The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk size for parasol production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Hey folks,

I'm starting to play with some parasol productions. I bought Joker Lam's Parasol Anywhere DVD and props (like everyone else), and I'm wondering what size silks to use as I start working on a routine.

I think the parasols closed are 18" long, so an 18" silk held by a corner is more than long enough. However, a 24" silk just adds a lot more fabric to cover the bulk the load. I might feel safer with a 24" silk, but I think 18" silks are a more natural looking size. (I use 18" silks in other effects.)

Any thoughts?

-Daniel

P.S. By the way...I've read some of the threads on parasol productions, and there is some concern that they're over-used and that everyone is using the same routine. This may be true in certain magic circles, but I've NEVER seen anyone do this live for a lay-audience. I suspect this will be a surprising and delightful effect for my family audiences (who have seen 1 or 2 birthday entertainers at most.) What's your experience?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7392 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have used 24" or 22" silks. Realize that you are looking at a diagonal of silk which is longer. Remember A squared + B squared = C Squared ?

I have seen this done for lay audiences many times. I sell a complete unit that is self contained. Ward Thomas featured this for years.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22736 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Richard, you know you go to more magic conventions, then most magician; of course you have seen parasol productions.

In many towns this has never been seen, in a town were we have many magic enthusiasts it has never been done, as a matter of fact, we do not have many magic shows for the public at all.

I really do not think this is over done at all, as most will not put the work in to actually perform parasol productions. Remember if you are going to do this at birthday parties in a home, be aware of the lamps and furniture. Don't need to distroying vases and stuff that your client regards as valuable.

It is really more of a visual thing, if on stage, 24" scarves are best as they will not look as small from a distance. You can use 18" scarves, but getting use to the large size is great. Of course with larger scarves, they cost more and this you may want to consider. I would look for an 8mm thread count as they will last longer with a heavier weight scarf.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I don't think that Richard was saying that it has been overdone, but that he has seen many of them.

My parasol production incorporates a table steal during a Kuma Tubes routine, which gives me plenty of cover. I think my apparatus was made by Magic Hands.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7392 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Exactly. Another consideration is what you will do with the parasols after you produce them. You don't want people playing with them or have to move around them when performing. But it is good effect without body loads as my preference.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Daniel,

You might consider using 21" silks. We still have some 21" and 15" silks on hand that we really stock for antique props. But they may solve your problem.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
dannsirs
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of dannsirs
Trying to find a production surrounded
Can parasol productions be done surrounded ?
Thank you in advance
Keep on Entertaining

Mark James
dannsirs@yahoo.com
http://www.UltimateDanceZone.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk size for parasol production (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL