card players. You'd think they'd at least notice the non-bicycle backs. They didn't. No one cared. They liked the trick (Trost's version of Reset). I didn't even need the marked backs, but it was all I had in my backpack. After the quick trick, I put the deck back in the box, put it back into my backpack, and that was that.

It was a "hey, show us a card trick" trick for people who hate card tricks.

BTW -- Maybe this is common knowledge, but I realized that as long as I have a Bicycle *box* I can use nearly any deck. They see the Bicycle box, and they know it's all normal. Very weird.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
You can buy spare bicycle boxes Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
427 Posts

Profile of boinko
Right. That's what I'm saying.

You get a Bicycle box, and you're set. Buy one, use an old one, whatever.

Plus -- who but a magician would know that the *boxes* are for sale.

:)
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6078 Posts

Profile of motown
If no cares, why do you need a bicyle box?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
427 Posts

Profile of boinko
Because if you use a "David Blaine Marked Deck" box, then they'll know something is up.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
I agree, the worry of the cards is an overreaction.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2201 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
The boxes for all 3 of the Blaine decks look like ordinary decks of cards. The outer packaging is of a size that could probably hold 2 decks of cards. It has the Blaine/magic/etc markings and descriptions. Once you take the deck out of the outer packaging, it looks like a variant of a Bicycle deck and the box is quite normal, mentioning nothing about magic.

I for one have no problem that these are being made available to the public. Magic is more accessible to the public nowadays anyway, so whether something is sold at Wal-Mart or on the Internet, none of it is exactly hard to find if someone is looking for it.

I think that quality magic props encourage youngsters to continue in magic. I wonder how many kids have given up on magic due to a poorly-made bit of magic kit not working properly, through no real fault of the user. If they'd gotten a decent quality trick that they could use to fool their friends and family, they'd be much more likely to continue their pursuit of magic.

When it comes to widely-available magic decks, Svengalis, Strippers, and Marked decks are already widely known to lay audiences, yet we're able to fool people with them daily. Nobody is paying such close attention to the deck designs other than us.

As I mentioned before, each deck is really well-made. The stripper and Svengali are of better quality than many I've seen that are designed for use by pro magicians. The marked deck is as easy (or easier) to read than the Ultimate Marked Deck. The cards are poker size, on good stock, and at a great price. The instructions for each deck were written by Joshua Jay and come with several routines.

These decks aren't about exposing the gaffs, they're about simple and inexpensive ways to introduce young people to the art of magic. I'd much rather see a high-quality item that properly guides and educates newcomers to the field than a cheap piece of junk that gets used for a week and then thrown into the closet. I know that David, Josh, and the others involved in bringing these to magic really care about teaching a new generation, rather than just revealing secrets.

I think we have everything to gain and really nothing to lose by these being available. I've been using Split Spade decks on and off since they first came out 4-5 years ago, and will continue to do so. I'm not worried in the slightest that someone may have seen a deck at Wal-Mart.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1387 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
So, anyone found these outside a magic shop yet?
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3010 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Hey god bless you guys, but if Blaine is successful in the marketing of these decks, they will be available at drug stores and those Split Spades backs will become recognizable as trick decks.

It's not for nothing that most of us don't use Fox Lake or Enardoe decks anymore.

I just don't want people whispering, "he's using a david blaine deck, I saw those at (your favorite drug store, walmart, kmart) yesterday, it's a trick deck!"

Really hope you guys are right that I'm overreacting.

As far as magic being available to the public, I don't have a problem with that at all, that's how I got started back in the 70's while visiting the magic shop on Main Street at Disneyland. The only issue I have is that I use Blaine's beautiful Split Spade decks in my work, and I rather not have those backs associated with trick decks.

Even so, there are other decks out there, I'm thinking of making the move to Tally-Ho Fan Backs.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10734 Posts

Profile of saysold1
As a Realtor for nearly 2o years this discussion reminds me of the debates some years ago in real estate circles about how public access to the internet could stop home sellers and buyers from wanting to call a Realtor. In the late 90's many were worried that access to web sites like Realtor.com (and later Zillow) would kill the business entirely because of the easy access the public would have.

In reality those fears turned out to be wholly false - and instead the public took an even greater interest in Real Estate (actually perhaps too great!).

Easier accessibility to quality magic items from the likes of Blaine and others can only help further the magical arts.

In reality hpw many average consumers will ever encounter these Blaine decks anyway? I perform ID for people every week and even if people have perhaps seen ID before...most are still amazed by it. This is a big world and there is plenty of room for quality magic and opening up the field to new generations.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
427 Posts

Profile of boinko
The actual issue with the DB marked decks -- nevermind the boxes or the fact that they're in K-Mart or whatever -- is that the marks are not particularly subtle. I know it's the Ted Lesley system, but when I got the deck a few days ago and slipped it out of the box, the marks jumped out at me.

I don't know if that's because I knew it was a marked deck and was immediately looking for a mark (I'd never owned a TL deck or read about his system, so I wasn't sure what I'd be looking for) but I was surprised at (what seemed to me, at least) the relatively obvious marks.

This is definitely a deck where you don't want to do a trick that looks like you're using a marked deck (even if you're doing a trick that's using the marked deck). I mean, "pull any card ... got one? ... okay, it's the three of spades" is not what you want to be doing with this deck.

Not that you'd do that trick anyway.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Just get one friggin deck and check it out. Sometimes this overly hypercritical analysis for cards gets stupid. In my very ignorant opinion.
If you seen the credits of the writing and the cards themselves, I'm so sure they said "Let's produce and market a ****ty deck of magic cards for the illiterate masses who just want to learn pick a card tricks"
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10734 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Just got the Mind Reading Deck (MD) today and I think it is FABULOUS. I was equally impressed with every aspect of the deck - The cards are Bicycle air cushion finish, split spades design obviously, easily the best deal out there for a quality ma****d deck.

I'm impressed! The direction have a classy intro from David Blaine about his introduction into magic - not hokey at all, but written in a way that would capture any kid (or adult's) imagination. There is also a nice into by Joshua Jay with background info on the MD and an overview of the history.

There is an emphasis here on the importance of really learning any of the tricks presented in the booklet accompanying the deck, emphasizing performance over the secrets of the effect.

Others have said elsewhere that Blaine was selling out or somehow cheapening magic by releasing these decks, but I would strongly disagree with any such notions. Admittedly I have only seen one deck thus far but Dabid Blaine's new deck reflects quality and much thought in every element of the design and execution.

Are there better MD's out there? Probably. But for the cost of entry and the quality of what you get, I think that these decks could be equally enjoyed by any pro or beginner alike.

I know some will gripe and poo-poo these David Blaine decks and I admit I was skeptical as well - but these new decks are ultra classy and a five start effort. Kudos to David Blaine, Joshua Jay, and many thanks for bringing these to market. I can see many aspiring magicians buying these and furthering the magical arts.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3726 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
To answer the question originally posed in the title to this thread...NO, thank goodness, I have NOT seen them.

Steve
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10734 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2010-11-21 11:02, Stevethomas wrote:
To answer the question originally posed in the title to this thread...NO, thank goodness, I have NOT seen them.

Steve

Cool - well then perhaps you will miss out on a nice piece Steve...

As I said, there are many who will brush these David Blaine decks off as cheap magic gimmickry (without ever seeing one ion person) destined for the mass market Wal-Greens/mart crowd ...and so be it.

But let be clear that IMHO there is nothing cheesy about the final product here - coupled with some strong routines (nine I think) and intelligently presented. I think these decks could actually break some new ground as they are a class act.

To me there is zero comparison with (for example) the Criss Angel Mindfreak products I have seen thus far - which are pretty much the same old re-packaged magic kits with some extra goodies and material - but overall toys.

Blaine and Joshua Jay aimed higher, and they have hit their mark. Time will tell if these are hot sellers, but the mental process that went into the quality of the cards, the instructions, routines, and advice/diagrams has set the quality bar several notches higher for consumer oriented magic than I have ever seen at this price point.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Blaine decks - anyone seen 'em? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL