The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Chinese Lantern Shadow Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I've always been enamoured with the Shadow Box illusion, but until recently, I didn't really have a place for it in my show. However, with my oriental show taking flight, I'd like to use this effect if it can be customized to fit my needs. So, I was wondering if anyone is currently building a shadow box with wings made to look like a large, ornate, Chinese lantern. Thanks.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Seems like someone had one much like you describe for sale on here a week or so ago...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
I believe Rand Woodbury has something like this in Illusionworks I that you could build.
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1434 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Rands is actually in Paul Osbourne's Begin to Build Your Own Illusions Vol. 3, I believe. And it is also, and vertical shadow box using a different method than traditional shadow boxes.

Kent, are you looking to buy one, build one, get plans for one or see pictures of one?
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
I love shadowboxes and to me are my favorite. Ive never seen a lantern but could picture what you are thinking. I have seen a shadowbox designed with an oriental feel to it, saying this, instead of it being square it was more octogonal on the front and back. Same illusion, just a different look to it. I liked it!

What I could seee as far as a lantern is this. A base, a pole going upwards in the back that eventually jets out over the middle of the base. Hanging from the pole is a giant round lantern scrunched up. Also hanging from the pole is a bulb. You can see all around the base area. The bulb is turned on, the lantern is unscrunched downward to the base (velcros to base for sturdyness). Next all of a sudden a shadow is in the lantern. Lantern is scrunched back upward to pole and girl is sitting on base in oriental pose with large robe on. Does not have traditional shadowbox method, instead the girl is hiding in the "four letter word".

The lantern could be made with two hula hoops. One on the top of the cloth and one on the bottom. They could be hung together on pole, then when bottom hoop is released it drops down forming a enclosed cloth tube...decorate the cloth how you wish. Hope that is easily understood. In a sense like a slinky, but with cloth holding it all together and not metal slinky wire. Can be scrunched and lengthened back and forth..hula hoops hold the form together at top and bottom.

What I don't like with shadowboxes are the large cabinet sized ones....where the person appears in a box that could hold 10 people. The whole mystery of the shadowbox is a person appears in a box that barely has room for them, much less a place to hide. The cabinet boxes, to me, are worthless effectwise.

Personally, id stick with a oriental design of a traditional box. I like the lantern idea, but don't like using "four letter words" if I don't have to.

Heres what you get when you google images shadow box illusion... most are traditional. Personally, ive always thought that the wings on shadowboxes made shadowboxes look oriental, especially if designed right.

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&......&bih=706
BBunnell
View Profile
Regular user
Utah
115 Posts

Profile of BBunnell
Yes, I have built one with the wings. The first time I saw the illusion was on one of Doug Hennings first T.V. shows. I liked it. Then Mr. Henning came to Salt Lake and we visited after the show and I talked to him about the wings.

I bult mine based on the version in Tarbel and then added the wings. Everything comes apart and folds flat. The one thing I did was to put a hook and an eyelet on the bottom of the wing and the base to hold it in place. I also use material on the sides and back that match the color of the paper in the front.

It is a crowed pleaser and everyone talks about it after my show.
Your Friend in MAGIC
Bruce
numamagic@yahoo.com
www.numamagic.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Jonathan Pendragon has used one with fabric wings,like a junk (a kind of boat) sail. With a little more decor it could be made to look even more oriental.

Blair
John Bundy
View Profile
Regular user
USA
193 Posts

Profile of John Bundy
There is a wonderful Oriental themed
girl from the light detailed in
Albo's "The Oriental Magic of the
Bramergs" page #215. The sweeping
legs look fantastic.

There was also a great looking
prop on last years "Masters of Magic".
One of the best I have seen in a long time.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Great info everyone! I read in the Doug Henning book that he was first one to add wings to his Shadow Box so it didn't have to play as far upstage. Unfortunately, most of the Shadow Boxes I have seen with wings don't really have any justification for them. They are simply these "things" that are there for no apparent reason. The oriental lantern would make perfect sense of the wings as well as the lighting of the box inside (after all, it is a lantern). The really nice thing about this is that the design would fit perfectly in my Oriental Fusion show.

Now, I've learnt a long time ago that, when it comes to illusions, defer to the experts. I'm not a builder. I'm a performer. I don't have any hesitation locating a quality builder and having this illusion built properly to fulfill the vision I have for it. So, if anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
Kent,

I would talk to Mr. Baker (member here) about this. Look up his wonderful props.

http://www.themagiccompany.com/cat_main.html

Best,

Las
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Quote:
On 2010-11-19 17:16, Christian Illusionist wrote:
I believe Rand Woodbury has something like this in Illusionworks I that you could build.

Christian, you're right. It's a very large shadow box designed for the production of 4 girls and could be used aswell as a Bump in the Night Cabinet effect.
The design would be perfect for a chinese lantern. It has those wings on the angles of the on a table elevated box and the all white pannels have black crossing lines on it.

Oliver.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

John,

I looked it up last night also, truly awesome.

Blair
BBunnell
View Profile
Regular user
Utah
115 Posts

Profile of BBunnell
Please pm me. I built mine when I was a sophomore in high school back in the 70's and still use it today. I believe you can do it on your own.
Your Friend in MAGIC
Bruce
numamagic@yahoo.com
www.numamagic.com
Xavier
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
209 Posts

Profile of Xavier
Mr Pendragon has a great design on his latest illusion DVD series. They are made of cloth and look like junk sails (traditional chinese boat). Looks great when the light also can be seen through these as well as the paper sides. This IMO aides the deceptiveness of the illusion by making the entire prop semi-transparent.
illusiontech
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
210 Posts

Profile of illusiontech
Kent,

Thom Rubino and I (Formerly "Illusion by your Design") have built a shadowbox that looks like a Chinese Lantern. If you want more info I would be glad to help.
See Attached Photo

Vinny

Click here to view attached image.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Sweet looking shadow box Vinny!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Vinny,

Looks cool!

Without knowing your presentation with this unit, I would think hanging a light/lantern (the light) from the cross pieces above would look good, it could then be lowered into the box when you wish. It would add some purpose for the structure above the box.

Blair
illusiontech
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
210 Posts

Profile of illusiontech
Blair,

This was built for a client and had many cool features, I'm not sure how they presented it with the light, but that is a great idea. The base is all steel frame to avoid tipping (a guy was produced) and the finish is Red & Black Laminate.

Vinny
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Vinny,

That's EXACTLY what I had in mind!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
wanmagic
View Profile
Regular user
tulsa, ok
185 Posts

Profile of wanmagic
Wow love that look Vinny. That has to be one of the coolest shadow boxes I have seen. Just a side note on the very first M__K Magician show they called it the chinese lantern.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Chinese Lantern Shadow Box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL