The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Harakan appearing bird cage..rivet Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hpcman
View Profile
New user
NYC
94 Posts

Profile of hpcman
I need to replace a mini rivet on my harakan appearing cage where do I find one of these.

Thanks

Ben
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7346 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Look in the Thomas register. The problem is that you will have to buy a ton of them.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3998 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Also, try your local Ace or True Value hardware stores...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21687 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
A simple fix, is to buy some hobby brass wire. Cut to lenght more then you need. Hold the wire on a steel surface like a mini anvel. Tap with a hammer until the end flattens and spreads. Now place the nail looking wire in the cage holes. Place on the anvel again and tap the wire till it flattens. When bigger then the hole stop.

Not a prefect fix, but you will be able to use the cage again.

When looking for mini rivets, check out electrical stores, they use mini rivets for assemble and to hold boards and wires.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Magic Tad
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Magic Tad
I would recomend very small brass nails cut them short and use a heavy mettal surface like a hammer face or block of steel behind the nail. Hammering the rivet down should be done carefully. Its easy to bend in stead of mash. I have also wired my Bird cage together in an emergency. I keep some craft wire in my case for just such an occasion. Good luck Magic Tad
hpcman
View Profile
New user
NYC
94 Posts

Profile of hpcman
To clarify I have already made a temporary fix. I used a very thin nail bent it at a right angle and jeweler sawed off the rest. I would like to now do the "right" job. Harakan cages came with these extra rivets for just such an occasion. I bought these aftermarket and did not receive these rivets. I would like to know how to determine what size I need and where to get them.

Unfortunately all the small mom and pop hardware stores that I used to get help have closed down. The Home depot in my area has workers who hide from the people in the store to avoid question. When they are there they are trying to answer my question by reading the packaging in front of me.

Ben
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7346 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
My cages were brand new when I got them and did not have the rivets.

I think the brass nail head peaned down is the best answer. You could also put a very small drop of solder on the one side and trim it down.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7346 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Harakan appearing bird cage..rivet Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL