The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Large piece of some kind of bustable white sheet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alex Kilcup
View Profile
New user
Sault Ste. Marie
48 Posts

Profile of Alex Kilcup
Hi, I am building a new, LARGE shadow screen illusion...7'x7' to be exact, and I need to know where abouts can I find something to cover that opening? I would like it to be white, and also be able to bust through it. Any ideas would GREATLY be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex Kilcup
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Check with a sign shop. If that doesn't work, could you piece together butcher paper or tablecloth paper and paint some sort of design, like window mullions, along the seams?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7402 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Table closth covering is a good option. You may want to run a perforation blade on the paper where you plan to break through.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Find out what football teams use when they run onto the field.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7402 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Some of them use a Tyvec material with Velcro on the tear through area.

But you have not lived until you lead the team through the paper and fall flat on your face......I've lived.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-11-20 17:18, hugmagic wrote:
Some of them use a Tyvec material with Velcro on the tear through area.

But you have not lived until you lead the team through the paper and fall flat on your face......I've lived.

Richard

I've seen that kind of episode on many blooper shows! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Alex Kilcup
View Profile
New user
Sault Ste. Marie
48 Posts

Profile of Alex Kilcup
Thanks everybody...I like the butcher paper idea(its what I currently use) but unfortunately I am out and there isn't enough time to order a new roll in (first show for this prop is Dec 10th, so I am going to try the table cloth approach. Hopefully my video will be able to project onto that. If not I will take a large white bed sheet and use velcro tabs all around it, and then I will be able to just rip it off.

Alex Kilcup
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2010-11-22 13:30, Alex Kilcup wrote:
Thanks everybody...I like the butcher paper idea(its what I currently use) but unfortunately I am out and there isn't enough time to order a new roll in (first show for this prop is Dec 10th, so I am going to try the table cloth approach. Hopefully my video will be able to project onto that. If not I will take a large white bed sheet and use velcro tabs all around it, and then I will be able to just rip it off.

Alex Kilcup

Butcher paper should be available at any restaurant or janitorial supply house in Sault Ste. Marie (Michigan or Ontario)...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Alex Kilcup
View Profile
New user
Sault Ste. Marie
48 Posts

Profile of Alex Kilcup
I don't really know of any type of store rather in Soo Mich or Soo Ont. I'm gonna go out tomorrow looking around and ill update everyone what I find.

Alex Kilcup
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Many years ago when I ran out of butcher paper, I simply went to the meat department of the local supermarket and told them I was in a bind.
They let me buy a roll from them.
Sadly, I lost it in a divorce. Never did figure out what she needed it for!

-Philip
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
372 Posts

Profile of chill
If she was anything like my last she needed it to p*ss you off.

Quote:
On 2010-11-23 11:53, Servante wrote:
Many years ago when I ran out of butcher paper, I simply went to the meat department of the local supermarket and told them I was in a bind.
They let me buy a roll from them.
Sadly, I lost it in a divorce. Never did figure out what she needed it for!

-Philip
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Hm. Might be the same woman.

-Philip
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yeah, I was about to say, she didn't need it for anything... she just didn't want YOU to have it.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Alex Kilcup
View Profile
New user
Sault Ste. Marie
48 Posts

Profile of Alex Kilcup
Sorry for not being on in a while I have been very busy recently. I talked to some people...and what I have done is on the 8x8frame I have put small velcro tabs all around it, and on the sheet I have sewn on the other side of tabs to a modified king size bed sheet...I then just have to grab the sheet and pull.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Alex,

That is a good alternative. Schools used to be able to buy ginormous rolls of "craft paper". Seems to me like they were about 7 or 8 feet wide. You might want to check witrh a local school in the Soo or Cheboygan, St. Iggy or Mackinaw City. They might be able to guide you.

I live in Harrisville...just two hours south of the bridge...I get to the Soo frequently. We ought to get together Sometime.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Another possibility is to buy the end rools of newsprint from a printer. Thin enough for light to shine through (I think) yet thin enough to bust through easily.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Large piece of some kind of bustable white sheet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL