The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dilemma with Colin McLeod's Bolder Business (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
119 Posts

Profile of blpprt
Greetings All,
I love all the clever effects in Colin's "Opening Minds" DVD set and always wanted to do something where I draw a picture to more-or-less match a picture drawn by a spectator. His close-up version of "Bolder Business" is really spot on...but I have an issue with only one part.

After the spectator draws his/her picture on a business card, it is put picture-side down in the stack of other business cards the mentalist is holding. This is a necessary step. In a "normal" situation, it would seem more logical for the spectator to simply leave the card he/she drew on, on the table.

Can any of you give a motivation or justification that can be said to the spectator to give a reason for putting the card in the stack the mentalist is holding?

Many thanks!
Bob L.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Ahhhhhhhhhh¨! Smile
I would like to say if you don't find yourself an explanation don't do it, it's surely because it's not yet for you.
Normally you don't need to much thinking to find a solution, normally.
But we're here to help the fellow magician.
So, Buy and read Corinda, Annemann, waters then come back to the dvd.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
119 Posts

Profile of blpprt
Anyone with a better response than parmenion?

Bob L.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1637 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Why don't you start by sharing what you have come up with so far? No use reinventing the wheel is there?
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
London/New York
1279 Posts

Profile of Colin
Never been a problem for me, I kinda don't think about it... my motivation is "I'm helping make this fairer"... I put the stack down right away too, so it never arouses suspicion.

...It's an absolute mindset though!

Col. Smile
Epiphanies by C. - Now available - http://colincloud.com/colleagues/
blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
119 Posts

Profile of blpprt
Thanks, Colin. I appreciate your response.
In response to bdekolta...I usually do strolling stuff so, my "excuse" or motivation to put it in the stack of cards is that since there is no table available to set the card down, the next best option is to stick it there. I could have mentioned this at the outset but wanted to hear what others had to say first.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1637 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Well it is nice to know what you have already thought about so we don't cover the same ground. It also gives people an idea of the directions you think in. But that is just me.
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
I don't know the routine and am working from the description of the action here.

That said, might a simple command to "Bury it" suffice?
Euan4
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
147 Posts

Profile of Euan4
I personally think that if you mention it or bring any attention to it then they will not suspect a thing. Also putting the stack down straight away, like Colin said, also helps to reinforce that nothing is out the ordinary. Do it all like its natural and confidently and no one will suspect a thing.

Just my two cents!

Euan Smile
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
My advice is not bad I think but I understand people don't want to listen this kind of advice nowadays it's all and right now.
What shame for our art.
I think it doesn't bring it up.
<BR>
Rebecca_Harris
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Rebecca_Harris
You're thinking about it too much, as Euan said if you act naturaly towards it and bring any attention to it, people will think nothing of it. Your presentation should take the attention away from the card. How do you recieve the image, psychology, through transmission, what ever it is, play this up, really act it out and people will forget about the card.

I've got a few routines where a business card is put back onto a stack in my hand, I just ask for the card to be returned when they've finished with it. I've never once been called up on it.
ChrisWall
View Profile
Regular user
England
115 Posts

Profile of ChrisWall
I agree with Euan4. They don't know what's coming and if you don't draw attention to it and do it with confidence like it was natural they won't suspect a thing. It's only you that knows you're going to try to duplicate it so just do it. As Gok Wan would say "It's all about the confidence." (If you're not from Britain then that might not make much sense but the phrase still applies)
"Have your cake and eat it... there's no other reason to have a cake" - Derren Brown

http://www.chrisreadsminds.co.uk
blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
119 Posts

Profile of blpprt
Many thanks for the responses. That helps a lot! That's the sort of feed-back I was looking for.
Best to all,
Bob
magic maniac
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
The question is a reasonable one, as I can't help but feel the little bit of dirty business cools the thermometer of conviction by a few degrees. However, it needs to happen, and the advice given here is sage.

On that note, I recently purchased Danny Archers latest lecture notes which added a very nice subtlety/convincer to address the other glaring issue in the laymen's point of view.

Why is this relevant to the thread ?

Well because after a little thought, I've added a touch myself which allows you to give the stack right back to the laymen or a third party to hold onto with 100% confidence. With the natural time displacement added throughout the routine, the laymen will forget you even touched the stack. I feel these added touches address both problems, and strengthens the conviction. Also, as a byproduct, it turns this piece into a true strolling effect - no table necessary.

If your REALLY interested in fleshing this piece out into a nice routine, I highly recommend Ran Pinks 'Tactilis'. I use the first phase of the routine which immediately focuses on having the laymen read my thoughts. This phase is done after I return the stack back to their hands, and ensures the laymen is focusing on my thoughts, not the stack (not that it matters in my case).

Yahoo & Toodaloo!

P.S. - I don't own Colin's DVD set (yet), and I'm not sure how his routine is structured. I only posted because the original requires the same bit of business in question. I apologize if his handling has already addressed the 'other' issue, or is a true strolling effect.
Euan4
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
147 Posts

Profile of Euan4
My post was meant to say if you don't mention it or bring any attention to it.

Euan Smile
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2265 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2010-11-18 03:56, parmenion wrote: My advice is not bad I think but I understand people don't want to listen this kind of advice nowadays it's all and right now. What shame for our art. I think it doesn't bring it up.

I think you make too many assumptions about the OP.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
I don't think so, unfortunately.
<BR>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dilemma with Colin McLeod's Bolder Business (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL