The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Outlaw's Scorpion (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On 2010-11-19 22:55, Roth wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-11-19 21:32, Bob1Dog wrote:
Cicero, I thought of the balloon too and I like that as well....but if you let the spec touch it, how do you know that he/she doesn't have something in close proximity that would compromise the gimmick or give it away? That's my biggest fear...impaling someone with it if they're wearing the wrong material! (if y'all get my gist....)

Hi Guys. Thanks Tony for sharing the subtleties you use.

You cannot be impaled by the Scorpion Smile The spikes are less than 1 inch long and have a "bed of nails" effect due to the close proximity of the tiny spikes.

I can actually toss it from hand to hand, I can squeeze my hand down on the ball to some extent.

I have several customers that have painted a thick piece of bolsa wood and then drop the scorpoin on it to show it sticks in the wood.

I have seen a wonderful presentation where the performer shreds newspaper with it to show the "danger" element.

I actually use wood tongs similar to the ones in the demo video and let the spec use the wood tongs too.

If you are that concerned my friend it might not be something that is right for you.

Thank you for inquiring Smile

-Rick

I would be afraid to allow it to be touched for fear that there might still be amanita phalloides on the tips. Smile
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Quote:
On 2011-01-10 22:21, Roth wrote:
Origami Makibishi ŽT‚«•H

Those are compound models ?

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
[quote]On 2011-01-11 18:47, Jim-Callahan wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-10 22:21, Roth wrote:
Origami Makibishi ŽT‚«•H

Those are compound models ?

Yes they are. My wife teaches origami (she's Japanese, not that that matters) although she did not do these.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Rick, I just thought I'd add on that I built a brick of balsa wood and painted it black as you suggested. Very nice method to illustrate the potential dangers of the Makibishi. Great tip.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Julian Kestrel
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of Julian Kestrel
As the photos above show the scorpion is not reflective of the design of known caltreps or makabishi. It looks more like the ball from a mace and chain than a caltrep or Makabishi.
Julian Kestrel
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of Julian Kestrel
It would be interesting to actually make one that looks like the real thing.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2011-01-14 18:50, Julian Kestrel wrote:
It would be interesting to actually make one that looks like the real thing.

We took some creative license with the design so the prop would work the way we wanted it to. Guys that have it apparently have never been questioned about the "look" and its been out 3 years.

We have no plans to change it, but if you think you can achieve the same effect with a different design I'd be happy to try to make one for you.

What you can't see by the pictures is it's not a ball shape, it is flared out at the bottom and stands, it will not roll.

Thanks!
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Brynmore13
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
485 Posts

Profile of Brynmore13
Quote:
On 2011-01-10 20:42, Julian Kestrel wrote:
Question: can anyone provide photographic evidence of makibishi or caltreps that in any way resemble the use of this prop? I like the theme but in my research I have found nothing to support this being an accurately represented prop. Please post links as I would love to be convinced.

Julian

Better late than never:

http://s612.beta.photobucket.com/user/Ge......jpg.html

One a side note, I run a facebook page called thwe Brisbane Historical Research Society, which has members from various Ninjutsu schools. I posted a picture of the Scorpion on this page last year and I have had no one challenge the authenticity of the Scorpion, as it does ressemble some of the naturally occuring spike covered seed pods that have been used a Caltrops in various parts of the world in history.

Brynmore

Click here to view attached image.
All is perceived through the gate of the mind.
Presarian
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Presarian
But the current outlaw's design make it look more sinister with spikes all over em don't you agree? Or it just llooks like a sea urchin haha
Brynmore13
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
485 Posts

Profile of Brynmore13
I love the current design, it looks like a very efficient poison delivery system.
All is perceived through the gate of the mind.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I just ordered this - just curious please how to utilize this in a Russian Roulette style routine? Mount the Scorpion on a wood base with other bases of similar weight?

Yes/no? Any advice would be appreciated. Gracias!
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Cork Coasters work fine.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I have not done this,maybe you could do it on a turn table!(Lazy Susan)
Where she stops,nobody knows!(except you,you hope!) Smile
Perhaps,over the top!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Keruptis
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Keruptis
I recently got this effect, it is fantastic.

I recommend using Corinda's muscle reading to perform. Downside is that once in a while you miss and nail the scorpion with your palm.

Good thing is that with the scorpion, although this leaves small scars on your palm, it does not penetrate the muscle like the knife smash and stabs, therefore, you can still do the coin roll.

Also, when you show the scars on your palm to your specs, they get a little freaked out, because they know you are nuts, and might miss again.

Builds great tension.
Gismologic
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of Gismologic
I disclose that I am deathly allergic to Peanuts...
So, I roll the bugger in concentrated peanut (actually vegetable) oil w/rubber gloves.
I then give a spec. my loaded Adrenalin pen Antidote while eplaining Pulp-Fiction style instructions

Provides nice tension..,.
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2015, Gismologic wrote:
I disclose that I am deathly allergic to Peanuts...
So, I roll the bugger in concentrated peanut (actually vegetable) oil w/rubber gloves.
I then give a spec. my loaded Adrenalin pen Antidote while eplaining Pulp-Fiction style instructions

Provides nice tension..,.

That is some great thinking!
Thanks for sharing such a original idea!
Gismologic
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of Gismologic
At ECSS Rich Nakata and Mike Henry actually did a classic Carnie signal routine ..without ring and using tall cups...
No muscle reading...just folk that know each other well enough.
Old magic often has the power to impress the most...
Gismologic
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of Gismologic
Children especially adore this effect and the Japanese Warlord/ninja back story.
A beautiful prop with ample routines to start with, this effect also KILLS with old folk !
I have worked this in Alzheimer's Units and the reactions are always wondrous and happy !
Risk is both simple and primal
One for the ages..
Cheers to the folk at Outlaw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Outlaw's Scorpion (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL